Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Book question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Book question
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are there 2 novelizations of "Generations"? One by Vornholt and one by Dillard.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two novelizations were written, one aimed at the "adult" audience most mainstream Trek books are aimed at; the other was a children's book, and edited some of the language out (Data's line of "shit").

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember browsing through the kiddie version, hunting for the included stills of the movie while waiting for the movie itself to premiere here. One of the things I guffawed at was the scene between Picard and Sloane in the room with the view. When Picard disarms Sloane ("It's my first raygun"), he doesn't say "You had this at maximum - you'd have killed us both", but rather "You had this at minimum stun"!

I mean, how silly can one get?

I was instantly reminded of Ben Bova's "Starcrossed" and the swords vs. lasers thing there. Now what was the real movie/show "Starcrossed" is supposed to be based on? I keep asking and forgetting.

Timo Saloniemi

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, that's "First Contact." He's talking about "Generations."

--------------------
Meh

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now what was the real movie/show "Starcrossed" is supposed to be based on?
I know Ben Bovas name, and name only!, was used by the producers of a dire little scfi series called the Starlost after they lost Harlan Ellison, due to there own rampant stupidity, and used bovas name for some recogntion. Thats one suggestion.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info!

Uh, heh, yeah, "Generations". I see. [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] Were there double novelizations made on all the TNG movies?

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the phaser scene, it's a bit weird really. While the novel's version provides a bit of a humour, especially with the punchline "If you'd fired, you would have given me a nasty rash." Although strangely enough, Lily's rejoinder works better with the "set on stun" line than with the "set to kill" line - maybe they felt they had to change the scene, but couldn't bear to part with the great line "it's my first raygun." That's a grave error - to compromise the structure and flow of the script for the sake of one line is very poor screenwriting.

OK, it's a minor thing. But it's amazing how little things in a film can really stick out like a sore thumb. Here's an example, hopefully de-spoilerized: Who here's seen Die Another Day? Remember the coda to the fencing scene, where that guy with dreadlocks says his line to Bond? It was weird. Who is he? A member of staff? What's a guy with dreadlocks halfway down to his ass doing working in an exclusive London club? It's almost like there was meant to be more to this scene, or an ealier scene introducing him, which was cut - leaving his one gag.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the 'young adult' version of FC. I found that line with the phaser really weird. And, in looking through PsiPhi, Nemesis has a 'young adult' version as well. (Just occured to me - what will be Nemesis's abbreviation? NEM?)

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMP, TWoK, TSfS, TVH, TFF, TUC, Gen, FC, Ins, Nem. . . Works for me. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha.. not only is TWOK my favorite movie, its also one of my favorite sound effects.. TWOK! think of a throwing knife burying itself in someones neck.. TWOK!

im pretty sure ive seen either phaser line in different versions of FC.. it disturbed me too, made me think i was going crazy (i have a fairly eidetic memory, and to have a movie or book you've experienced before change is an odd experience)

the director who includes the most amount of things like that is Nick Meyer.. both TWok and TUC have a lot of scenes that seem to be edited oddly, like there was something else there that got cut out (and we know that the footage is all over the place.. his movies by far have the largest amount of missing footage that turns up later).. the biggest perpetrator of this has to be the dinner scene in TUC.. there are some sequences that don't even make sense in the final edit.. stuff taken from earlier in the scene pasted in later..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a similar note to Vogon's post, there was a wierd scene in Generations when Geordi woke up in sickbay to a smiling Dr. Crusher, who tells him that she "removed the nanoprobe." Of course, no one knew what the hell she was talking about, because the scene where Soran injects Geordi with the nanoprobe was cut from the film. The probe was supposed to stop his heart. It was also supposed to be an ironic moment, because Soran resorted to using a Borg nanoprobe for his dirty work when it was the Borg who destroyed his world in the first place.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was actually in the film though, wasn't it? And just cut out for the home video release? And I don't recall anything about it being a Borg device. For one thing, I'm not sure anyone had come out and said that the Borg have nanotech by this point, though its existence is fairly implied by their earlier appearences. Certainly the word "nanoprobe" wasn't used until Voyager. I thought.

Of course, a friend of mine had bought what purported to be a script of the film at a convention (to which I had won tickets!), and I may be mixing up my memories.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that scene was filmed, but it didnt make it into any release of the film.. the theatre run, or the initial video release..

the Geordi/Soran torture scenes and the orbital skydiving scenes were deleted before the final cut was sent to theatres, no one saw that footage as part of the movie. I remember seeing Jimmy Doohan at a convention and he went on a tirade on how his scenes had to be cut in order to make the movie less than 90 minutes, so that they could show it more times per day.

you'll notice that, when the abbreviated scene with Geordi captured ends, it shows Soran leaning ominously over him, and the editor had to slow that footage down to draw out the moment, since the dialogue continued. it seemed like a very awkward cut the first time i saw it.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the scene in the TUC novelization where Samno and Burke delete the computer files about Klingon language (that's why Uhura had to use books for the translation). Was that filmed?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice, (if ultimately kind of silly ["Hey, the Klingon database is missing. Oh well, it was time to update it anyway."] idea), but surely the film as filmed had a different explanation?

"The universal translator would be recognized."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps