Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Die is Cast" question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Die is Cast" question
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that Cmdr. guy that blew up in "Conspiracy" with Intel, he wore red. Worf on DS9 was Strategic Operations Officer, is that intel?

I seem to remember specifc examples, but at the moment... it might be the benadryl... I can't.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going off on another "IIRC" limb...

Didn't we see a flag officer in SF Intelligence service in "The Pegasus"? There was explicit dialogue on the organization there (separating it from SF Security for the very first time), and we saw at least one redshirted admiral in addition to Pressman, namely one Maggie Blackwell. Was she identified as SFI or not?

Then again, SFI might include people from several departments (or at least should have its share of staff officers, who might warrant the blue shirt), and thus could also have flag officers in several colors.

Also, FWIW, "The Search" defined the unnamed head of SF Security as a she... Which doesn't mean Toddman couldn't have replaced her soon thereafter. Or that Toddman couldn't be a she with a slight hormonal imbalance.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Sloan, ostensibly with Internal Affairs or something, wore red. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sloan really does'nt count as an operative on anything official.

I'd venture that Starfleet Intel. would probably be a branch of Starfleet Security and that the larger organization would have members from all branches of Starfleet, including Tactical, Medical, Command, and someone to liason with the President and the Council.

In a democracy/Republic as vast as the Federation, there's be no shortage of titles and uniforms.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Sloan was pretending to be part of a presumably legitmate agency. (And for that matter, may actually have been. It's implied that Section 31 draws its personnel from all over.)

(At the time, a little put off by what struck me as an unnecessary proliferation of security departments, I thought that perhaps Internal Affairs was created in the wake of fears of changeling infiltration. ((Since that would give them a more specific reason to be.)) I don't know, the name just sounds a little too police-procedurey to me.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah: Internal Affairs sounds dopey: starfleet officer's are supposed to be moral without that kind of oversight.
Mabye they mostly review Prime Directive violations or something like the Temporal Investigations do (although, the TI goons would never be able to enforce of really even investigate changes to the timeline in DS9's era).

The war might've given some branches of SI unheard-of latitude during the general paranoia of Al Queida...er...Changling intfiltration. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From "The Pegasus":
quote:

PICARD
[snip!]
There will be a full
inquiry once we reach Starbase two-four-seven...
and it will probably
lead to a general court martial of
Admiral Pressman and several
others at Starfleet Intelligence.

This might indicate Pressman was with Intel. And he was dressed in red. But that might of course be Command red, and not Intelligence red [Wink]

BTW, first mention of "Starfleet Intelligence" is in "Chain of Command", in relation to Cardassian metagenic weapons. (shameless selfpromotion)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Simon. It wouldn't do for Sloan to turn up, present his bogus credentials and then have everyone say "But shouldn't you be in gold?" If he was going to have those weird pips, he'd have the correct uniform to go with them.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remmick from "Conspiracy" was with the inspector general's office.

I don't think Pressman was meant to be a member of Starfleet Intelligence, but rather an SI affiliate.

BTW, uniform color vs. assignment really doesn't mean much.. You could be an associate of any division and still wear command colors, or be a command officer and wear some color from a division or assignment you are affiliated with. Doesn't say much for rhyme or reason, but Spock was a first officer first in command color, then in blue cuz he was a science officer too. Dr. Mulhall was a scientist but wore services/operations colors. Commodores Stone and Stocker were commanders, with Stone being a former starship captain, both wore serv/ops colors. The 3 tactical officers in Arena wore red, gold and blue. Science division Admiral Haftel wore command colors, science officer Saavik as well. Scotty switched back and forth from command color to engineering color after being promoted to captain. Sam LaVelle wore command red despite being promoted to ops. Worf wore red as a security chief for a while, then yellow, but wore red to become some tactical whatzit guy on DS9. Doctor Crusher wore command on the Pasteur. The extra captains in "Court-Martial" wore varied colors, blue included. Uhura wore gold, then red. Data switched to a red uniform for a week to become Jellico's first officer, but he didnt to become the Sutherland's captain. O'Brien wore red for a sec too.

I think that its dependant on where you are stationed and what your specific function is.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've also seen a member of Starfleet Intel in the one where O'brien went off to join the Orion Syndicate. His handler was with Intelligence, though he wasn't in uniform.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if TOS serves as a great example for use of proper uniform color. I'd bet they just used what was on hand and fit the person who needed them.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
 -

The quality is because it's from a DivX rip, not the actual DVD.

Here is a a DVD cap:
 -

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, that would have to be a custom uniform. I don't think you could modify a normal TNG uniform to look like that, and we'd never seen one before, which means that the costuming department had to specifically make a gold admiral's uniform.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. He gained weight on the DVD.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Why have you taken a widescreen cap of a non-widescreen image? You idiot. Get out. Now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps