Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crazy-ass RUMOR about a prequel trilogy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Crazy-ass RUMOR about a prequel trilogy
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...a quack writer named Kurt Von Danigut(sp?)..."

Erich von Däniken. I think you're thinking of Kurt Vonnegut there.

"It's a lame premise that all those culture's gods were silly aliens (except, of course Judeo/Christianity: that would be offensive!)."

Well, they've had a Goa'uld Satan. And, of course, if they offend nine-tenths of their audience, the show's not going to last very long, is it?

Besides, they've never suggested that all religions, outside of Judaism and its offspring, were influenced by aliens. Not to mention that I don't think they've ever really said that aliens started the religions. The religions may already have existed, and the Goa'uld just took advantage of that fact.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Not to mention that I don't think they've ever really said that aliens started the religions. The religions may already have existed, and the Goa'uld just took advantage of that fact.

They have said as much. The religions were pre-existing, and the Goa'ulds just took the names for themselves.

B.J.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, it's worth noting that I don't think they've used ANY extant religion, except for Nirrti a brief mention of Kali.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Although I'd wager that as a result of these ancient religions being described in SG-1, they have all been re-founded now... There's a social demand for such things. Even within the scifi audiences. Or perhaps especially within the scifi audiences.

Interestingly, SG-1 is about the most premise-faithful and continuity-minded scifi show there is. One new main character in seven years, and he turns out to be an addition instead of a replacement. No major departures. One main villain who cannot really die, and who for once has a perfect excuse to come back from the dead (it's what his species does as a matter of routine) and continue to be as evil and stupid as ever (ditto). Great tech continuity - every little gadget or phenomenon gets a re-mention when the situation warrants. And the "Gilligan's Island" premise of the heroes never scoring a decisive victory is pretty well sustained and rationalized, too.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One main villain who cannot really die, and who for once has a perfect excuse to come back from the dead..."

Well, except that he only came back once. The second time they killed him, he stayed dead.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the show would have been much, much better for making it the maiden voyage of NCC-1701 under Captain April"

Why on earth would you think this?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kurt Von Danigut.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yes, it's all his fault. That bastard.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.
Afterall, aincent man was FAR too stupid to ever build pyrimids and anything except cower in the greatness of our great space god overlords!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol~

Because the background fits that era much better. The Federation exists, but is not quite to the point of cooperation and intermingling we see in TFS. Spock being the first Vulcan on an otherwise all-human Starfleet ship was one of the way-pavers that allowed for M'Ress and Arex to jump in, and so on from there. But at this point (224x), there's still a lot of clique-ism among members.

Interwoven with that, the technology fits a closer pre-TOS period much better than the Romulan Wars era. The recent duotronics breakthrough, the miniaturization of phasers and transporters to the point that they can be mounted aboard ships, and warp 5+ ftl drives were all evidently recent things during Pike's command.

And on a cosmetic level, I wouldn't have minded seeing versions of the pre-TOS uniforms, the blue-grey bridge, and such like with modern budgets and production values. Plus, Scott Bakula looks enough like a younger Gene Roddenberry that I can see him as April. No worries about Our Heroes being needed for stories. Kirk is about ten years old at this point.

All in all, it would be more instinctively appropriate to that era for me to watch than what we have now. How many people in here have actually read Final Frontier? Aside from the usual technical mess Diane Carey makes, she's a hell of a storyteller, and the characters and situation therein are much more compelling to me than the pilot episode of Enterprise.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But any sort of prequel is going to face the same issue the Ent has - the writers in wanting to "pump it up" are going to have to step on the technological toes of the "later" series.

If they actually want to do post-Ent trek (which is the most unlikely part of this to my mind) they'd be best served going forward in time from where we left of - and forgetting 1/2 of Voyager.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ll thry need do is loot to Star Wars for all the reasons needed NOT to do any more "Prequel".

Besides, why would they remove Enterprise (just as it's really getting good) to risk everything on this supposed "fresh" idea?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The concepts and stories (Lucas is an excellent cinematic writer) behind the SW Prequels are sound, it is merely the execution (primarily due to his immature directing style IMO) with which one might have qualms.

And yes, these rumors smack of bullshit to me as well...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
The concepts and stories (Lucas is an excellent cinematic writer) behind the SW Prequels are sound, it is merely the execution (primarily due to his immature directing style IMO) with which one might have qualms.

Not to mention his hack storytelling, crap dialogue, and complete failure to understand dramatic structure....

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did you not like the original trilogy either?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps