Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Series 5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Series 5
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, we need at least a five year break before the next series. If you go to www.startrek.com and read about how the cast of DS9 got together for the final episode, you will read about the Q&A period during the viewing. The cast was asked how they felt about a new series. No one answered at first but Nicole deBoeur made a joke about Michael Dorn and being on the new series. Nana Visitor said she was proud of what she did on ST: DS9 and likes it. One of the producers then said something like "That's one." I was thinking that maybe in 2007 or so, a new series starts. Bajor is now part of the Federation, and the Bajoran militia is part of Starfleet. Kira is now a Captain and given command of a Prometheus class starship (the class could be changed). She could take the ship on a exploratory mission to the Gamma Quadrant, keep the peace there, visit Breen space, maybe meet Sisko in the wormhole or something else. They Star Trek universe could be really changed by then. The ship could have new technology if Voyager is back. The Federation, Klingons and Romulans could have some new alliance. Quantum Slip Stream or Transwarp could be perfected.

------------------
Edited by Tahna Los to remove unwanted smiley face. Trust me

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited July 18, 1999).]

Tachy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then what...same people, same shit, same audience, same wallets....same complaints..same forums...same flamewars because this and that...

... do you have a plot ?

is there a reason for a new Trek series, maybe that would be better to explain....

...everyone in DS9 could be given a plotless ship .....

....nothing new....

------------------
The SCIFI-ART.COM website:
http://www.scifi-art.com

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that made sense, I might be inclined to reply.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at Tachy*

*thinks long and hard*

Huh?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Voyager
Ex-Member

If and when a do a new series 5-10 years from when Voyager ends, I think they should base it on the ST:New Frontier book series.

------------------
"Chocolate is a serious thing!"-Counselor Troi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager, I made a similar comment a few weeks back, and I was given the warning I'm about to give you: I like the premise of NF, too *ducks to avoid flying tomatoes*, but most people here don't, so I'd suggest you duck as well.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS took place in the 2260s. TNG/DS9/VOY are in the 2360s/70s. Perhaps the next series should be based in the 2460s. Skip a century, and be able to have new stuff.

I'm sure someone's said this before, so don't go complaining or anything... :-)

------------------
Taurik: "He's convinced Commander Riker doesn't like him."
Ben: "Why? You crash the ship into something?"
-TNG: "Lower Decks"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited July 21, 1999).]

JEM
Ex-Member

I assume that what Tachy is refering to is that any new Star Trek series should really be based on a completely new premise. Consider;

TOS portrayed the future in which (the cream of) mankind set off exploring strange new worlds etc. etc.

TNG was exactly the same but it worked because of the long gap after 1969 and the stories, effects etc were much better.

DS9 had a different setting. As I understand it was originally intended to portray life for the vast majority of Starfleet personnel, not at the leading edge of exploration but those involved in more run-of-the-mill postings. I don't think this really worked too well as it was far too limiting hence the introduction of the Dominion during the second series, increasing tension and eventually all out warfare.

Finally Voyager had yet another premise. That of a single vessel isolated from the rest of starfleet and having to confront a different set of problems.

So what then for Star Trek version 5? AlthoughI havn't read any of the NF stories I have a general idea of what they are about. IMHO a series based on them or Nana Visitor captaining a new vessel (Alpha quadrant or Gamma is doesn't matter) is just a rehash of TOS/TNG with different faces, ships, technology etc.

The only new premise I have heard of while keeping within the ST universe is Flight Academy (yes I know I am dreading the concept too), or maybe a series based around the viewpoint of an alien civilisation (Klingons or Romulans) although I doubt that will happen.

All in all, if I were a gambling man I might well be tempted to put a little bet on the next series being based at the Academy. If its done well this may not be as bad as some were expecting, I for one originally hated the concepts behind Voyager and DS9 but they didn't turn out too bad.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In five to ten years, trek could do another exploration story.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we're all so attached to the 24th century, TSN!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Voyager
Ex-Member

*Takes Omega's advice and ducks*

------------------
"Chocolate is a serious thing!"-Counselor Troi

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read the new frontier books, but plan to someday. As for the next series, who knows? There are so many different ways to go about it, we could be completely wrong. They'll still surprise us when it comes out, and we'll enjoy it like we enjoyed the first four.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized something. The fifth series can't start 'til Voyager gets home. Think about it. "Encounter at Farpoint" had Dr. McCoy in it. "Emissary" had Captain Picard. "Caretaker" had Quark. When the fifth series starts, it'll have to have a guest appearance by a Voyager cast member, which they can't do 'til it gets back... :-)

------------------
Taurik: "He's convinced Commander Riker doesn't like him."
Ben: "Why? You crash the ship into something?"
-TNG: "Lower Decks"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice tradition, bet they don't keep it.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, tradition can be bent on occasion.

And who says they have to get home for a member to be in the show? Could it not just as easily be an EMH? Or if it happens in the future, it could be any of the cast from Voyager...

And DS9 is the only series to use all the major Star Trek TV sets, all incarnations...

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps