Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Wrath of Khan - Director's Cut (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wrath of Khan - Director's Cut
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally coughed up the bucks for the Director's Cut DVD.

Awesome. WOK has always been my favorite - but this expanded version was even better - and some of the little 'snippets' made the whole thing make more sense.

On a parallel note - I grabbed the Expanded editions of the first two LOOR movies as well. Far superior to their theatrical release versions.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With maybe one or two exceptions, I found the additions to be extraneous and poorly carried out by the actors. (I suspect that's why they were cut in the first place.) And the alternate takes of scenes that I'd become so familiar with from the theatrical version were annoying.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did they not ust use the extended TV version? The one with Scotty explaining that Preston is is nephew?
That's really the only version you neeed to watch, IMHO.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that line is indeed in there.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Nick Meyer felt this was the best version. Plus, it does have Scotty explaining Preston is his nephew.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember ever hearing of any nephew.

Treknofile: "LOOR"? From Omicron Persei 8?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he didn't use the word "nephew". I believe he said something along the lines of "my sister's only child".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm....I've only seen the SE once at a friend's house.
I'd already been burned by Paramount by buying the normal DVD of TWOK wich, of course, has not asingle fucking bit of extras: not even the "my sister's only child" bit.
This was back before I was wise to Paramount's ways.

I just cant give them more money for a movie that should've been on the normal DVD.

They sold us videos of episodes for $20 each...and we bought them.
They sold us DVD's with nothing extra....and we bought them....
The line must be drawn here!
This far and no farther!
I wont buy two versions of all those trek movies!
(smashes models with rifle)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, Paramount hurt you, and now you're going to hurt them back? B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If by "hurt them back" you mean watch Enterprise every week and buy the Generations and First Contact DVD SE when they come out, then yes.
I'm going to hurt them so bad.

(insert shameful emoticon here)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, people just never know when to quit. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, this is why you never buy the theatrical release of anything. [Big Grin] I learned that back in 1990 when I found a bootleg video of Aliens at a con, with all the extra footage from the laserdisk version.

The special edition of Star Trek II is the only Star Trek DVD I own. (I do own III, IV, and VI on video, but IV was a gift, III I stole from my brother, and VI was part of a "3 for $2" deal on very used tapes. The other two were Romeo + Juliet and Tank, if anyone's curious.) I remember when the original DVDs came out, with the TV ads trumpeting the "unique special feature" of being able to skip to a partcular scene from a menu. I knew right then these dweps didn't have clue, and that I should wait.

I may buy some seasons of DS9 and TNG someday--if I win the lottery or something--but for now I've spent my limited fundage on the much less insanely overpriced Buffy and Babylon 5 boxed sets.

I still haven't bought The Matrix. Someday there'll be an extended version of that, I'm sure.

Marian

PS: The line was, "my sister's youngest, admiral. Crazy to get to space."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
I may buy some seasons of DS9 and TNG someday--if I win the lottery or something--but for now I've spent my limited fundage on the much less insanely overpriced Buffy and Babylon 5 boxed sets.

I tell ya, eBay is the way to go on good deals! I've never paid more than $50-60 a box set, Ive even seen a TNG-season5 at Fye in the used section for $50. Now granted I've noticed the prices on eBAy for TNG have increased significantly since 2002, but DS9 can be found in many cases yet, under $70.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Except I gott boned and my season 3 of DS9 is missing the first disk.
So I have the series except for The Search PtI-II.

No, I'm not going to blow another $60 for those two episodes: I have them on tape and that's how it'll stay.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only extended scene that bothers me is the "Carol readies her troops" one, in which I don't think the actors were as on top of their lines as they were in the originally used take. I don't know, the cadence is just off, and perhaps that's simply a case of familiarity, but there you are.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps