Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Tarellian - correct identification? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tarellian - correct identification?
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the name "Tarellian" goes, it is the species that appears in TNG's "Haven" trying to make the landing. In that episode, the aliens' physiology is similar to humans. In TNG's "Liaisons", where Picard is stranded by the Iyaarans in an attempt to understand human emotions, there is a downed freighter. The sole "survivor" identifies it as the remains of a Tarellian vessel, and Picard says something along the lines of "You're not Tarellian, unless you've lost four arms".

Are the two terms references to two distinct species, or is there a spelling difference between the two?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

[This message has been edited by Starship Voyager (edited July 06, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be one of those two, or a screw up by the writers. If I were betting on it, I'd take door number three.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited July 06, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the encyclopedia says that they're two different races with different spellings.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the various pronounciations I've heard, We seem to have:
Turellians
Tarellians
Terellians
Talarians
Telerians
&
Tellarians (Tellarites?)

Methinks some folks just aren't creative.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*computer voice* The United Federation of Planets is brough to you by the letter 'T.'
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that list.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What list? My long list of all the races starting with 'T'? I wonder if I still have that anywhere. . .
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For three years now I have been creating what I hope is the definitive supplement for the Encyclopedia. Already at more than a hundred pages in length one section includes races. Here is what I have relevant to this thread:
Talarians--the warrior race from "Suddenly Human"
Tarellians--the plague people from "Haven"
Terellians--Four-armed humanoids from "Liaisons" and perhaps "Unification"
Terrelians--Unseen race mentioned in "Gravity" and "Infinite Regress"
Terrellians--A race mentioned in "Life Support" and seen in "The Fight"
Tyrellians--Unseen race from a planet with no atmosphere or magnetic pole from "Starship Mine".

Hope this helps. I even have a UFP member list.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Firsty put up a list one day, with all the words used as names and the like, that started with T. It was a long list.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

The First One
Member # 35

A VERY long list. Damn, where'd I put it? I'm not going through the whole encyclopedia again, especially since the sheer number of entries suggest that there must be an average of 5 new T-races per season of Trek, which means there must be 20 more by now!
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for clearing this up.

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T�Lani
T�lli Betans
T�Rogorans
Takrit
Tagrans
Taguans
Takarans
Tak Tak
Talarians (1)
Talarians (2)
Talavians
Talaxians
Tallonians
Talosians
Tamarians
Tanugans
Tarahongians
Tarellians
Taresians
Tarkan
Tarkanians
Tarkannans
Travelers
Tavnians
Tellarites
Terellians
Terrelians
Terrellians
Thasians
Tholians
Tilavians
Tilonians
Tosk
Trabalians
Trabe
Trill
Troyians
Tygarians
Tyrellians
Tzenkethi

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tubuler.

------------------
"Kill me if thou wilt, detestable Huron; I will go no farther."-Cora, Last of the Mohicans

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Totally!!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the decidedly un-Talarian looking Talarian seen on DS9 and pictured in the Encyclopedia.

------------------
"They don�t call it show business for nothing. This is an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly town in many, many ways. But big f*cking deal. Big business is ugly. The world is ugly. Our job is to make our little piece of it better. Whenever you get into the general, it�s not going to be all beer and Skittles and Christmas trees."
-Ira Stephen Behr on the Moore fiasco

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps