Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager Companion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Voyager Companion
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The percentage of Voyager episodes that I liked/disliked was the complete reciprocal of the episodes of DS9 that I liked/disliked.

Those episodes/stories Phoenix mentioned, such as the Hirogen stuff, I liked; the fact that, too, the Hirogen got so far ahead of the Voyager (and had time to have a well established training station) by the time of "Flesh and Blood" was a reason why I didn't like the series. As much as I wanted to try to like it, it just had no definitive direction to it. [Frown]

"Endgame" could have been a lot better, if it didn't piss so many of the Starfleet morals out the perverbial window. Janeway travels back in time, rewrites the timeline, equipped Voyager with a type of armor and other technologies that would have made Gene roll in his grave (if one existed) and for it, GOT promoted! Starfleet didn't send her back in time, she was on a USS Phoenix/Captain Maxwell-type vendetta because life wasn't going her way, true no one within that timeline will know, but the temporal prime directive seems to have something otherwise to say about that. Everything that that episode accomplished seemed to go against everything the Trek philosophy had established up to that point. It was for this, and the many many other points throughout, that the illogic of the series itself was what really fucked it up...
[Frown]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the fact that Voyager got home because of Janeway, demonstrating that her determination to get her crew home really was that, and not just something to get Chakotay off her back.

I certainly preferred it to what they could have done - "oh look there's a random wormhole that drops us in Sector 001, how convenient" or "Starfleet sent us a ship to get home, and this time it's for real".

And it would appear from Nemesis that the uber-tech has been hushed up by Temporal Investigations (although they do seem to have perfected the tech from Enterprise which allows many decks inside a single shuttle and stuck it in the Enterprise E).

EDIT: Having read this, I would like to revoke all support I showed for Enterprise in my previous post.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion about Voyager is that the bad episode/good episode ratio is far worse than that of TNG/DS9 and even TOS.

When I think about it, I can count the episodes I really like in VOY with two hands. On the other series it's just the other way round.
Most episodes of VOY were just annoying or boring. So much of what we had seen already, and considering that this series was supposed to be really different, what with the "being lost" premise and all.

Come on, read Star Trek Series ? over in the Creativity Section and you will find far more enjoyment than with all of the 7 seasons of VOY.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Those episodes/stories Phoenix mentioned, such as the Hirogen stuff, I liked; the fact that, too, the Hirogen got so far ahead of the Voyager (and had time to have a well established training station) by the time of "Flesh and Blood" was a reason why I didn't like the series. As much as I wanted to try to like it, it just had no definitive direction to it. [Frown]

"Endgame" could have been a lot better, if it didn't piss so many of the Starfleet morals out the perverbial window. Janeway travels back in time, rewrites the timeline, equipped Voyager with a type of armor and other technologies that would have made Gene roll in his grave (if one existed) and for it, GOT promoted! Starfleet didn't send her back in time, she was on a USS Phoenix/Captain Maxwell-type vendetta because life wasn't going her way, true no one within that timeline will know, but the temporal prime directive seems to have something otherwise to say about that. Everything that that episode accomplished seemed to go against everything the Trek philosophy had established up to that point. It was for this, and the many many other points throughout, that the illogic of the series itself was what really fucked it up...
[Frown]

y'know, the Janeway that got promoted didn't actually go renegade and break the temporal time directive.. her future self did. Janeway got home because a future version of her lost her marbles and came back and made it happen.. the same thing happened in that DS9 ep where the future Odo sacrificed the whole colony of the descendants of the Defiant crew in order to make the Defiant not crash.. one can hardly be held responsible for future crimes that now wont happen (unless youre Braxton of course).

of course the DS9 ep handled the morals in a more tangible manner.. Kira and Odo both have to live with the fact that their relationship is possible because of the misdeed of the future self of Odo.. thought provoking, and exactly the kind of story Gene would endorse.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 left passing moral judgement to you.

VOY, OTOH, rammed its ethics down your throat.

[ May 18, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy am I sick of people who don't know anything about temporal mechanics writing sci-fi shows that involve time travel... *sigh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! It's like those medical dramas that aren't written by doctor's. They're shit!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time travel shows should only be written by time travelers.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps