Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Wesley's Out. [Nemesis Pseudo-Spoilers Lie Within] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wesley's Out. [Nemesis Pseudo-Spoilers Lie Within]
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/001089.php

Overly Melodramatic, but that's the Wheat for you.

[ August 14, 2002, 17:40: Message edited by: Magnus de Pym ]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am struggling to surpress my tears.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the title is misleading. i thought it meant that Wesley was coming out of the closet.
IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some might flame me for this, but I feel sorry for the guy, meaning I feel sorry for his disappointment. No matter what anyone says, no matter how iratating Wesley may have been, he was still a part, at least some part, of the Star Trek family, as are all the others that moved on to other things, Denise Crosby, Terry Farrell, Jennifer Lien.

I don't think there would be too many complaints if he had made a small, short cameo in the movie. I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a shame. What am I saying?! No, really. I feel bad for him. I mean, sure, we all hate Wesley Crusher. But that doesn't mean we have to hate Wil Wheaton. I suspect that playing The Boy went a long way toward screwing his career; after all, prior to getting on TNG he was in Stand By Me playing one of the two main characters, the other played by River Phoenix. Now, today, nearly 10 years after Phoenix dies, even after it came out that his whole eco-fiendly persona hid a copmplete druggie asshole, his star remains far higher than Wheaton's. I'm not saying that Wheaton could ever have been Phoenix, but all the same you have to wonder.

I wonder how Logan feels about it? After all, the opening scenes contain a lot of the fan-oriented stuff he enjoyed writing. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't there be a spoiler warning in the title?

Can anyone tell us what Wesley's scene in the movie about?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheaton's managed to carve out a strange niche of credibility for himself with his blog, at least among that small segment of the population that pays attention to blogs, which is probably smaller than the number of Star Trek fans that don't hate Wesley, but we have to take it where we find it.

Anyway, something for the DVD, I suppose.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came into this thread guessing exactly what it was about, based on the title. I've been following some basic news about the movie, but avoiding real spoilers about anything other than the general plot. I've never been a fan of Wesley Crusher aside from one, maybe two episodes. And on the Net, it's easy to hate "the boy."

I came into this thread expecting to chuckle, to express sarcastic relief that the little snot-nosed brat wouldn't be appearing in the movie. For some reason, I decided to click the link and actually read Wheaton's entire message. And now, I feel sorry for the guy. And I'm actually sorry that Wesley won't be in the movie. Because despite all of the bad memories from the silly episodes where a 15-year-old boy would upstage the best and brightest of Starfleet, it still would have been a treat to see Wesley in the movie. I've stayed far away from any details about the plot of the movie, but I've gathered that Logan put a lot of effort to include treats for us long-time fans.

And I think that Wheaton's message made me finally realize that he's a real person, too. Some people have a very hard time separating the actor from the character. But no matter how I might feel about "the boy," it's still a shame that he had to be cut.

Enough rambling.

THREE HOURS??? Jeez, this would be one heck of a long movie if they left it as is. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a lengthened Trek movie for a change. Obviously that's not likely to happen given how movies are generally marketed -- not many people aside from die-hard Trekkers like us would be willing to sit through that long of a film. Nuts.

I just hope that that massive cuts that they're going to make (nearly a THIRD of the entire film) won't hack the story to death, to the point where there are odd jumps in location and action. And that the entire story doesn't seem to be a patchwork to fill in the missing scenes.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A third? You'll be lucky. Prevalent Trek-marketing wisdom seems to regard any more than 90 minutes (i.e. half) as excessive; Inadequaterection was what, about an hour twenty, and left loads of potentially-good stuff on the cutting-room floor?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even still, at 2 hours 12 minutes, it's the longest Trek movie. LotR is 2 hours 58 minutes, so they probably could have left everything in... Are all Logan's movies this long? I know Gladiator was lengthy, but what about his others?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite impessed with Berman actually, especially when it's pretty obvious that him and Wheaton used to not get on.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He tells me that he has to call one of the other actors because they've suffered rather large cuts as well."

Grrr... how much you wanna bet that it was either Gates McFadden or LeVar Burton he called, and not Kate Mulgrew?

At least Sol System has a point... the cut scenes may give Paramount to finally treat us to a first-issue Trek movie DVD with lots of extras. Although I wouldn't have minded Nemesis being 2.5 hours...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does this mean that they cut the entire wedding reception scene? Does this mean Riker and Troi won't be married after all?

I have to agree w/ those who were looking forward to Wesley's appearance. I mean, he obviously wouldn't have the "The Boy" personality about him anymore. It'd be nice to have him canonically not fall off the face of the universe.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've thought about this on and off for months, and I knew that if the movie was long, this scene, and maybe even this entire sequence, would have to go."

By "the entire sequence", he's probably talking about the wedding. I doubt they'll leave the whole thing out, since they've already mentioned it in interviews and such.

It's a shame they cut it. After all, whether you like it or not, he was still part of the family, like Red Admiral said.

The other cut scenes mentioned could also involve Guinan (she is in it, right?).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, the whole wedding thing is icky in my opinion, even minus the Black Horta of the family. I mean, the whole on-off Riker/Troi relationship should have ended ages ago, not dragged onto a conclusion of sappy "and they lived happily ever after".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps