Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ohmygodohmygodohmygod (D$9 novel spoiler$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ohmygodohmygodohmygod (D$9 novel spoiler$)
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I just finished Lesser Evil.

Holy Crap.

forget a DS9 movie, the novels theyve been putting together capture the spirit of the show incredibly, and the last four, the Mission Gamma series, have been incredible.

so far: Colonel Kira hasbeen excommunicated from the Bajoran faith because of her distribution of the heretical Ohalu prophecies. A new split of the Bajoran faith, the Ohalavaru has formed in protest as the selection of the new Kai is underway.

The prophecy has to do with the Avatar, who is the figure who will be born of Bajor to the Emissary. Kasidy Yates is alost ready to bear Sisko's child.

Meanwhile, Bajor was on the brink of joining the Federation, but First Minister Shakaar was brutally assassinated by a Trill security liaison moments before he signed the scroll. He had been showing signs of bizarre behavior, abandoning all peace efforts to the Cardassian Provisional Government and denying further aid to their starving worlds.

On the day of admission to the Federation, the Cardassians presented the Bajorans with a gift: The last four lost Orbs, found in a secret bunker in the ruins of Cardassia.

Now we find out why: Shakaar had been posessed by alien parasites, the ones from 'Conspiracy.' For whatever reason, they needed to have Bajor join the Federation for whetever they were planning.

And at the end of the book, the missing Jake Sisko and Kai Opaka were found by the Defiant aboard Weyoun's cruiser!!! Sisko is on the cover of the book that'll be out next year, Unity.. the tenth anniversary of DS9 is underway!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only read the first two Avatar books, the Section 31 DS9 book, and the DS9 Gateways crossover book so far, but I like what I've been reading. Good stuff (although not as good as my version of events after DS9 in the Star Trek Legacy fanfic I never got around to developing... [Wink] )

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah!

I never had any interest in reading the DS9 Relaunch series, for several reasons. First, I felt that DS9 was basically over and buying the books would be a lame attempt to wring more money out of the series concept. Second, because so many of the original characters were gone -- Sisko, Worf, O'Brien, Odo -- I really didn't care that much to see newcomers replace them.

But this sounds... interesting. And I notice that Weyoun has come back -- again. Big surprise there. (What's their excuse, though?)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the amount of stuff they pulled out of thir hats in the 4 Mission: Gamma books is amazing..

Elias Vaughn is a great character, probably my favorite in Trek rite now.

The whole Mission Gamma concept was to split up the crews, with all of the Starfleet crew (Vaughn, Dax, Bashir, Nog, Shar, Pryn Tenmei and Sam Bowers) in the Gamma Quadrant exploring and dealing with their own situations, while the Bajorans and others (Kira, Ro, Quark, Kasidy Yates, Taran'atar, Vedek Yevir, Treir) dealing with the Bajoran Admission thing. All the ups and downs with Shar's family, Ro & Quarks budding romance, the presence of Gul Macet and Natima Lang from Cardassia, and the Jake mystery have been fueling things. now that Garak popped back up, as well as the O'Briens and the Joe Sisko on Earth subplot, and now a new WEyoun in the Gamma Quadrant. He was just a bit part, a new Weyoun clone in the hemmed in Dominion.

I'm just floored.

Add the 'Conspiracy' parasites.. theyre going to be mopping up for a while. And now Jake is heading home, with Kai Opaka.

The Trill who killed Shakaar is Hiziki Gard.. the previous host of the Gard symbiont is the one who killed Joran Dax... boh!

Oh, and plus the Defiant just encountered a Borg crash site. Boh!

BTW, this isnt as much a 'lets milk the franchise' thing to me, because they are tying up loose ends left and right. and introducing new ones..
basically a lot of stuff that didnt make sense as on WYLB does now..

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Ro & Quarks budding romance..."

Ro? As in Laren? As in the bitchy Bajoran ensign?

Quark? As in the Ferengi bartender?

Ew.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good GOD! I already knew that Ro Laren was in the story... but a romance with her and Quark??? That's more than disgusting. That's simply horrifying.

The "Conspiracy" aliens return? Random one-off old characters? The Borg? God, this sounds like a fanboy's wet dream!

I have just lost any interest I might possibly have had in this story.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you don't like wet dreams, MinutiaeMan? come on, dude, it's just a little nocturnal emission.
IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished Cathedral the other day. I'm going to have to pick up Lesser Evil soon! I shouldn't have read Mike's spoilers [Frown]

But I'm sure I'll enjoy it all the same. The next book out, Rising Son, features Jake's journey and his finding Opaka. Unity looks to be pretty great. Is Sisko returning? There must be a reason for his being on the cover...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
you don't like wet dreams, MinutiaeMan? come on, dude, it's just a little nocturnal emission.

Well, they're pretty messy... [Wink]

You know what I mean!

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

you know, if someone had said they were bringing those two gimmicks to the table (the 'Conspiracy' bugs and the Borg) i would have been a little put off too.. but after reading the book, i gotta say it works.

The Borg are used as a plot device rather than a nemesis.. think 'I, Borg' .. in fact the scenario is much the same, except the consequences are much more horrific.

And the bugs? again, a plot device to explain why the convoluted political machinations of the DS9 TV series must continue.. its being used to disrupt the stability.. everyone assumed Bajor and Cardassia and the Federation would follow the same path, this has thrown a wrench into the works.. now its brought all sorts of new issues to the table.

and yeah, a good well written story about characters i miss and new characters i adore is kind of a wet dream, especially since i cant remember reading any trek books i actually get interested in in the past decade or so. when these are on the shelf next to the bland TOS rehashes and some voyager nonsense, ill take these.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of far more interesting ways to "gum up the works" than introducing evil mind control aliens.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, like evil mind control aardvarks.
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike XXIII:
Wow! I just finished Lesser Evil.

so far: Colonel Kira hasbeen excommunicated from the Bajoran faith because of her distribution of the heretical Ohalu prophecies. A new split of the Bajoran faith, the Ohalavaru has formed in protest as the selection of the new Kai is underway.

The prophecy has to do with the Avatar, who is the figure who will be born of Bajor to the Emissary. Kasidy Yates is alost ready to bear Sisko's child.

quote:

Meanwhile, Bajor was on the brink of joining the Federation, but First Minister Shakaar was brutally assassinated by a Trill security liaison moments before he signed the scroll.

Ugh fanboyish

quote:

He had been showing signs of bizarre behavior, abandoning all peace efforts to the Cardassian Provisional Government and denying further aid to their starving worlds.

On the day of admission to the Federation, the Cardassians presented the Bajorans with a gift: The last four lost Orbs, found in a secret bunker in the ruins of Cardassia.

Even more Fanboyish

quote:

Now we find out why: Shakaar had been posessed by alien parasites, the ones from 'Conspiracy.' For whatever reason, they needed to have Bajor join the Federation for whetever they were planning.

UUUUUGHHHHHH! WAY TOO FANBOYISH ("wouldn't it be cool if those aliens from Conspiracy came back!?!")

quote:

And at the end of the book, the missing Jake Sisko and Kai Opaka were found by the Defiant aboard Weyoun's cruiser!!!

Woah, and would Bariel, Ro Laren, Sito Jaxa, Morn's Mother and a crate load of Yamok sauce be there as well!?!

*REAL-ly* [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Sisko is on the cover of the book that'll be out next year, Unity.. the tenth anniversary of DS9 is underway!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, while I'm all up for the criticism and the mockery and, while we're at it, the implied self-hatred, I confess to not seeing how assassinations and orbs count as "fanboyish."
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been a continuity fetishist, but that's what these stories do, and they do it well. They provide links to past Trek, and a continuing story running into the future. And they're damned well well-written.

And anybody who disagrees is a Pakled.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps