Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crazy-ass RUMOR about a prequel trilogy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Crazy-ass RUMOR about a prequel trilogy
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going from "Enterprise's third season has been OK" to "it far outshines any other sci-fi out there" is so high a flight of logic the mind starves for oxygen.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find me another show (currently produced) that's near as good.

Okay, except Stargate,which while good, has a lame-ass premise, IMHO.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for E. Keeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Therein lies the problem, they dont make 'em like they used to..

Back in the day and all that......

--------------------
"Smooth as an Android's bottom...?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *love* The Fifth Element. So, so, so much better than Nemsis.

As for this idea of a prequel trilogy for Trek:
A) There's no way the studio would greenlight 3 movies in a row without seeing how the first one goes. Only New Line has enough balls to do that. But Peter Jackson exists ina different universe from the rest of us...

B) If they indeed go forward with the idea, it'll be as good as they make it. The premise certainly has possibility, especially for fans of the franchise. It also has the potential to suck hard. Just like every other installation that has come out, it'll be whatever they make out of it. Blanket statements like "It's a prequel, it must blow as that is the nature of all things such" are just as crap statements that it'll be good just because it's Trek. Though I haven't heard anyone say that yet...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Keeler:

Sure: Do you have any concept of the hundreds of absolute ship movies and TV pilots for sci-fi shows from the 1980's?

As a modeler, I've seen many of these horrors while researching some model for someone and....well, be thankful for anything today that learned from those bad ideas.
Sci-Fi Channel still produces such shit on a regualr basis.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Stargate,which while good, has a lame-ass premise..."

Lamer than Enterprise's "hunt for the terrorists" premise?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day we get a Xindi leader named B'n L'ad'n, I'll stop watching.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, but there's methods to his madness. They're inflicting considerable damage on the klingon vessels!
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by E. Keeler:

Sure: Do you have any concept of the hundreds of absolute ship movies and TV pilots for sci-fi shows from the 1980's?

As a modeler, I've seen many of these horrors while researching some model for someone and....well, be thankful for anything today that learned from those bad ideas.
Sci-Fi Channel still produces such shit on a regualr basis.

Well there is a market for B movies, sci-fi or otherwise. Blame Blockbuster and other forgetable Rental chains for that genre's continued existance...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's strong reason why The West Wing is the only show I currently watch. The last absorbing s/f show I watched was Babylon 5. I've given everything else a try, and some have held me through more than one whole episode -- but not many.

Voyager and Andromeda fall somewhat in the same category in my mind -- decent episodes when I happen to catch it, but nothing in the concept or execution that drew me in. FarScape I liked, but it got way too wierd way too quickly. The Dune miniseries and BSG both stunk to high heaven. The sound heard from my couch while attempting to view them was a wail of contiuing anguish. Those are properties I love so much, it took a lot of effort on the part of the Sci-Fi Channel to make me turn them off unfinished.

Ditto Star Trek and Enterprise. I still try to watch from time to time, and I've followed the evolution of the series on these boards, but I can't help it -- I hate the premise and the execution and can't make it all the way through a single episode without squirming. I just re-read "Final Frontier" a couple weeks ago, and was hit afresh by the deep bitter feeling that the show would have been much, much better for making it the maiden voyage of NCC-1701 under Captain April.

*sigh* And I know of no shows in development that show even a degree of the promise of Babylon 5 or FarScape.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
[QB]
"...RHW didn't have that great a showing with Andromeda...."

I don't know about that. The show wouldn't have been so bad if Sorbo hadn't crushed the life out of it.

Possibly, I'll grant you that. But, even in the pilot when the Sorbo influence wasn't as strong, there were still some pretty childish elements.
I gave it a chance up till pretty much of the end of the second season, but I really didn't ever see anything that made me go "Wow, thats good science fiction. That really makes me think."
Let's just say I'm doubtful, and leave it at that.

Jason:

Missing the point.
With a couple of drinks, you *may* be able to convince me that Enterprise *might* the shinest piece of crap in the big pile of science fiction crap on TV right now....but...you know how it goes.
Also, I'll gladly agree to the fact that there was a lot of crap produced in the 80s, but so what?
Also, Fifth Element? Who mentioned Fifth Element?

Long live the strawman.

None of this remotely touches on the quality of Star Trek, and the assertion that we wouldn't watch it if we weren't previously committed. Especially because you know....there's more to life than watching science fiction on TV.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Okay, except Stargate,which while good, has a lame-ass premise, IMHO."

How so? The premise is that humans find an alien device that allows them to explore the galaxy. They attract the attention of the device's previous owners, and now they have to stop those aliens from taking over the Earth.

And of course, most of the episodes actually center on their own individual plots and the characters. So, what's "lame-ass" about that?

"I gave it a chance up till pretty much of the end of the second season..."

You held out hope longer than I did, then.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's a lame premise that all those culture's gods were silly aliens (except, of course Judeo/Christianity: that would be offensive!).

It's 1970's new age nonsense right out of Chariots of the Gods.

Ra (from the movies) was depicted as a last survivor of his dying race and he was a creepy grey alien thing: not a trill.
If they'd done the show without the Gu'uld being Ra's race, it would sit better with me.
Those Snake-Head costumes are pitifuly silly as well.

I DO like the show a lot though, mainly when they meet new races and for the actor/charcater interaction wich is often on par with DS9's chemestry.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

It's 1970's new age nonsense right out of Chariots of the Gods.

Well, even 60's perhaps.
There WAS a TOS episode (or two, depending on what you count) based on this very idea.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes, the whole "Apollo thing" but in the 70's a quack writer named Kurt Von Danigut(sp?) wrote a silly book basically claiming that all of aincent man's great achievments (pyrimids in particular) were the result of their being taught how my aliens.
The notion became a craze and we got In Search Of (bringing it back to trek sorta) and the premise for Stargate.

TLC ran a miniseries on this guy's "theories" (more like wild specualtion) a few years back ...and that's when I realised that "The Learning Channel" had become the idiot channel.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps