Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Conspiracy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Conspiracy
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can remember, we know of the following Borg activity in tha Alpha Quadrant:

-There was a cube in the AQ that the Hanson's were following but they got pulled into the DQ before being assimilated. Apparently there was at least a bit of noticeable activity since the Hanson's knew at least a little bit about them (p.s. I HATE what 'Dark Frontier' did to the Borg).

- There was Borg activity of some kind in the AQ just before "The Neutral Zone"

- The cube that the Ent D ran into in "Q Who" was apparently on a course for Federation space. At that point, it hadn't been established that they used any kind of subspace technology. The Hanson's story line hadn't been written yet, either, so the idea of them heading here after their encoutner with the Hanson's doesn't seem likely. Especially since they had obviously already been in our vincinity. This ship was probably already in the AQ since the Ent only got thrown 2000 light years away, IIRC.

-Wolf 359 needs no explanation.

-We saw scenes of a Klingon battle with the Borg in Chakotay's flashback. That might have been at Wolf 359 since Hanson said the Klingons were sending ships.

-Didn't 7 remember assimilating someone from the Excalibur? Also Janeway read several captain's comments about the Borg and mentioned "squirmishes" so apparently there have been encounters close to Federation teritory that we've not seen.

-Then there's the First Contact incursion.

$
$
$
$

-And of course the "End Game" near incursion.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
The cube that the Ent D ran into in "Q Who" was apparently on a course for Federation space.

No it wasn't. It was assimilating the natives of system J-25.
quote:
At that point, it hadn't been established that they used any kind of subspace technology.
Do you mean transwarp? Everyone uses subspace technology. And a basic element of "Q Who" was that the Borg ship could move much faster than the Enterprise. It showed no signs of having reached its top speed in the pursuit, so it seems it had already been decided that the Borg were arbitrarily fast, regardless of the terminology.
quote:
This ship was probably already in the AQ since the Ent only got thrown 2000 light years away, IIRC.
The Enterprise may have been in the Beta Quadrant when they encountered Q, though. They were keeping an eye on the Romulans, after all.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolf 359 is in the Beta quadrant in real-world terms. And the RNZ is likely to be largely in Beta, according to all that backstage "info" and assumptions and sketchy Okudagram maps. And the Hansens crossed a "neutral zone" (gotta be the Romulan one, since there were no other known NZs at that time) in their hunt for the Borg, and thus probably ventured to Beta, too.

One could then indeed suspect that the region of Borg interest at that time was in the Beta direction. And it certainly makes for interesting plots if the Borg were bothering the Romulans at the time. One could easily believe that the Romulans proved both too mundane to assimilate, and so violent that they actually destroyed a cube or two.

Imagine a Romulan warbird in "Q Who?": "Sir, a cube-shaped ship approaches. Shall I hail it?" "Why bother? Fire all weapons." "Firing, sir. Major damage to its..." "Not interested. Ease your finger from the trigger only when it's space dust. I'll be in my quarters." Given how much initial success Worf had with his three shots, the Romulans would easily have inflicted the required ca. 80% damage that would prove fatal to the cube.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but the Borg would have probably adapted to the Romulan's weapons.

Sol: I think it was the Jaradans (The Big Goodbye/Smaratin Snare) who were supposedly going to be the Borg-esque adversaries.

Something else to think about:

The Hansen's go off exploring Borg Space... 20 years later Admiral Hansen leads the task force at Wolf 359! [Smile]

Something ELSE to think about - it sorta just came into my head...

First Federation v Borg... Big-arsed Ball v Big-arsed Cube! [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg were specifically planned as being an insectlike race, though, separate from the Jarada, though I can't say I ever heard anything about the Jarada being a potential Big Enemy.

Come to think of it, there were Jarada references all over "Samaritan Snare," though, weren't there? What was with that?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, and it's Magnus(!) Hansen, but Admiral Hanson. Or no?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ug! One of the WORST things to be seen on Voyager was all the Alpha Quadrant races assimilated by the Borg! When (and how!) did the Borg assimilate crewmen from the Excalibur? The Excalibur is hale and whole in "Data's Day" and I that was well after BOBW! And any self respecting Klingon would rather kill himself with honor than become a drone!
I agree that an initial devastating attack from a Warbird could have destroyed a Cube....but only as a one-time event. Any other Borg ships would have adapted to the attack and countered future attacks.
Something else that Voyager dropped the ball on was the Borg not retaining their adaptation of a species' abilities overtime: The Queen (in Dork Frontier) has to "turn on" the ability to detect the Hanson's stealth technology.
In short: Voyager so sucked.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. "Hansen" sounds like Danish or Norwegian, while "Hanson" is more probably Swedish stock. Both of course mean "The Son of Hans"... In Swedish, "Hansson" would be more typical than the anglized "Hanson", but clearly the admiral wasn't a first-generation emigrant from Scandinavia.

(The booming, reverbing voice of the Borg Collective at Wolf 359. A tint of curiosity in it: "Hanson. Sounds Swedish.")

(The nasal voice of Adm. Hanson at Wolf 359, as the attack begins to go south: "Boorg, boorg, boorg!" Throws padds and debris and what looks like cooking spatulas over his shoulders. People behind him duck.)

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

Whoops. Somebody types too fast for my reaction speed.

Yeah, the Borg forget. But that's their defining characteristic. They also lose a few drones to phaser fire every time, despite having familiarized themselves with that weapon type many times over. Either their memory cache just can't hold too many countermeasures at a time, or then the actual countermeasure systems would interfere with each other if operated simultaneously.

And "I, Borg" happened after Wolf 359. The Excalibur could have responded to a similar crisis in a different manner. The Borg would have performed a low-key hostage rescue operation, not a major battle, and would have fled with a few assimilees.

And Picard in "FC" claims the Borg have been advancing, and the Federation has been falling back. We never saw that. Perhaps the crew of the Excalibur did.

As for Klingons falling prisoner to the Borg... We know they have fallen prisoner to Romulans and the like, which is no wonder in the era of long-range stun weapons. The Borg don't use long-range stunners, but then again, the Klingons don't fight at long ranges. They bring themselves to within easy reach of the assimilation tubules. It's only a matter of how many drones they manage to slay before the tubes are inserted.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: Yes, I meant transwarp technology, not subspace. My bad.

I rewatched the opening part of the episode this morning and the Ent actually got thrown 7000 lightyears away. Interesting note: Data said it would only take them 2 years to get to the nearest starbase, not back to where they were. They had just picked up omez and others at Starbase 173, but the nearest base was Base 185. Whereever they ended up after Q's snap could've been on the other side of the Federation from where they were.

I do like th idea that the Borg have been bothering the Romulans, though. They had been poking around the Neutral Zone. But the Romulans didn't seem to know who was destroying their outposts... so maybe that means their contact with the Borg had only been recent.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ IIRC, someone in "Q, Who" mentions that the damage to Guinan's planet is very similar to the damage inflicted to the Neutral Zone outposts.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Ug! One of the WORST things to be seen on Voyager was all the Alpha Quadrant races assimilated by the Borg!

Amen! That was the thing I found hardest to swallow about "Unity" and its ex-Borg. The Borg are a collective race, with billions (if not trillions) of beings, God knows how many cubes, and no sense of individuality outside of the Queen. Why would it bother to send all these newly created Starfleet drones down some transwarp teleportation unit into the Delta Quadrant when the cube blew up at earth? Do you worry about saving your red blood cells when you get a paper cut?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, if we saw the Kazon and Okompa races totally assimilated I surely would not protest.... [Smile]

It would be great to see the Borg retalliate for the loss of a Transwarp Hub by backtracking Voyagers flightplan and asssimilating all of the losers that made silly "alien of the week" apperances: starting with those dinosaur-sleestack rejects that supposedly evolved from earth! If anynone in sci-fi needs a pimp-slap, it's the jerk that wrote that script! [Mad]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

I thought the Kazon where too primitive to be assimilated?

The Conspiracy-creatures appeared on Voyager, 'Good Shepard'. There was no connection made, but it was obvious that the creature that took over the redshirt guy in the flyer was a member of the conspiracy-species. Data said they sent a transmission to the other end of the galaxy (didn't he even mention the DQ?), the Voyager-worm took over the guy by crawling into his neck (I think they even had the "nipple" we saw in Conspiracy), and the outer appearance was similar, allthough CGI.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Data said the damage to one of the planets in system J-25 was "identical" to the damage of the outposts along the neutral zone. It wasn't Guinan's planet, though she does say that her people have been in that part of the galaxy.

What wasn't really made clear was whether the Cube that chased the Enterprise had just finished with system J-25 or whether the Borg had been in the area for some time. I seem to remember reading (probably in the Encyclopedia) that the cube was on a course for Federation space and the Ent was thrown into it's path. But that wsn't really made clear either.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps