Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Who's the informant?? - Redemption query (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Who's the informant?? - Redemption query
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Sela jusd did a quick scan for her mom's DNA and found some on Data (He does'nt need to shower after all) and then....

No.
That's just sick.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:

By the way, did anyone else notice the Sutherland bridge was a redress of the Star Trek VI Enterprise kitchen?? [Smile]

There were pots and pans in the alcove later converted to TV monitors for Data to use.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed that... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I gather the Romulan spy network would be very interested indeed in the affairs of the starbase so close to their border. Yet the very appearance of the fleet seemed to come as a surprise to the Romulans, and its composition ("too small to be an invasion fleet") beduffled them for a long time. Perhaps Sela only got the crucial information after a delay - which is why she also engaged in the stalling maneuver of contacting Picard.

Actually, Sela first found out about Picard's fleet while she was still on Qo'noS. Because it was Lursa or B'Etor who brought the news... and then she had that Romulan General who was with her send a message and prepare their own fleet.

Yes, they were surprised about the fleet's relatively small size and the fact that they originally assumed that Starfleet wouldn't be able to blockade them because of the cloaking device, but....

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think the Sutherland bridge had the redressed back walls of the ST6 Excelsior bridge (which was redressed from the Enterprise-A bridge). The rest of the set may have been the kitchen set. There certainly was a viewscreen, but it was very small and more like a regular station display panel.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye the Romulans had a bug in the Enterprise A's kitchen from waaaay back in the day and so, of course, it was still there 80 years later in the Southerland's bridge.......

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sutherland's bridge incorporated nothing of the ST6 bridge (one wonders why not; it's possible they were keeping it for reshoots) and incorporated stock props (chairs, monitors, etc.) from previous sets (Data's chair was previously on the Enterprise-C). Anyone have screencaps of the Sutherland's bridge?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps Sela only got the crucial information after a delay
I would not be at all surprised to learn that Sela was not popular with some members of the Tal Shiar. I mean, always coming up with covert invasion plans and black ops work...that's not the job of a mere military officer!

On the other hand, I can see her primary loyalty being to the Tal Shiar, with the military not so hot on her presence among their ranks.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Why do we have to come up with a complicated explanation for a very simple plot point? Hasn't anyone ever heard of Occam's Razor?

Well, the reason for the thread is that the simple line by Sela should've been "Direct the beam at that ship", while pointing to the Sutherland on the monitor.

It just struck me odd that the writers would use the line "at the ship with the Android captain", when it wasn't established that the Romulans didn't know Data was not still on the Enterprise.

It was the specific dialogue that made me question how the Romulans knew about Data on the Sutherland.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulan scan could still pic up types of life-forms. There is an android in the captain's chair of the Sutherland. Easy done.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nah i still dont think that they could be that precise.. i mean, Data doesnt have lifesigns, and so they scan the chair and find noone there, so they assume an automaton. the logical explanation would be that the captain was standing somewhere else [Razz]

still, we know that there was radio chatter (and it didnt behoove them to encode it, since they wanted the Romulans to know that they were there and that they were watching), and we know that Sela could very likely have knowledge of Data from both Romulan intelligence and from her memories of Mom's stories.

just saying, she could have known very easily without any wierd superspy-supersensor analysis-informant situation. making this whole discussion moot.

BTW, is anyone else of the assumption that was the Sutherland's auxiliary control center? it seemed kinda.. lame. A much better effect would have been to relight the Enterprise-D bridge and change the side wall panels to add some claustrophobia.. or perhaps use the battle bridge. evn though its small, at least it was a bridge (although parts of it were probably reconditioned for STVI.. i remember reading that the turbolift alcoves for the TMP-TSFS bridge were resued in ST:V, ST:VI and then again for the E-E bridge in FC -- as a link to the past, just as the corridors used until the E-D's death in Generations were the same from TMP, 15 years earlier

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...as if the Captain sits in that chair all the time...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely a sensor that could detect a human being sitting in a chair millions of kilometers away would be able to detect a sophisticated mechanism sitting there, too?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to Captain Dunsel.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
BTW, is anyone else of the assumption that was the Sutherland's auxiliary control center? it seemed kinda.. lame

Since the Tech Manual reveals that starship bridges are Plug-and-Play modules easily swapped out for upgrading, and we know from Picard's line:

"I'm going to add the Tian An Men, the Sutherland, and the Hermes, whether the Yard Superintendant says they're ready or not."

The Sutherland did have visible damage on her starboard nacelle, so she may have been in the drydock for battle-related repairs and what we saw was only a temporary bridge, not the regular Nebula Class bridge.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather believe it's an aux control center... That bridge was so awkward, there's no way that it could be a regular bridge. Battle bridge at best, assuming the non-separating Nebula needs one.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps