Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Sol reviews...the new encyclopedia! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sol reviews...the new encyclopedia!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this. Could someone point out the passage in the official Trek fan handbook requiring us to purchase every thing with a logo impressed upon it? Or perhaps the part where it says that Paramount will execute our children if we don't pour enough pennies into their cups?

I'm willing to bet that repeat buyers of the encyclopedia are in the minority. Quite simply, this book isn't exactly aimed at us. I have a hard time believing that every Star Trek fan is quite so obsessive as those you find online. (Myself included, of course.)

Is a lot of this merchandise overpriced crap? Sure enough. But I discovered this nifty little feature. Turns out, I'm the only one who gets to write checks from my bank account. I'm the only person who can spend my money. Isn't that wild?

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummmm, what about the USS Challenger - granted it was in an alternate timeline - but it was built before the events in 'Timeless' so wouldn't be effected by the shifts in timestreams, just like Crusher's ship in AGT...

Andrew

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mention of the USS Challenger, in fact, no mention of "Timeless" at all.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two other ships are missing from the list: the USS Veracruz and the USS Truman.

I read in Star Trek Communicator that this may be the last version of the encyclopedia. The Okudas are becoming tired of doing the book. This is best.

My approach to an encyclopedia
*have commitees to do planets and other stellar bodies, characters, ships and stations, technology, and others
*each commitee would research and catalogue the available data from scipts, okudagrams, and notes from the production departments
*after this researching and cataloging, each commitee would write entries [this would make the encyclopedia complete. The claim on Amazon.com is that the encyclopedia is complete. Comments on this thread show this statement to be stretching.] Inconsistencies would be covered in appendixs to the appropriate material.
*every three years, an update would be published

Features would include the original source material-the okudagrams, lines from the scripts, models, etc. and would feature art work depicting events, people, ships, planets, etc. The original source material would provide confirmation and depth to the entries. And arguments for the inconsistencies would be aided by the original source material.

One last note, the word conjecture would be removed from the entries. "Conjecture" suggests that the entries lack credibilty. How can an entry be considered accurate if the author says the information is a guess?

The final product may be many tomes in length. However, I think the fans will buy the series. And Paramount would show that it cared about the fans, instead of wanting to rob them of their money.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part two
Volume Arrangement

Volume 1 to 3 Scripts for the original
Volume 4 to 11 Scripts for the next generation
Volume 12 to 19 Scipts for deep space nine
Volume 20 to 26 Scripts for Voyager
Above volumes are cross-indexed with the following volumes
Volume 27 Characters
Volume 28 Planets and Other Galactic Places
Volume 29 Ships
Volume 30 Technology
Volume 31 Stardates

Later volumes would be added as supplements

Could be computer or non-computer. Probably cheaper as computer.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful idea. If only it would happen.

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think publishing the scripts in volumes would be a good idea. An individual script is about US$11. Would you want to buy a few volumes of ~175 per series? Neither would I...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In viewing the new starship list i see that it almost mirrors (except the info on the fredrickson) our starship list in being that the info that we don't have, they dont have.

This bears a question

"do we have (internet) any bering on the book"

knowing that the version was put together hastily under a short time frame, that they would take any information they can get and were not able to "fill in" the other info

why don't we combine a list where the majority of us agree upon and send it to Okuda?

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely idea, but one thing I have learned about the greater on-line collective is that we all don't agree on much. If we were Borg we couldn't even commandeer a shopping cart from the galactic food market.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides which, Okuda and company have sought out assistance from online sources. Why do you think D. Joseph Creighton is in the acknowledgement section?

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if you don't have one of these things, is it worth buying.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick aside before I start to babble:
The USS Ganda/Gander you mentioned earlier.
Runabout? If so when I first heard it I checked my atlas and concluded it had to be Gandak, which is a river in....Asia I think. I know they clearly didn't say the k, but I assumed they were just ignorant.

It's an interesting point whether the online discussions here and elsewhere have any influence on Okuda's programme of "canonisation" (ho-ho) of facts.
I would say that if we, as a group were to extensively debate something, and then e-mail him with our collective opinions (kind of like a summary of the points raised), it WOULD have some influence. If nothing else being another little whispering voice in his ear.

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is D. Joseph Creighton?

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He runs the Star Trek Ships: Expanded site.

------------------
"Have you seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox), Manhunter (Michael Mann, 1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Gander is a river, too.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps