Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Deep Space Nine: The missing voice-over (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Deep Space Nine: The missing voice-over
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I've got a ton of mags going way back before DS9, and I remember a lot of the rumour-mongering flying around. It would indeed be interesting to recall them. I must dig around and see if I can unearth them...

Hey that would be GREAT! Red... tell us what you find... maybe we could do a joint effort thingy! [Wink]

It's really quite funny reading all those rumours and early ideas and what was to have been - and comparing it to what we know now.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:

As for La Genevieve, think about it. She thought the character should really agonise about ordering the Array destroyed; as Mulgrew played the role, only once did she ever feel bad about it and that was in "Night" five years later. Bujold's idea might have given us a captain we could actually care about and like, instead of the annoying madwoman we had to put up with for all that time. Rather than being constantly, irritatingly right all the time, and always getting on her moral high horse, a captain who had to face more of the hard choices Ransom did on the Equinox would have made for a better show.

YES! Exactly - it would have brought depth to the character, and maybe have spurned a whole different series of events - leading to the rest of the cast becoming more three dimensional. I.e. Chakotay might have had somewhere to go - being more the 'mad-woman' [Smile] you know - more Maquis - fight for the cause - damn the consequences??

Andrew

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we get too carried away with this, one might also consider that we already have a "Captain" character that does over-react intoversively (sp?) and could be considered a "wimp."

That would be Archer, and if I recall, the feedback to his agonising over the destroyed colony in "Shockwave" was mostly negative. In a way, seeing how this new series unfolds with a weaker captain may not be too bad a comparison to Voyager. It has much of the same behind the scenes people, writers, etc.......and a similarly colourless cast. (Think about characters with "character" re: DS9 and then try the same with Voy)

In any case, I'm getting off topic. A simple Captain change probably wouldn't have been a magic bullet solution to a show hampered not by its lack of skilled actors, but by a lack of writing and a tired concept

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
and if I recall, the feedback to his agonising over the destroyed colony in "Shockwave" was mostly negative.

I wouldn't be so sure about that
quote:
In a way, seeing how this new series unfolds with a weaker captain may not be too bad a comparison to Voyager. It has much of the same behind the scenes people, writers, etc.......and
Um, Enterprise producers and/or writers who were working back then = Berman, Braga, Lauritson, Howard, Yacobian, Farrell, Curry. Only Berman, Lauritson and Curry still fill roughly the same slot. Everyone else was well back in the Voyager chain of command.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more interested in a captain that might feel the occasional doubt over what they were doing out there, who did at least have the courage to wonder if maybe the Vulcans were right after all.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what we saw of Janeway is probably how a Starfleet captain would behave. She made a decision and showing doubt in that decision would only harm her crew and her command. What I would liked to see, is some private conversations... maybe between her and Tuvok, that revealed that kind of doubt.

I agree that the order to fire and that whole decision could've been played with a little more mixed emotion. But, I was referring to the actress' mental state, not the performance. The interview just made Bujold sound like a whacko. Who knows how accurate it was though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Didn't they release a photo of her as Janeway - does anyone have that around? And no - not the fake one of her head tacked on to Kate Mulgrew's standing infront of the Warp Core.

It'd be funny to get a glossy version and get her to sign it! Might be worth something! [Smile]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once saw some footage shot with Mulgrew (on the Ocampa city set) with a very different hairstyle, not dissimilar to the bob-like one she had in later seasons. . . Apparently they thought her look wasn't right, and changed it (to that accursed long hair/wig thingy) requiring even further reshoots. . . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe that is correct. There are alot of early photos of her with the later season-ish hairstyle. I don't know why in the world they gave her that hideous thing... it looked horrible.

I believe her name also got changed when Mulgrew got signed. It wasn't always Kathryn... but I can't remember what it was before.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey that would be GREAT! Red... tell us what you find... maybe we could do a joint effort thingy
Yeh I'd be happy to collaborate, this a fun idea and will prove interesting, as I've already ploughed through a series of Mags from circa late '92, for DS9 (don't have much on it), but I have loads on Voyager including a fascinating cast of characters, pre Janeway, Chakotay et al. I'll post something later, and probably put up a page for it on my site.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe her name also got changed when Mulgrew got signed. It wasn't always Kathryn... but I can't remember what it was before.
It was Nicole, when the character was supposed to be played by Bujold.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

That's it!! Thank you.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's more, a lot more.

I've uploaded a page that archives a variety of rumours and early Paramount info releases regarding DS9 and Voyager.

http://www.trekmania.net/conference/old_rumours.htm

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unnamed Lieutenant J.G. Human: previously disgraced Starfleet officer - most probably Nick Locarno from 'The First Duty', but if female, may be Sito Jaxo (same episode) (er, but she died in that episode...)

No, she didn't. She died in "Lower Decks", which was season 7, and almost certainly some time after this list was made.

Apart from that, very interesting.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK Red, thanks for taking my long-mulled-ovver idea and RUNNING with it. Humph!

Collaboration was the idea/suggestion...

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps