Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I love Star Trek tooooo much (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love Star Trek tooooo much
StarTrekKiddy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Is that possible? Can I enjoy the series' too much?

I go home at night and watch maybe 4 episodes before going to bed..... I find trek women to be the best lookers ever, and reality just isn't as exciting.

I get alot of abuse from my less nice pals about it, and sometimes I get upset, but surely theres nothing wrong with enjoying a bit of roddenberys work.

I don't know. HELP ME

IP: Logged
HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I used to be like you and then I grew out of it (basically I watched the second thur fourth seasons of B5 compared it to Voyager and became disappointed in the comparasion). But just because it happened to me doesn't mean it will happen to you. Wait you ask if I don't like Star Trek why I am here? Mostly it's it's the people on this board are fun to talk to and I missed visiting here .

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STK, as long as you can still discern the difference between Star Trek as a hobby and Star Trek as a way of life. I think everyone here has a story about "that fan I saw at a convention" or "that guy at opening day," the people who take it too far, the people who just have nothing else.

Don't become a fan that other fans pity, and remember that Jamie Hubbard from "The Dauphin" is mine, all mine. (maniacal laughter)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what you think! *starts brawling w/ Xentrick*

:-)

------------------
"They gave the ferret a teleprompter!"
-Louie the Lizard, Budweiser commercial

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion to you would be, like it as much as you want, but don't go shouting it from the rooftops. IMHO you'll grow out of it. (Figuratively speaking).

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suluhombre: George once told a story of TPTB had promised him he would have more to do, and the next season, he was splitting time and sharing his dressing room with Walter. They became close friends.

StarTrekKiddy: I was lucky enough not to take abuse from friends over trek. You should try some other things now and then. Outdoors, sunshine, food. I have been reaing books and watching other TV shows latley.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited July 12, 1999).]

StarTrekKiddy
Ex-Member

Thanks for responding people - you seem like a nice bunch here. I think you have a good atmosphere on this board because of our shared love of things sci-fi. Its almost as if the utopia and peace demonstrated on a starship is reflected here - even if only in a small way - which is really exciting, because maybe my "dream star trek life" is possible here and now.

Maybe I should stop there though before I rant on too much and convince you all that I really am obsessive. No, I'll just tell you because I think you'll be cool about it. You see, its not like ST is a religion in my life, its not, but its a bit like an operating system. If all our live run win98, well with ST as life-operating system we'd be a million times more efficient and happy, and life would be perfect.

So that was my dilemma, its not my religion but I believe strongly enough in it to want my friends and family to know about it. So I told them. I had to. But thats when the name-calling began. If it was a religion I'd be a missionary, going to a foreign land to discover that the people there didn't understand what I said. So I had to explain it to them without the instant jeering and ridicule. Basically I made up a pamphlet on my computer that plainly stated how ST life can be lived, and loved, right here and now.

The jeering and laughing went on and on, so I stopped "witnessing" to the "unconverted". ST never left my life though, and I became (and still am) a closet fan.

Its great to be here though with people who know what I'm talking about.

Soooooo happy to meat you all.

StarTrekKiddy
Ex-Member

double posted.....oops....

[This message has been edited by StarTrekKiddy (edited July 12, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your friends laugh at you for something you enjoy doing, they're not your friends. Period.

I declare to the world that Star Trek is part of my life. And proud of it. If you didn't know yet, I go to an all-girls school, and believe me, there are not many Trekkers there (about two per grade level). I do not know anyone who's more of an avid fan than myself (except maybe my history teacher from last year). But I wear one of my many Trek shirts to school on free dress days. I wear my Bajoran or Comm pins even more often. I talk about Trek whenever possible. I wrote an essay on Star Trek. And I wore my Starfleet uniform for Halloween, complete with phaser and tricorder. Nearly all of my friends have watched TNG, if not the later spinoffs.

Nobody laughs at me (at least not visibly). But if they did, I would not do things any differently. To do that would be to admit defeat.

And yes, I know it's just a show.
But I wouldn't mind changing my name to Jadzia Dax.
(Why not Tora Ziyal? Because then people would be calling me Tora and not Ziyal, which will get very annoying as time goes on.)

Recently I finished reading "Star Trek Voyager: A Vision of the Future". It was truly inspiring. I'd recommend the book to all of you. It was about the making of Voyager, but not just that. For some time in the past year I had been wondering if Star Trek really deserved to be the top show in my life, and if there really is something about other shows like B5 and X-Files that made them better than Trek.

This book answered my question. Star Trek talks about a brighter future. At the time it began, the SF shows told people that aliens are evil, advanced technology will fail, and the future is bleak. They still do. X-Files is the perfect example (or anything Chris Carter comes up with). Star Wars is centered around a war, and so is B5. Jurassic Park is another failure of technology. The list goes on.

But not Star Trek. It's where technology and aliens are part of the setting. The characters are constantly put under moral dilemmas that challenge their beliefs and principles. And notice how alien lovers like Quark and Natima, Worf and Jadzia, or Neelix and Kes behave just like any old Terran couples. If they took their masks off, their lines would remain exactly the same.
I have always been aware of this in Star Trek, but no one put it into words like this for me before now. Now I know why Star Trek is a classic. Now I know why I'd support it against all odds. I love Star Trek, and that's the way it is.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I just like the F/X. (Kidding) The moral lessons have been the base for Star Trek and all of it's spinoffs, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. That's why it's always been so popular. That and the F/X.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

StarTrekKiddy
Ex-Member

The only problem with the religion analagy is: who is the messiah?.....who leads the way?

Alot of people put their faith in George Lucas for the universe he has created with star wars, but I don't see Roddenbery as being God at all. If anything its Picard who I look to for inspiration and wisdom. I understand he's a fictitious character, but he's definately a demi-god to me.

Maybe maybe maybe one day science will progress to a point where I can meat him in a holodeck. If not I'll just have to stick to my lucid dreams. Lucid dreams incorporating 7of9 can be slightly embarrasing on laundry day. Sorry guys!

StarTrekKiddy
Ex-Member

double posted again.....I'm getting good at this!!....*don't hit "back", don't hit "back"*

[This message has been edited by StarTrekKiddy (edited July 12, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Roddenberry's vision is greater than any special effects George Lucas ever came up with. And as to what that vision is, well, read my post above or go get a biography of Gene.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Neither of them are God though.
Nor Picard for that matter, he is just a character. What you like are the ideals he represents.
------------------
WHO ARE YOU

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited July 12, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ziyal: Everything would be fine, unless you met up with Ron or something.

(Extremely obscure injoke.)

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps