Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Series 5 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Series 5
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the Intrepid class ship on DS9. Did they ID the ship? I don't remember. I know it was the Voyager model, but I was wondering if they used a name in the DS9 eppy.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't catch the episode yet, but I think you're referring to 'Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges', which I spoiled myself something rotten once the Vulcan Cafe posted a very detailed synopsis. Only myself to blame, I suppose.
The ship was Admiral Ross', and it was the U.S.S. Bellepheron.

------------------
Nice place to live now son
Where ya gonna run?
Understand where we're coming from;
Put down the gun.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registry of the Bellerephon is NCC-74705 btw.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big problem is that going beyond the 24th century would involve such an increase in technology seen on screen that it was just become too powerful. I mean, what's the point of the 'Trek' when you just slipstream to Andromeda? What's the point of a crew if AI and holographic technology could run the ship with an army of EMH-style programs? What fun is combat when everybody has phase-cloaks?

The mid-to-late 24th century is a good level of technology to work with when telling a story. Any further and it just makes everything too "magical".

A series set later on would only invite more plot solutions from the inverse technobabbleon emitter.

------------------
"They don�t call it show business for nothing. This is an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly town in many, many ways. But big f*cking deal. Big business is ugly. The world is ugly. Our job is to make our little piece of it better. Whenever you get into the general, it�s not going to be all beer and Skittles and Christmas trees."
-Ira Stephen Behr on the Moore fiasco

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps the Federation has its own Butlerian Jihad at some point.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps