Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Hatred for Berman and Braga? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatred for Berman and Braga?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
BOBW's deflector weapon was not technobable, but the First Contact Borg not having their impenetratable subspace field was bullshit.

Hmm. I might agree with you on it not being technobabble. It did boil down to "we'll put all the power we have from everything into one massive burst that will leave us crippled". So yeah, it wasn't overly bad. But it would have been a rubbish way to destroy the Borg.

As for FC, the counter-argument would have been "Picard could work his way through it due to his Borg-related insights". Which stops it being deus ex machina babble.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, they will prolly do a re-imagining like Galactica.....

NCC-1701XXX The Starship Innerthighs.

Captain Jason Abbadon commanding
Obligatory Vulcan PsyLiam
Engineering officer Cartman
Security officer Omega

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
QUOTE]Hmm. I might agree with you on it not being technobabble. It did boil down to "we'll put all the power we have from everything into one massive burst that will leave us crippled". So yeah, it wasn't overly bad. But it would have been a rubbish way to destroy the Borg.

As for FC, the counter-argument would have been "Picard could work his way through it due to his Borg-related insights". Which stops it being deus ex machina babble.

Yeah, Picard had the "in" on the Borg but I was referring to the damage the fleet caused to the cube prior to Enterprise E's arrival (28%?) being bullshit due to a lack of any explanation of the loss of the subspace field either in FC or during Voyager's run.
Was the BOBW cube something special that it had such a potent defense and the other collective ships dont?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly the fleet had a lot of Really Cool New Weapons that Voyager and the BOBW fleet lacked. After all, the Enterprise herself managed to damange a good quarter of the Borg cube in "Q Who".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
after Enterprise's run, the franchise should be put away for a few years - even a decade or two, and brought back with a new approach, and better yet, a new NCC-1701- ... K? [Smile]

And this is the big problem I have every single time the fans bring up this point. It breaks down thusly:

"Berman and Braga no longer have original ideas. They never do anything new. The franchise needs a rest, and then it will come back in a new better form. Something ground breaking and original like...setting the show on a ship a century on from the last series".

I can see arguments for and against the whole "hiatus" thing, but it's really not helped when the same fans complaining about a lack of originality then demand that we should get "Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Next Generation".

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Possibly the fleet had a lot of Really Cool New Weapons that Voyager and the BOBW fleet lacked. After all, the Enterprise herself managed to damange a good quarter of the Borg cube in "Q Who".

THe Enterprise only managed to damage the cube before they were analyzed by the borg intruders.
After that, nothing had any affect at all.

I was actually thinking that the fleet might have used new sensors to determine where the cube was emitting the subspace field from and used up all their quantum torpedos to disable it (resulting the the 28% damage).
It would at least explain why the Defiant didint fire Quantums and why the supposedly baddass Akira was only firing photons as well.

Doesnt explain what happened on Voyager, but then again, what does?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, how long did Data say it was going to take to reach Earth? There was probably a running firefight all the way from the Typhon sector, and all the nifty new weapons from Starfleet R&D that Our Heroes were talking about in BoBW, Part 1, got used to smack them down to 72% intact before they reached Earth and the Enterprise showed up.

Additionally, I don't want to see the next iteration of Star Trek set another generation further on. By the end of Voyager, the tech is already getting too boring. One of the things I think worked best about TOS (and Voyager, with the non-crap scripts) was the sense of the galaxy still being frikkin' huge, and Starfleet HQ was waaaay far away. With Earth a week's travel away from Bajor with regular warp drive, and the quantum slipstream, coaxial warp drives, and the various forms of transwarp thrown into the mix, it's making the galaxy too small. I think the best premise for a new Trek series is to take the set-up offered by the DS9 Mission: Gamma novels. The Defiant did a brief recon to see if there were worlds or regions worth exploring in the non-Dominion direction from the wormhole -- and there are.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Also, how long did Data say it was going to take to reach Earth?

--Jonah

A little over three hours....plenty of time for deflector based weapons to have been enployed and many many Federation starships to have been lost.
It burns my ass that there was no mention of it though:
A simple line from Data: "Sir, the Borg's subspace field is down and the cube has sustained 23% damage and a few minor paper cuts." would have been great.
THe subspace field was just completely overlooked by the Voyager writers as the Federtion light cruiser easily kicks the BOrg's ass week after week after week...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how many times did Voyager outright engage the Borg anyway? The only times I remember were "Dark Frontier" and "Endgame". The first they were up against a very small ship, and the second they were equipped with uber-tech. Am I missing some?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unimatrix Zero. Voyager vs. UberCube, and all that.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But they had help there. And it self-destructed anyway.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people who really have hatred for B&B urgently need to get a life. Or understand real life. B&B are just doing their jobs. Nothing more and nothing less. And in this respect we can complain about Star Trek like about any product whenever we think they're bad at their jobs.

But what I don't like at all is when fans fail to distinguish the two points of view. As if a show with different or, more precisely, with their personal ideas would naturally stir up more interest. That's just as naive as B&B's attempts to lure adolescent viewers with boobs and explosions.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, boobs and explosions. [Razz] ~

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Bernd.

There was a thread over at the TrekBBS that expounded on a rumor that Berman might be losing his job as exec of ENT. There were about twenty replies stating that "this is good news" or "the show really needed this." If I ever posted there (which I will never do, but if I did), I would have told them all to go to hell. How in the world is the possibility of someone losing their job & livelihood considered "good news"? In my work experience, I've been fired from jobs and have had to fire people from their jobs. It was not "good news" to me in the least.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the show has a fair chance of being better with someone else running it. And since I want the show to get better, I consider it good news that they may be bringing in someone else to run it. My concern is not that Berman may lose his job, but rather that another individual who can make better production decisions will get it. In order for someone new to come in, someone old needs to be fired first. I personally am glad to hear that this may happen.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps