Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bridge Commander! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bridge Commander!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a cheap copy offa eBay, and should be playing it this weekend. Any opinions on the game from Flare-ites?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Ship statistics are way, way off. We're talking BOP's (small variant, crew of twelve, let's-not-go-there-again) that are a direct match for a GCS. Strange portrayal of weapon arcs / firepower to energy ratio / torpedoes (of which you can only fire four at a time, and they cause zero damage) / shield faces / turnrates. Extremely linear missions, events that are strictly scripted, poor character development...

All in all, disappointing.

[ November 27, 2002, 13:12: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.. pretty ships and all, but the gameplay sucks. It didn't succeed in getting my attention. Better luck next time.. the idea was good.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman pretty much nailed it. "Star Trek: A Final Unity" had a better combat system, and that game was made 6 years ago!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious... The people at TrekToday seem to be more positive about it.

I played the demo, and combat was fun enough. Then again, I'm not into LAN, multiplayer or hard games overall. [Smile] The last Trek sim I really enjoyed was Starfleet Academy, and also Klingon Academy, until I got stuck on that mission where you have to sneak up to a ship under cloak. Dominion Wars still rocks my world, though... Mmmm, small fleet actions...

Mark

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless you are a comic-guy clone who doesnt like ballanced games and needs UBER ACCURATE stats for fictional starships, i think its an enjoyable title. ESPECIALLY with all of the mods out there

http://www.bcfiles.com/

You name a ship, its pretty much made for the game.

its way better then Starfleet Command, which is boring beyond all belief

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of enjoyed the demo for the first Starfleet Command, but it was super-complicated. The third one is TNG era, though. If nothing else, they should have a larger selection of canon ships to choose from.

I'm not sure if the Ideal Starship Game is possible. I always wanted something like those hyper-complex Jane's simulations. But would such a thing even be possible?

Star Trek games seem to suffer from the problem of media tie-in games in general. Namely, the media comes first, the game second. And so Armada was a mediocre RTS, Birth of the Federation was a mediocre Master of Orion clone, and so on. However, both the 25th Anniversary game and Judgement Rites were brilliant, though the combat was even more goofy. (And hard! Reverse-engineered Constitution + modified Romulan plasma torpedo launcher = bad news.) I never got to get very far in A Final Unity due to technical isssues, but it seemed ok. And finally, Elite Force, I thought, was quite good, though short. I am tenetively looking forward to Elite Force II.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Quick question: Does anyone run the game on XP? I think I read somewhere that it doesn't. I'm reformatting my unit and might install XP, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play some of my older games on it...

Mark

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old? Some of the compatibility things in XP mean that really, really old DOS games that don't work on 98 have a chance with XP, but it's still a long shot.

If it's more recent, I can't think of any major games that don't work.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed he was talking about Bridge Commander...
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Quick question: Does anyone run the game on XP? I think I read somewhere that it doesn't. I'm reformatting my unit and might install XP, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play some of my older games on it...

Runs perfectly fine for me, but I do generally have to play it without some of the pretty graphics enhancements. Then again I am playing it on a laptop with a less-than-ideal graphics card...

Bridge Commander is a pretty good game... the storyline was a bit too short and way too repetitive (get used to fighting Galors and Keldons all the time) but the quick battle/multiplayer is fun and challenging if you put the AI on hard. You won't play the same game for hours on end like Armada or SFC, but sometimes that's a good thing.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full graphics detal and 4x FSAA work fine for me in XP.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful what ship you download though... I got the USS Prometheus and now my game won't work. I had to uninstall it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The game works fine with XP.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Thanks guys.. I tested BC on my friend's XP box before we reformatted mine, and it does indeed work great.

Now, I'm after some cool BC bridge mods, like the Intrepid and Nebula bridges. Anyone know where to get 'em? And does anyone know what the Nebula bridge is like in the first place?

Mark

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps