Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Fleet captain rank or job title? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fleet captain rank or job title?
Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
in "Starship Troopers" Heinlein said that if there was an infantry captain on a navy vessel, the o-3 captain would be referred to as 'major' in title only, so as to not be referred to as captain.. but im pretty sure this probably only held in official functions like dinners and ceremonies, when the navy and infantry were segregated they probably referred to each other business as usual.. and if there was another o-6 _naval_ captain aboard, then _they'd_ be referred to as commodore.. anyone know any actual navy practice?

Yeah, the part about Marines is correct, although they are referred to as Major all the time they are on board ship. Not sure what happens with two Navy Captains on board but I'll try to find out.
Actually, I've never seen that practiced in real life. My first two ships were smallboys, so the issue never came up, but my last was a flagship, so we had many naval captains and a number of marines of vasrying ranks aboard. I never heard any bumped up a grade for courtesy.
Heinlein knew his RL military stuff, but in Starship Troopers, he made his own version to suit his story, so I don't think there's any connection to the real world. That said, I like the idea and used it when I ran ST rpgs.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Revanche:
I've vacilated between a Fleet Captain being the equivalent of a Commodore (US Navy billet, regardless of rank, who is in charge of a division or dquadron of two or more ships) and being a Type Commander (i.e. charged with the welfare, maintenance and supply of a given type - destroyers, frigates, etc - of ship, in a purely administrative role).

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to. I decided it can be both. A captain (O-6) in charge of a task force can be given the courtesy title, to distinguish him from the rest, and it can also refer to a captain or commodore/RADM in a Tycom slot, just as a CDR (O-5) in command of a ship is called captain, despite his rank).

--------------------
Darkwing
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
[email protected]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that ight now I am a Plane Captain in the Navy. Does that make me an actual O-6/Captain in the Navy. No it's a job title for the enlisted to launch a plane. All we do is prep the plane for the officers, examine the plane for any post-flight damage (for DTAs, TAs, and possibly Turns), and launch the plane in the end.

Just a thought.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i definitely think Fleet Captain is only a title, given to someone of the rank of O6 Captain or O7 Commodore (or RADM2).. sems like it might even be a do nothing position.. Pike and Garth didnt seem to be active starship commanders, Pike was training cadets, and Garth didnt seem to have commanded a starship recently.. perhaps you give a captain the title 'fleet captain' and he becomes a kind of figurehead, doing PR, press interviews, launching ships, training cadets, chairing committees and the such

but i sincerely doubt there is an actual rank between O6 and O7.. its too cumbersom to add to the system, (although some rank insignia schemes seem open to it being added)

http://captainmike.org/Galactopedia/insignia.html

when i compiled the insig chart i added a fleet captain wherever one would fit, but i added its a title not a rank, so its not an extra grade or anything

for more on the movie era inconsistencies, check spikes incorrect rank symbols: http://www.st-spike.de/pages/uniforms/2278-2350/ranks_comparison.htm

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it falls in the same category as Martoks "supreme commander" role given to him following the retake of DS9.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps you give a captain the title 'fleet captain' and he becomes a kind of figurehead, doing PR, press interviews, launching ships, training cadets, chairing committees and the such

A captain who's not actually commanding anything, perhaps?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured that fleet captain was an semiofficial rank AND title used to convey seniority of service over other captains.

Hear me out.

Kirk & Picard are both VERY good at thwat they do. They HATE the idea of being promoted (leaving aside Kirk's 17-year forced admiralization) & would much rather be commanding a ship than a distict, starbase, fleet, squadron, or what have you. However, we can't simply let these highly seasoned & even more highly respected officers just be told what to do by any tool with flag rank. Hmm. What to do?

Thus the fleet captain limbo area was born. You take a senior command officer who's well-known, well-respected, & has earned his chops more than most; Garth, Pike, Kirk, Picard, & to some degree even Sisko have all proven themselves in this area. It's a rank insofar as seniority goes--Captain Picard who is technically Fleet Captain Picard can order Captain Everyman of the Starship Piddlydeeds around--but it's a title & job as well, so they can simply be addressed as captain.

As for Pike becoming "fleet captain of Constitution-class vessels" or whatever it was, there may be a codicile that allows for FCPTs to command a small squadron, wing, or fleet in an area that they are familiar with. Thus, Pike--who was familiar with Connies--held that post. Perhaps he superceded the newly-promoted-to-Commodore Robert April.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a "brevet" rank. Meaning it's assigned when needed - temporary under most conditions.

Basically, you have a squadron of ships thrown together in an emergency and one captain - the most experienced/senior captain present - is picked to command the "fleet". Hence, "Fleet Captain".

If there was a true Commodore present, unless he/she was not a field commander, they would be picked automatically as the squadron commander.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I've never seen that practiced in real life. My first two ships were smallboys, so the issue never came up, but my last was a flagship, so we had many naval captains and a number of marines of vasrying ranks aboard. I never heard any bumped up a grade for courtesy.
Heinlein knew his RL military stuff, but in Starship Troopers, he made his own version to suit his story, so I don't think there's any connection to the real world. That said, I like the idea and used it when I ran ST rpgs.

Yeah but that's the US navy; I'm pretty sure the practice is still in use in the RN. Who have many strange and wierd traditions... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in "Equinox", Janeway would have been a FCPT and Ransom just a regular CPT?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it would seem, not that 2 ships constitutes a fleet [Wink] . However, with that logic, everything we've seen in DS9 would be null, as it seems that Sisko was the Fleet Captain during the retaking of DS9...but certainly he couldn't have been the most seasoned or highest ranking captain there...in which case, it would be an assigned role, unless there was a situation as in Equinox where regulations serve the assignment.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Darkwing
Member # 834

quote:
quote:

Yeah but that's the US navy; I'm pretty sure the practice is still in use in the RN. Who have many strange and wierd traditions... [Big Grin]
Except that I'm a Quartermaster. We maintain and train folks on tradition, as well as navigation. It's not in any book on naval customs that I've seen, I thought it might have been an old RN naval custom, but since 'show a leg' and dead horse are mentioned, among others, it'd be mentioned also.
So no, I doubt that it's RN.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is but only when the Marine SO is a captain. Which is vanishingly rare these days. I imagine it fell out of use in the late 19th century anyway so...

And there are many differences between USN and RN (such as how you guys managed to pick up an Army subalterns' rank). [Smile]

Darkwing
Member # 834

quote:
It is but only when the Marine SO is a captain. Which is vanishingly rare these days. I imagine it fell out of use in the late 19th century anyway so...

And there are many differences between USN and RN (such as how you guys managed to pick up an Army subalterns' rank). [Smile]

Yes, that one surprises and confuses most ensigns when I tell them - they surprisingly rarely make the connection to the national flag being referred to as the ensign.

So, since none of the customs and traditions books I've seen in the USN mention that courtesy, can you recommend any good RN titles/authors to look up?

--------------------
Darkwing
[email protected]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Well, to be honest I can't really remember exactly where I read/heard about it. In fact I'm fairly sure it was during a lecture of some description, probably when I went down to HMS Victory and Warrior. It's possible that Osprey might have it in one of their books but they tend to be more on the technical side. Sorry I can't be more help.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps