Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Sol reviews...the new encyclopedia! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sol reviews...the new encyclopedia!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure I'd scan it.

If I had a scanner that worked.

And if I actually owned the book.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being me, I ordered the hardcover. Should arrive on Monday.

Yay! Now we know the name of NCC-42111.

The Prometheus registry thing is interesting.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind if I claim the NX-74913 for the SWDAO page Frank?

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, go ahead.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do so!!

This number is more suitable for the Prometheus design!

BTW: What made you think that the Ticonderoga is the Insurrection scout??

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that registry does seem better. Perhaps they used the original NX-59650 from the original program. Then it got scrapped, then the decided to use a better registry.

By the way, how does my schematic compare to the official Delta Flyer Schematic?
http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/deltaschem.jpg
Cut and paste in a new window.

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to point out that NX-74913 is also on the MSD shown in the Enc3.

I believe that the USS Ticonderoga was the ship that Admiral Dougherty and the Starfleet crew came from, and that the scout ship was an auxiliary craft for the Ticonderoga. Here's the Ticonderoga's entry:

"Ticonderoga, U.S.S. Federation starship. The Ticonderoga reported to the Ba'ku homeworld in 2375 to facilitate the planet becoming a Federation protectorate. (Star Trek: Insurrection).
Named to honor the capture of Fort Ticonderoga on May 10, 1775, by Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys."

Your Delta Flyer diagram and the one in the Enc3 are very similar.

------------------
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited September 25, 1999).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully, the hardcover version of the encyclopedia has more information than the softcover, otherwise the price at retail [$60.00] is unjustified. Frank, when you receive the hardcover, can you confirm the number of pages as being 800.

And I agree based on the information provided that the USS Ticonderaga is the mother ship of the scout. This is the fourth or fifth ship that is named after a Revolutionary War battle-USS Concorde, USS Lexington, USS Saratoga, USS Ticonderaga, and USS Yorktown.

The ships that are missing from the list are the
USS Curry (?)
USS Manson
USS Yorktown [what is the registry of this ship?]

I accept the registry of the USS Prometheus as NX-74913. This makes logical sense.

I will not be buying either the August or October version of the encyclopedia. I personnally feel that Paramount is buttf***ing the loyal fans of Star Trek with substandard products.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited September 25, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds to me like the Ticonderoga might be some ship from a lost line of dialogue from "Insurrection." After all, they cut so much out of what they filmed. . . 'Federation protectorate' sounds like what they'd call the Ba'ku homeworld to keep it safe from other Son'a, and the Ticonderoga would be a ship to come look after the planet while Picard takes the Enterprise back to earth to kick the Federation council around a bit.

After all, some ship had to turn up to bring another warpcore. . . 8)

------------------
"Have you seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox), Manhunter (Michael Mann, 1986)

Hobbes
Member # 138

I got the hardcover today, that list comes from it. And to answer your questions...

There are a total of 745 pages.

No mention of the USS Curry or USS Shelley.
No mention of the USS Manson.
And guess what, no mention of the USS Yorktown in the supplement.

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget what one other ship that is missing
the USS Gander.

Pardon my language in the last posting. I
don't like seeing people or myself being
manipulated or used in such an obvious
fashion. Instead of improving the older
encyclopedia, the older encyclopedia is given
an appendix with very brief and incomplete
entries. This is to save money-don't have to
repress the orignal pages with corrections
and new entries. Does this savings translate
to the buyer? NO. The buyer is paying the
higher price for the hardcover and the
softcover. [First One, he probably thinks I
am in a stint. Yes, I am. I don't like seeing people being burned. This was one of my
original complaints with the handling of the
site in early summer. Manipulation is one of
my biggest turn-offs. Treat me honestly or
screw off. However, after visiting the other
sites, I feel at home here and I accept the
conditions of the site. And I will do whatever is needed to keep the site running. The water is under the bridge] I voice my disapproval by not
buying the encyclopedia or other related Stsr Trek Merchandise. This is my choice. And i
accept the choice of others.

Now that the most vocal and most negative
voice on this matter has spoken, let's
discuss the positives of the encyclopedia.
For those who have the encyclopedia, what are the items you like most about the book?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Hobbes
Member # 138

Oh yes, the Gander/Ganda... not mentioned.

Well what I like about the Enc3, well...uh...

The only thing new out it is the supplement in the back. I already wrote to Mike Okuda asking why the supplement couldn't of simply been a separate book that way I didn't have to spend $60 for an encyclopedia I already had just for the extra 128 pages. I also think it's pretty lame to have the new stuff in the back. So you'll have to look up something in two places instead of having all the information in one entry.

BTW, thanks to whoever cleared up my typo posts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited September 25, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Gander/Ghanda? And that was my favourite Starships Mystery of the Year (TM).

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You call THAT a snit? Sheesh, Targy-Wargy, you need to be taken in hand. Sit at the feet of the master and I will educate you in the finer points of losing one's rag. But what's with your text? We have word wrap, you know. . .8)

But you're right. This latest version does the others no credit at all. To repeat some of the most blinding mistakes of the 2nd edition. . . and lump in a lot of incomplete stuff in a haphazard fashion, it's not on.

I mean, how may of us would have helped out getting these parts sorted out, for free? Were they concentrating on all the non-tech stuff?

------------------
"Have you seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox), Manhunter (Michael Mann, 1986)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tech stuff has always been among the fundamental information in the Encyclopedias, though.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps