Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What did TNG have exactly? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What did TNG have exactly?
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did discuss the effects - but only that they were cool (watch an old Twilight Zone, Lost in Space, or The Invaders episode for comparison).

Our discussion groups (which evolved into the old Star Trek clubs - one of which, here in Vancouver, is still going strong after 30+ years), centered around the stories, what had happened, what it said about the characters, what we could infer about the Federation, Starfleet, and alien races, etc. This kept us actively meeting (no internet) every week - still does.

The allure it still holds can't be nostalgia - I also watched the other shows I've mentioned, and except for a few Twilight Zone eps ('To Serve Man') - I have no interest in seeing any of them. Nor did we gather to discuss them at length.

But we did gather in droves for TOS - so much so that TPTB saw fit to reanimate the show in the form of movies and sequel series. We were there, and Thoughtchopper's analysis is flawed: Nostalgia isn't it. Nor is it great writing. It was that so-far indefinable 'sense of wonder'.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidently, I watched reruns of Star Trek (on in the afternoons coupled with Buck Rogers!) when I was a very young boy, before TNG started. We even had The Wrath of Khan recorded. On Beta. Mmm...

Anyway, just sayin' is all.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry dude. My level one analysis indicated that the subject was Ginchy. Ginchy does not equal nostalgia.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what Ginchy does mean, but I know it doesn't mean feeling good about the past. Eh?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also never heard the word before now. Explain it to my satifaction, scum.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the �Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, Volume 1, A-G� by J.E. Lighter, Random House, New York, 1994:

GINCH, n. (origin unkn.) 1. A young woman or women, esp. considered as sources of sexual gratification; copulation with a woman. 1936 �American Speech� (Oct.) 280 Ginch Any girl� 2. the vulva or vagina��

GINCHY adj. Student., Esp. West Coast. 1. Wonderfully good or attractive. 1959 I. Taylor �Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb� (pop. song): You�re the ginchiest!�1990 �Mystery Science Theatre� (Comedy Central TV): Aw, she�s the ginchiest�2. (perhaps of independent origin) anxious; jumpy; Antsy. 1970 C. Harrison �No Score� 53 I got very ginchy about being left alone with Aileen, very hopeful and very anxious both at once.�

If that helps.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderfully so, in some way. Possibly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Original Series is so vulva-y.

Hm.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. That was the intention.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps