Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The other Enterprise-E? (funny) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The other Enterprise-E? (funny)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes you think, though - what if the Galaxy-class ship had been re-used for the Enterprise-E? We all know that the only real reason they destroyed the E-D was to have a new ship and sets for the movies. But what if they'd had all that, and just had a slightly upgraded exterior appearance, and all-new interior sets? Most of us ave expressed general dissatisfaction with the E-E sets, especially the bridge. Would the movies have been any different if the E-E were a GCS?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from the technological convenience of having regenerative shields in First Contact, agility in Insurrection, and firepower in Nemesis... then no. A Galaxy Class with the sheilds, weapons, and manuverability of a Sovereign Class would do just fine.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, those are all arbitary factors anyway. A starship is exactly as powerful as TPTB want it to be for that story, so from that point of view, no, it wouldn't have been any different at all.

Have most people expressed dissatisfaction with the Enterprise-E? I wasn't aware of that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the book Industrial Light & Magic: Into the Digital Age, page 60:

"With the [Generations] Enterprise presumably shipshape for future adventures, John Goodson made a sly addition to the model prior to crating it up to send back to Paramount...changing the ship's indentification marking to NCC-17071-E."

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would have loved to have seen a galaxy class E-E. the Sovereign has always, to me, seemed like the riced out honda of Star Trek.
IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd pick a Honda over a Rolls-Royce anyday.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colorful Cartman:
I'd pick a Honda over a Rolls-Royce anyday.

yes, but would the honda have a whaletail and "type r" stickers?
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From back in the days when I first got my hands on Photoshop...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic EdipisReks:

Nah, just neon lighting.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by USSMillennium74754:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I've never been completely sure of this, but is this the original 6 foot model? I heard that ILM took it apart and resufaced it for Generations, but some places say it was just used for the saucer seperation bit, and others say it was used for the entire film.

Yep. Still pisses me off that ILM did a beautiful job on renovations to the model just for it to get six seconds of screentime (the exterior shots of the Enterprise approaching Amargosa and Veridian III, plus the brief exterior shots during the Klingon battle). *Sigh...* That ship was incredible...

I agree whole heartedly with this statement.

That was an awesome scene where the camera pans behind the Enterprise-D while the Klingon torps are firing. Inspirational. Probably the best 'effects' out of all the TNG movies so far. I'm sorry - Fleet of ships or not - the effects (ok except for the first view of the E-E) Were flat, ill-lit and terribly uninteresting. Insurrection MORESO. That ship was made so flat and beige. Ugg. And the on-set photography made the bridge look REALLY bad, I mean like a washed out piece of a Safari Suit. Really bad. TNG had a bright lit flat set - with not many shadows, but Ins was way beyond that it was fucking disgusting and really, really dreary. The Bridge in FC was Fantabulous. Very Moody. Very realistic. That is what it is the Bridge in Insurrection didn't look realistic, it looked like the rest of the bridge was a painted backdrop.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colorful Cartman:
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic EdipisReks:

Nah, just neon lighting.
LOL! At that picture... and neon lighting!! Is THAT what those cars have with the big speaker systems and a blue/purple glow that seems to come from under the car. What is it's purpose? Even though it's hoon-ish it looks cool! [Smile]

All us Trek fans can beat them at their own game and assemble the neon lighting to shine down either side of the car to look like nacelles and one on the front to look like a deflector dish glow!! [Smile] Of course Phaser strips would be perfect during peak-hour! ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tv advert in the uk for the season 2 box set had a close up of that very picture in it. Its definately real.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to no avail to convince my stepbrother to paint his Trans Am black & then run a small red LED strip in the front.

And I, too, preferred the FC bridge design over Crapsurrection, if only for that giant-ass floor-to-ceiling viewscreen.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u know...i dont even remember what the bridge in Insurrection looked like...not even the color scheme [if it was a different color scheme] but thats only explained by the fact that:

i've seen it only once, it was a small screen on the airplane,....judging by the comments..wasnt a very memorble set...
wait i do remember that *cough*joystick

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
And I, too, preferred the FC bridge design over Crapsurrection, if only for that giant-ass floor-to-ceiling viewscreen.

There wasn't a viewscreen. It was a projected hologram.

Great wit on "Crapsurrection" too. I like the way you took the part "In", and replaced it with a word that describes how you feel about the movie. Genius!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps