Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dukat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dukat
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I was justing watching DS9's 'Indiscretion', and those scenes with Dukat struck me as being rather strange. I mean, this man actually lead the occupation of Bajor, and is responsible for millions of deaths. And what's more, he practically raped Kira's mother. And yet he was a free man.

Was there ever any reason given for why he wasn't apprehended the moment he ever set foot on Bajoran soil again? Why was he basically free to go whereever he wanted to go? Even the Federation didn't apprehend him after the occupation was over. Surely this goes beyond the 'non-interference' policy of the Federation!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably some kind of quid pre quo agreement; we'll pull out of Bajor if you agree not to prosecute any Cardassian officials. I don't really remember most of what was said about the Cardassian withdrawal though.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Dukat's participation re: the Occupation the sort of thing that was never made entirely clear? I mean, sometimes he was just running the station, other times he was in charge of the whole operation.

Also, not remembering the details of the episode you've mentioned; did Dukat ever actually go to Bajor proper before the very end? DS9's jurisdictional status is contested in at least one episode I can think of.

At any rate, the Bajorans were willing to arrest and try other Cardassians, so I don't think any blanket immunity was in place.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 was a Bajoran station, and we know that Odo could arrest people. And he worked for the Bajoran Militia, if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but it was leased out to Starfleet, and when Bajor wanted to grab "Gul Dar'heel" there were some complicated legal manuverings.

I mean, there was definitely a lot of cooperation going on, but I think the situation was supposed to be vaguely similar to Guantanamo Bay in this respect.

It would have been very interesting to see some episodes where Bajoran and UFP policy differed to such an extent that the question of who really controls the station came to a head, but here we get into certain of my own probably narrow interests re: Star Trek stories I think would be neat.

On edit: For instance, if Bajor had come to an agreement with the Klingons, and had forbidden Starfleet from using the station to fight them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they wouldn't have gone against the word of the Emissary.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dukat was probably the last in a long line of heads of the Occupation.
Possibly, he was only in direct control for overseeing the withdrawl.

I'd imagine that the real atrocities were commited under someone else's watch: Dukat's tyranny only extended as far as the station.

I dont think the Bajorans would risk (during the first two seasons anyway) giving the Cardassians an excuse for retaliation by arresting every Cardassian officer they could get their hands on.
Only the big fish- like Gul Dar'heel.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
But they wouldn't have gone against the word of the Emissary.
This is just silly. Supportable, probably, within the show. But still silly.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, in this hypothetical situation - all we have to go by is a similar situation and that would be the establishment of the non-agression pact with the Dominion by the Bajorans. This was fast-tracked by Sisko as both a Starfleet Captain and the Emissary to the Prophets see "Call To Arms".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Sisko had not become an icon to the bajorans back in the first three seasons- after he found B'Halla and had that -very public- vision from the Prophets warning Bajor not to enter the Federation yet, then he could pull whatever stunt he wanted.

He was bigger than Jesus...and the Kai.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I think Dukat was probably the last in a long line of heads of the Occupation.
Possibly, he was only in direct control for overseeing the withdrawl.

The show establishes that he was in control of the station for at least a decade, and probably longer. (He's running it when Kira is just a child, according to that episode who's name I forget.) And during that time, he could arbitarily summon people up from Bajor for no obvious reason (other than wanting to shag them).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which begs the question... does Dukat like younger women?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His crush on Kira could be due to a resemblance to her mother...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very sick way to continue a relationship might I add...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. Although it's probably fairly low down on the list of naughty things that he did.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps