Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Starships & Technology.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cause and Effect (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cause and Effect
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they already had to film the explosion from several angles to make the story visually intresting (each time the ship blows we see another angle), so why not just destroy a modified Miranda class AMT model?
.....mabye there was no time to do a more extensive shot of the two ships colliding...and we already know that the budget was tight enough to make using the Miranda a forgone conclusion. [Frown]
Too bad they did not have the ability to do DS9 style effects with the exploding Bozeman and Enterprise! I'd love to see the Bozeman collide with the Enterprise's saucer or deflector. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
speaking/thinking of effects - I'd love to see an effect of a Galaxy class starship ramming DS9 (accidently of course) [Smile] With the saucer slicing through the docking ring and then the habitat ring... and a docking pylon being wrenched away and left floating into space!! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought about the direct hit on the Galaxy nacelle in C&E - when I watched it again last night - for the first time in quite a while the first thing I was reminded of - jolted back to was the destruction of the Odyssey!!

Was anyone totally flipped out by the destruction of the Odyssey!?! I was. I saw "The Jem'Hadar" at a convention in 1994 - and a whole hall filled with people watching an episode is one awesome experience - especially when everyone is gasping/crying/holding their breath at the end of "The Jem'Hadar" and the destruction of the Odyssey!!

--------------------

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Was anyone totally flipped out by the destruction of the Odyssey!?! I was. I saw "The Jem'Hadar" at a convention in 1994 - and a whole hall filled with people watching an episode is one awesome experience - especially when everyone is gasping/crying/holding their breath at the end of "The Jem'Hadar" and the destruction of the Odyssey!!

Yep... part of the reason I refused to watch DS9 until Worf returned. Fortunately, I didn't miss much... [Big Grin]
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*double and typo filled post, see the correct one below*

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention the Odyssey, because I remember reading somewhere that they used one of the blown up AMT E-D models for the explosion and wreckage of the Odyssey. They were lucky that someone had decided to save one of those models.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understood that they caused explosions on a mock-up Galaxy Class for the Odyssey. I remember reading that Adam Howard, the Quantel Harry animator saw two explosions in the film: the deflector and the nacelle cap, and it was this 'happy accident' that made him decide that it would be cool to have a pice of the deflector blow out the cap. He animated the junk flying back so the effect of one explosion caused the other.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

I meant after that. The big explosion the ripped the Odyssey apart. They had composited the E-D AMT model over the Odyssey in the same angle so they could do the final explosion and have the saucer and the port nacelle in damaged condition and flying away.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Starship Millennium:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Yep... part of the reason I refused to watch DS9 until Worf returned. Fortunately, I didn't miss much... [Big Grin]
No NO NO NO NO, I meant flipped out as in - overcome/overwhelmed/awe-struck/amazed/though how cool is that!/OMG! sort of stuff! Not - this is shite let me watch Earth 2.

It made me want to see Season 3... BADLY.

Plus you missed some of Trek's best in Season 3. Great stuff there (along with some crud like Fascination and Meridian).

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of things I wanted to get in on this thread:

1) The Ent spins after the nacelle blows out in every run through the loop. Even when we don't see it happen, Riker is always thrown to the floor as a result of it.

2) I believe that I read somewhere a quickbuild (or several of them) was used for the exploding ship in C&E. My guess would be that they used AMT models.

3) Perhaps the Bozeman *did* sustain damage to their nacelle. After it impacts the Ent, we never see it again. Maybe the effects just weren't quite so instantaneous.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Well, they already had to film the explosion from several angles to make the story visually intresting (each time the ship blows we see another angle), so why not just destroy a modified Miranda class AMT model?

Two reasons. One, you're wrong. There were only two "explosion shots". The one seen at the beginning, where the ship spins around and then explodes, with the nacelles flying off; and another, where the ship is stationary and appears to blow out from inside. For that one, an explosion effect was laid over the model, so no bits flew off.

There's also the fact that the explosion and collision are completely different shots. The collision is the same every time, and obviously uses the studio models. In most of the sequences, we then see the Enterprise spinning, which is probably also the studio model. The only time the fake model would have been used is the flying apart explosion at the end.

The Enterprise is REALLY BIG in the frame when the Bozeman hits, and the Bozeman itself is also fairly large. I doubt they could have gotten away with using the AMT models at that close range.

Also, was the Reliant model out in 1991? I didn't think it came out until about 94.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i doubt the miranda-reliant model was ever in any danger of being damaged.. the scene where it hits the 1701-D was almost certainly composited (accounting for the differing scales of the two models).. and then we dont actually see it touched by anything..

the biggest damage it took was having awful paste-ons placed on it (necessitating additional paste-ons in its next appearance, Emissary, to cover the spots where junk was crapped onto it.. and preventing it from being shown as an original modification Miranda..).. plus having godawful registry mistakes pasted onto it also.. which is worse, IMO..

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
.. plus having godawful registry mistakes pasted onto it also.. which is worse, IMO..

What registry mistakes are you referring to??

----
The filming models weren't shot together. The Enterprise-D used was 4ft long, the Bozeman 5ft. You can tell it's the large Miranda redressed because of the bridge section used from Phase II series, the 4-footer Nebula Class recast parts and the Stargazer miniature recast parts.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the NCC-1940/NCC-1840 conundrum, as well as the Brittain/Brattain fiasco.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected.
....but if the two models were not filmed togeather, then it's silly for the Bozeman to be soooo out of scale.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps