Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dukat (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dukat
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long do Cardassians live? I'm guessing something like Vulcans considering Dukat's age during the occupation when Kira was a child and during the time of DS9.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I think Dukat was probably the last in a long line of heads of the Occupation.
Possibly, he was only in direct control for overseeing the withdrawl.

The show establishes that he was in control of the station for at least a decade, and probably longer. (He's running it when Kira is just a child, according to that episode who's name I forget.) And during that time, he could arbitarily summon people up from Bajor for no obvious reason (other than wanting to shag them).
Exactylt right: he would have been running the station- not overseeing the whole planet.
Enabrin Tain seemed not to even recall who Dukat was when garak brought up his shit list. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't use anything Tain said as proof of anything though. Or even his reactions, come to that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought of that-Tain was probably verbally sparring with Garak, but it indicated (to me) that Dukat was not the head honcho for much of the occupation.

I'd imagine that at least a couple of former cardassian overseers (for want of an official title) were killed by resistance or replaced for not being able to eliminate them.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title for Dukat during the later years of occupation seemed to be Prefect, that is, the head honcho of the occupation. It would clarify the timeline a bit if his past alluded to in "Wrongs Darker..." was as a somewhat lowlier official, that is, merely a station commander. But I have a gnawing feeling in my gut that the title Prefect was uttered in "Wrongs Darker..".

On a slighthly more lunatic vein, what about saying that the Gul Dukat who sired Tora Ziyal and ruled Bajor until the withdrawal was the *son* of the Gul Dukat who courted Kira Meru a few decades earlier? That would explain the non-aging, and some other inconsistencies as well.

Then again, we could say that all of "Wrongs Darker.." was just another Orb hallucination with little or no basis in reality.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Very lunatic theory there.

Cardassians would enjoy the same longivity that Klingons and humans of the same technology level enjoy.

So, Dukat may be over 100 but still only the equivalent of 50 to us.

...and Cardassians may live longer naturally anyway.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it a given that "prefect" = "head of the entire occupation"?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly wasn't true at my school.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue of who is really in control of the station seems pretty well established in The Circle trilogy. When it came down to it and Bajor said, "get out", starfleet got.

My guess is that Sisko or Starfleet managed to talk Bajor down from alot of differences in policy, but had it come right down to it, Starfleet would've pulled out, especially had the disagreement come during the Klingon conflict.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but, see, the whole "Circle" thing was essentially a local affair. Sure, the wormhole was neat and all, but the Federation can afford to take the long view on some issues.

The Klingon affair, on the other hand, was Big, with the Dominion waiting in the wings.

Anyway, as I said, we saw similar issues arise elsewhere in the show, primarily in "Duet". The Bajorans wanted a dude but couldn't just grab him. I'm not trying to suggest that the Federation was protecting Dukat, incidently. Just saying.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps