Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Shatner has ideas for new Trek series? Trek War: The Series? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shatner has ideas for new Trek series? Trek War: The Series?
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone else has seen the following article from the August 01, 2003 Las Vega Sun but in it William Shatner reveals:

quote:

And while he wouldn't discuss specifics, Shatner said he has an idea for a new "Star Trek" series.

"In fact, I'm trying to interest the powers -- and that has many levels to it -- for me to conceive another 'Star Trek' manifestation," he said. "It would be a concept for a series."

Supposedly this was from an interview at the recent Creation Convention at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Link to the article can be found here:

Shatner: Future of Star Trek' franchise in doubt
by Kirk Baird

Any one heard any specifics about this? Would it be ghost written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens for Shatner? Would it be a Captain Kirk reborn series like Shatner's Avenger novels?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone has a new idea for a Star Trek series. Even me. The only difference between me and Shatner is that he's famous enough to be interviewed by that magazine about his idea. But I'm sure his chances of having his series come to fruition are about the same as my chances.

BTW, if his series would be anything like his movie, I'll politely say no thanks.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idead for Shatner: it's small caliber and will rattle around in his brainpan.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My idea for the next Trek series involves the life of Klingon undergraduates at a typical Klingon Homeworld state university. It'll rock.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's also planning to record another album this fall

*dies*

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would support a Shatner created series so much, I would send money to him in envelopes.
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have not bothered to post a link to this article if it were not for the fact that Shatner directed Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, had a hit with his creation called TekWar, or had bestselling Star Trek novels for Pocket Books. It could be argued that his books were ghost-written for him by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, but Shatner's name does open doors.

Unlike the typical fan on the street, Shatner could probably get a meeting with the Paramount brass to pitch his ideas. Most of us assume that they are ego-stroking pig swill, but they might be pretty good and might be what is needed to invigorate the franchise.

I'm not saying that Star Trek V: The Final Frontier didn't have its problems. Partly the film's main theme was already beaten to death in the animated series, partly the studio didn't give Shatner the special effects budget he needed. But the script by Shatner, Harve Bennett, and David Loughery contains alot of the elements that made Star Trek work. I very much enjoyed the free-climbing El Capitan and camping sequences. Like other fans I do cringe about the idea of Sybok and the fact that Spock was born in a cave lighted by torches on the planet Vulcan. Plus the whole god thing played by George Murdock was pretty awful as were the 1980s-looking heavy metal rock star Klingons. Klaa and Vixis would look at home on stage with Dee Snyder, Axl Rose, or The Slash. [Frown]

But with the ideas unread and unseen, I am unwilling to just shoot them down and say that Shatner is a jerk and should never be involved with Star Trek again. Frankly, I cannot see them being much worse than the ideas of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. [Wink]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
had a hit with his creation called TekWar
God, it's like reading Jackie Harvey. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
I would support a Shatner created series so much, I would send money to him in envelopes.

Hell, I would be willing to do that to see The Final Frontier as it was intented to be just to give the man the budget he needs. He already has the want to do it...we've already seen TPTB piss away loads of money on crap already...give the man a chance...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
Partly the film's main theme was already beaten to death in the animated series

Considering that only 0.000000000000000001% of the people watching the film would have known that, I'd say it wasn't too much of a problem.

And I have a soft spot for ST V. Yeah, it was bad, but it was entertaining bad. ST:TMP was just "Oh my god, I wish the TV would explode just so that SOMETHING WOULD HAPPEN" bad. And I like the shore leave sequence at the beginning too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those two writers for Shatner's novels are very well versed in Trek, and I'd have happily seen some of their novels (especially the non-Shat related ones) adapted as episodes or feature films. Since they are in so good with Paramount and Pocket for so long, I've always been surprised that the Reeve-Stevenses haven't participated in coming up with stories for the films and series (they do have a TV credit, story editors on a PHANTOM animated series from a ways back.) With Shatner 'headlining' them (I can't imagine he'd do much more than come up with a line or two of idea for them to flesh out, though I, like a few others, really really like the core of TREK 5, and love the stuff with the big 3 as well as the way Shatner set up his camera in non-FX scenes), I'd be very interested in seeing what they came up with.

Outside of late late 23rd Century, there's no time period I'm particularly enamored of in Trek, but there's gold -- okay, dilithium -- to be mined in that vein, with the passing of the frontier aspect of TOS into the too-boring era of NextGen (sort of like most of my favorite westerns, ones that are set at the end of the era, in 1910 or so, like WILD BUNCH and THE PROFESSIONALS and BITE THE BULLET.)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ST:TMP was just "Oh my god, I wish the TV would explode just so that SOMETHING WOULD HAPPEN"
Just watch it in fast forward. That usually works.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turn the volume down and do a Mystery Science Theater bit with them.

I also imitate the movie by opening my eyes really wide and gaping. [Smile]

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there IS a fan-made MST3K of ST5, which I thought was rather good. Personally, I think all shows and movies should have MST3K attached like closed captioning, where you can turn it on and off at will. But that's me.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dad, turn on MST3K! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps