Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS by Stardate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS by Stardate
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha!

So, when I was working on my nerdiest list ever, involving episodes and when they occured, I wanted to keep track of every valid dating scheme possible.

But even if we disregard the animated series (which I of course did) and disregard stardates going backwards in, uh, I forget, and handwave the overlap you point out, there's still a problem. Namely: The episode "Miri" begins on 2713.5, and later, when we hear that the crew only has two more days until they are killed by life-extending space leprosy, the stardate is 2717.3. "Dagger of the Mind" takes place on and around 2715.2. The events of "Miri" preclude the Enterprise from popping off for a quick supply mission.

Now, this is quite possibly the lamest post I have ever posted. And we could just handwave this away too. But stardates simply don't make any kind of sense at all in TOS.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be tempted to say Kirk misspoke under stress and reversed the last two digits of the second stardate from Miri. But that would require my caring about such mundanities.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
So going by air-date order is crazy and mental then?

Ummm this is news to you?

I mean, airdate order puts "Where No Man Has Gone Before" AFTER "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X," for flubb's sake! [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only order that makes sense is production order. Maybe because that's actually the order in which the episodes were made 8)*

*Sorry, Lee, I still have to work on a signature smiley

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should get royalties. Cartman'd've made me rich by now. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pffft. I expressly changed mine at your behest! OK, it's still a ripoff, but at least this one hadn't been done before. B)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I mean, airdate order puts "Where No Man Has Gone Before" AFTER "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X," for flubb's sake! [Eek!]

Yes, but going by production order for other Trek series doesn't work, unless you want Unification II to take place before Unification I. So why should it apply to TOS?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I used that one too, so there. 8P

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

Yes, but going by production order for other Trek series doesn't work, unless you want Unification II to take place before Unification I. So why should it apply to TOS?
Following production order for TOS and the first season of TNG should be the rule to "Unification" 1 & 2 and say, "Family" being the exception for the sole fact that they are more than likely filmed out of order for a reason - not because the stardate system hadn't gotten its shit together yet. The End. [Big Grin]

(Besides, who'd a thunk 35 years ago folks would be having nerd orgies like this over the order of stardates vs airdates vs production order?) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you're saying that we should follow one logical system, and ignore any obvious errors that are caused by it?

I really have to remember that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Dixon in his chronology suggest going by TOS novelizations order [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dixon can be a bunch of BS.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dixon can be a bunch of BS."

can be?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps