Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Map in 'What You Leave Behind'. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Map in 'What You Leave Behind'.
SIR SIG
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well what can i say, love the info going round here. And am trying to make the map make sense.

* The lines must be cardie/dominion territory. The internal one the cardies actual territory, the next one the hazy line around any space/territory. The other 2 lines are the dominion expansion both what they've got and the hazy area.
* The Dominion took Betazed and thus took control of the Kalendra Sector. Then to hold it they were expanding through the Argolis cluster (which they held, next to their big sensor array)and thus opening a line of supply between their own space and the large gap between there and Betazed. Obviously they succeeded all the lines east woudln't be there.
* The big Klingon Symbol is probably the 1500 Klingon ships coming (at the time) only a day away.
* Direct south of Bajor where there are 3 arrows each way may be Chintoka where the dominion took it back.
* Benzar seems obvious to the NE where theres alot of movement and thus Romulans?

Thats all of got for now. Some feedback please, since what you had here was very good.

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree on most of these points. The role of the yellow solid and dotted lines is a bit unclear, since they appear to be too static to represent the territory held by Cardassia (the lines near DS9 should move back and forth between the maps, at least) and too dynamic to represent some "fixed features" like prewar borders or big astrophysical phenomena (since the shape of the northeast bulge near Cardassia changes noticeably between the maps).

Also, the Klingon logo is too static to represent a fleet, or then there is a major coincidence in that a big Klingon fleet always happens to be in the same place when we get to see the map... I'd assume this is a Klingon forward command post or something equally static.

An interesting bit of trivia: the "comm dish" logo denoting AR-558 has a long history. Apparently, this logo is a generic Federation symbol for subspace comm nodes, and it extends way back to ST:TMP. It decorated the uniforms of the Epsilon IX station crew in the opening scenes of that movie!

I'm currently engaged in a bitter battle to get a map based on this thread displayed in the net. My main opponents at the moment are Microsoft Winzip (which prefers to zip my pictures into nice solid monocolors - black, mostly) and a diskette that refuses to disgorge its contents. Expect results later this week - or hopefully at least before Christmas.

Timo Saloniemi

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

Good on ya Tino!
Well during a brainstorm the other night i've got other ideas.
*Turn the map right 90 degrees, stay with me now. Then the standard lines near Bajor and between SB375 are the old DMZ. Where the lines south of Bajor narrow and head east would be the curve of the old zone.
*Still with me? In the reckoning Sisko is actually jumping the guns and pointing at Benzar where the Rommies take back space. Thus the diiference in lines between maps and also a nice northerly approach for the rommies as well where the dominion likely sent there ships across neutral space to romulan neutral zone. Benzar is a new fed member of 10 or less years so that fits with it being isolated.
*Of course Ferengi are in/near fed space/part contolled fed space.
*The battle direct se from bajor would be Betazed.
*NE is actually Vulcan warfront, slightly more NE (behind rommie's head) would be Earth and thus the weird hatching top border line could well be the alpha/beta border just 5 sectors from Bajor.
*The battle lines south of Bajor are chintoka, with some dominion forces expanding after breaking the line where 310 ships of alliance were disabled by breen wp. Then the other arrows would be containing the line/breach.
*Did a rough map and distances seem good for fed inner periemeter and such. Plus defiant left ds9 to meet battle group at chintoka to sure it up.
*The klingon sysmbol? Didnt notice it was static. Maybe a forward base such as ty'gokor, not deep klingon territory but close enough for distance such as sacrifce of angels where worf meets gowron for ships on Qo'nos 3.5 days away???. So maybe he was close to the front. Also explains Apocalyspe rising for closenest to DS9.
*Whooh, i think it works but feed back please!

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of feedback, I'll finally publish the version of Christian R�hl's map I've been working on. I'll add a zoom-in to the DS9 war region, but this prewar, larger-scale map will already give some indication of what I'm up to. Thanks to Ritten, the map is now at http://www.majinc-web.com/startrek/maplocal.jpg .

I'll probably move the Breen closer to the Cardassians soon. Also, pay no attention to the cut-and-mispaste errors (the other Galorndon Core on the far right, etc). I'll try to clean those up, too. And I'll do a war map, too, although I predict it will be an unholy mess.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice map ... but I don't think the Federation actually surrounds Romulan space ... ::Shrug::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, presumably, Romulan space is supposed to be above or below Fed space. Not contained within it.

Shouldn't the Great Barrier be more circular? I assume this is the ST5 Great Barrier, which was supposed to hold "God" in. The way it is on the map wouldn't do that very well. And, if it's supposed to be the other Great Barrier... that just surrounds the galaxy.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Timo
Member # 245

Yup, I'm saying that the Romulan Star Empire is a little easter egg completely surrounded by UFP space from every direction. So there! I'm currently in the process of possibly opening up the top right side of the egg, based on new evidence I got from "Tin Man", though.

And I'm also saying that the Great Barrier (of ST5 fame) is just a discontinuous anomaly between Earth and the galactic core, mistaken for an impassable obstacle by the ignorant 23rd century people. The false god was in my interpretation imprisoned within one cloud of this Barrier thing, not inside a sphere of such clouds. At least, the visuals of ST5 (the only good visuals in that movie, really) did not suggest an empty space around the prison planet, but seemed to show the clouds bellowing all around it and almost touching it.

So IMHO, the prison planet was inside the Great Barrier mostly by coincidence. The walls of the cell didn't consist of the barrier (which was bogus anyway, as Sybok proved by taking the Enterprise through it) but of some other mechanism built into the planet. Perhaps there weren't any walls at all, and the critter was imprisoned simply through the sad fact that it couldn't fly through space?

The main rationale for my choice of GB shape was that it has to separate Earth from the galactic core, as per the dialogue, yet it cannot be anywhere near the galactic core since it is far too distant for the travel times to work. Putting a compact little cloud sphere thingy somewhere between Earth and the core would have looked odd and not very barrierlike. A wall or chain of clouds could more easily be mistaken for a barrier.

Funnily enough, the Cygnus rift is a real-world "barrier" in that direction, although I believe it is a bit farther away. There are also several supernova bubble wavefronts in the general area; perhaps interference between these bubbles is what has created the GB?

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe ST5 was shite, and should be ignored. :-)

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

What of klingon space, they must be near cardies and of course the attack on breen space in the 2nd dynasty

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

Timo
Member # 245

I think the current congestion is close enough. It doesn't matter much if there is UFP space in between - the Klingons can still send conquest fleets across to wallop the Breen. Traveling through UFP space has never been a problem for anybody, especially if cloaking devices are used.

Klingons didn't seem to have any sort of intimate knowledge of the Breen, anyway. Worf even believed nobody had even seen a Breen outside his suit, even though Kira and Dukat most definitely did back in "Indiscretion". I'd say that the Feds were much better informed, since for example Eddington knew Breen nursery rhymes!

I put the Betreka Nebula between the Klingons and the Cardies for that little 18-year conflict of theirs. Never mind that the nebula is in formally UFP space - the incident apparently took place in 2333-51, judging by Bashir's "after 20 years of peace" comments, and back in 2333 the Klingons weren't very good buddies with the Feds (this was before "Yesterday's Enterprise" of 2344) and wouldn't necessarily have listened if the Feds told them to tone it down.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that "The Barrier" was the "centre of the galaxy" per se, but at the time it was an inpenetrable barrier for the technology of the time... it was probably like some thousand light year curtain that was draped between known space and the space towards the galactic core - once it had been penetrated - people again began to explore beyond it... were they found the Cardassians, then the Breen and then the Ferengi...

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

My map is similiar although i have rotated cardie space 90 degrees right so its length is parallal to alpha/beta border

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These things we know... well pretty much agree on...

Romulans - mostly Beta Q
Cardassians - Alpha Q
Klingons - Some in Alpha and Beta Q's
Feds - Some in Alpha and Beta Q's

So thats how the placements should be initially set out.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

From 'In the Pale Moonlight' we get the general idea Rommies are surrounded very closely on 3 sides
spin:cardie
rim:fed
anti:kling

Also once the treaty was broken, rommies were attacking cardies border within a day so say 1 sector away?

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Romulan ships might have been cloaked and moved into positions by the High Command to strike either the Federation OR the Dominion ... you know those Romulans

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps