Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What prominent members of the scientific community had cameos on the Next Gen series (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What prominent members of the scientific community had cameos on the Next Gen series
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
The Jordanian prince didnt do anything except for briefly talk to one of the cast in the hallway, he was wearing blue, whatever that means

Beats being a fish-bomber (like Fleetwood was)!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
She was the first African-American female in space...sounds pretty prominent to me...

That would be like saying Jackie Robinson held no face in the history of Major League baseball....

Well, ignoring some random baseball player whom I have never heard of (what with not living in the US and all), that doesn't make her a "prominent member of the scientific community", does it? She has a place in the history books, but suggesting that if there was a conference of the most prominent scientists in the world at the moment she would be invited is ludicrous, based solely on her position as an astronaut.

Perhaps she has done some things since then, and actually has some scientific credentials at the moment, but in that case it should be those credentials that are her reason for being a "prominent member of the scientific community" rather than her astronaut experience.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, the prince was speaking to Harry Kim in the hallway. Kim said "See ya later" or something and he turned and walked off. He wasn't allowed to have any lines per union rules.

He was indeed wearing blue, though he could have been a science officer as opposed to a medical officer. And yah... supposedly all of Voyager's medical staff (or at least the CMO and nurse) were killed during the trip to the Delta Quadrant. But that never stopped them from showing a group of blueshirts when they needed a medical team for something.

We could assume they were a bunch of medical technicians, but then we're faced with the problem that they would still probably be more qualified as a nurse than Tom Paris.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
Well, ignoring some random baseball player whom I have never heard of (what with not living in the US and all), that doesn't make her a "prominent member of the scientific community", does it?

WTF?? I'm sorry, but did you just call Jackie Robinson was "some random baseball player"??? [Confused]

...and by the way...Prominent: 1: Standing out or projecting beyond a surface or line; 2 a: Readily noticable, b: widely or popularly known.

You cannot tell me that Dr. Mae Jemison does not fit into one of those definitions. I'm not even sure why I need to point this out...but being that she was the first female black astronaut...makes her at least widely or popularly known.

Besides...regardless if PMills meant prominent or notable or otherwise, whichever the case he stil meant someone pretty damn lucky. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PMills
Member # 1009

- posted      Profile for PMills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for the replies to my question.
As far as I know (unless anyone can cite anyone else and no one so far has) Mae Jemison - as a scientist and astronaut (when she was one), is the only other person who fits the bill, that cameoed on the Next Gen show.

I asked other people and they can't think of another scientist than her and Hawking. Einstein and Newton don't count, as they were played by actors.

[ May 23, 2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: PMills ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about that comedian guy from one of those bad season 2 episodes - a laugh-ologist. Although he's probably got no funding - that wasn't the best B-story! OMG it was bad.

Too bad they didn't get Jerry Lewis as was planned.

Too bad they didn't get Robin Williams to play Burlinghoff Rassmussen.

What were some of the other people they thought they might have got for roles but they fell through.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it is a terrible slight, and anyone who knows of Dr. Piscipo's tireless work in the Congo is surely writing an angry letter to the editors of Nature as we speak, but I fear he is not usually brought up in discussions about prominent members of the scientific community.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Piscipo was himself an experiment gone horibly awry.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WTF?? I'm sorry, but did you just call Jackie Robinson was "some random baseball player"??? [Confused]

Yes, I did. Americans seem to have a hard time believing that no-one else in the world either knows about or cares about baseball.

quote:
...and by the way...Prominent: 1: Standing out or projecting beyond a surface or line; 2 a: Readily noticable, b: widely or popularly known.

You cannot tell me that Dr. Mae Jemison does not fit into one of those definitions. I'm not even sure why I need to point this out...but being that she was the first female black astronaut...makes her at least widely or popularly known.

Besides...regardless if PMills meant prominent or notable or otherwise, whichever the case he stil meant someone pretty damn lucky. [Wink]

Read my post again, and consider what I said rather than jumping to absurd conclusions. I am not disputing the fact that she's famous, notable or prominent. I am however disputing that she's a prominent member of the scientific community, which is obviously a community of scientists, not a group of people who have done famous things in the past.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, I did. Americans seem to have a hard time believing that no-one else in the world either knows about or cares about baseball.

While even being American I'm on your side on this one (I couldn't care less about baseball), Jackie Robinson is an important figure not because of his baseball skills, excellent as they were, but because he was the first black player on a white team... he is a symbol of integration and civil rights. There's probably a starship named after him, if they name them after composers and artists.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
quote:

While even being American I'm on your side on this one (I couldn't care less about baseball), Jackie Robinson is an important figure not because of his baseball skills, excellent as they were, but because he was the first black player on a white team... he is a symbol of integration and civil rights. There's probably a starship named after him, if they name them after composers and artists.
Even so the whole "first black person to do something" is a bit meaningless over this side of the pond. I think a while ago we had the first black cabinet minister or something and it was given very little publicity, just an endnote in reports of his appointment.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Americans seem to have a hard time believing that no-one else in the world either knows about or cares about baseball."

Now, that's just not true. You forgot about the Japanese.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps