Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Map in 'What You Leave Behind'. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Map in 'What You Leave Behind'.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, apart from STVI, has it ever been said on-screen that the Rommies and Klingons are in the Beta Quadrant?

Talking to people who watch DS9 (and maybe TNG), but don't read up on Star Trek, they got the impression that everyone is in the Alpha Quadrant. In fact, DS9 seemed to be quite specifi most of the time saying that it was the "Alpha Quadrant races" against the Dominion.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were that our only source, I would tend to agree. But the fact that people like Sternbach and Okuda, who are the people who presumably field such questions as "Hey, what quadrant are those Klingon dudes in again?" have come out with references to said empires being in the Beta Quadrant suggests that the two are, in fact, there. I think.

You've also got the evidence from Voyager, where the Romulans stealing the Prometheus make a beeline towards the Beta Quadrant.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know Okuda and Sternbach say they're in the Beta Quadrant, but, honestly, how many people who watch the show have access to that information? Most non-obsessive viewers only know what they are told. And they were told repeatedly that all the good old TOS and TNG regular aliens were in the Alpha Quadrant.

If they started to reference the Beta Quadrant at great length suddenly, it would confuse a lot of people. At this point, wouldn't it be easier for them to just lump everyone in the AQ, and ignore two lines in a movie, and one line in an episode?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it would be. But so far they have not, so I'm guessing they have their reasons for keeping things as we think they are, even if they don't bring that information up very often.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know... if we ignore the 'Okuda/Sternback' version of things - we could reset the skew-iff quadrants back to the cartesian norm... that would then explain away the lack of mention of the Beta Quadrant on Voyager's jouney back home!

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
From what ive heard rommies have a little AQ territory while klingons could have uptp a 1/3 of their territory in AQ.

The map im doing with cardie space long ways parallal to A/B border has DS9 about 5 sectors off the line and a 150 ly fed inner perimeter (tip off the hat to TOS StarTrek Maps) + 50.3 ly to SB375 + 30 odd ly to DS9
DS9-Earth app. 230 ly
Prob similar dist. to Romulus and Q'onos.

I of course rotated my space 90 degree right to reflect diff between trek and real maps.

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the link is dead!

------------------
"There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing."
-Gaseous Anomaly, December 11, 2000
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps