Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Helm, navigation, security, armory, tactical and operations officers... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Helm, navigation, security, armory, tactical and operations officers...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, going back to the NX-01, the positions of XO seems to have either grown out of the situation that developed: simply put, there wasn't intended to be one (because Archer didn't have one when he left) but T'Pol, put on the bridge in the purely honourary position of Science Officer, acquired the mantle as a result of her argument with Tucker (when Archer was wounded) over who should take command.

As a result, you have the situation where a Second-in-Command exists, but more in terms of being in charge when the captain's absent, and the rest of the time having other duties such as Science Officer. But, consider:

"The Cage" - Number One occupies one of the two forward consoles, seemingly navigation. But was she the Navigator as well as XO, or was the Helm position still an all-in-one role (a la Mayweather) and that second seat at the fron console was simply the First Officer's Duty Station?

"WNMHGB" - I agree with Mim, Spock is definitely XO but also acts as Science Officer. This situation continues throughout TOS.

TMP - No mention of an official XO. Decker gets given the role after he relinquishes command. He's also briefly Science Officer before Spock turns up - but it's made plain this has nothing to do with him also being First Officer, they're just short-staffed. He's thus the only pure XO until Riker's time.

TOS - no XO position (before Spock assumes the role by relinquishing command) mentioned.

TFF/TUC - Back to normal, Spock is XO & SO.

TNG - XO has become an official position, usually in charge of many of the administrative duties involved in running a starship - crew evaluations and so forth. Riker and Chakotay, for example.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My idea was that during TOS, any one of the senior officers could double up as XO.

So basically, for TOS, we now have this:

• Helm Officer: Sulu.
  • Navigator: Supernumeraries, Chekov
  • Security Chief: Giotto

Most of the times, Sulu handled weapons. At least in TFF, the Navigator handled weapons (but that might be because the Helmsman was in custody and the Navigator was once Tactical Officer).

Are there any cases in wich the Navigator fired weapons?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It hink there are some in TOS, but I couldn't swear to it.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So the security chief in TOS is not a bridge officer?"

Well, why would he be? The only reason Reed, Worf, Tuvok have bridge positions is because they double as tactical officers. Since Sulu did that on the E-nil, Giotto would have no need to be on the bridge. There was probably a security office where he did his work.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was never a set Security Chief in TOS was there? I saw a bit of the start of the episode with Abraham Lincoln coming on board and there was a Security Chief presented to him, along with Scott and Spock.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Are there any cases in wich the Navigator fired weapons?

It seems that Chekov was the one doing the shooting at the end of ST6
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of the old TOS games by Interplay (25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites) where Sulu goes, "Raising shields!" and Chekov says, "Arming weapons (or maybe it was veapons)" at the touch of a key.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh, those were good games.

As for Ops in TOS, Communications seemed to serve a potentially similar purpose of organizing stuff going on across the ship.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I said TFF in my previous post, I of course meant to say TUC.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

mada101
Member # 1285

- posted      Profile for mada101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In TNG, the XO always seemed like an amalgamation of the TOS XO duties (runing the ship when the captain isn't present, giving direct command advice etc.), the yeoman's duties (organising personnel, assisting the captain in 'red tape' duties etc.), and some communications duties (stuff going on across the ship, damage reports etc.).

Obviously, Starfleet was streamlining the bridge operations of their ships, as evident with navigation becomeing an appartly computer-assisted job.

--------------------
'Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.'
- Henry Ford

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
There was never a set Security Chief in TOS was there? I saw a bit of the start of the episode with Abraham Lincoln coming on board and there was a Security Chief presented to him, along with Scott and Spock.

Umm, its only been said 2 or 3 times that there was a Security Chief in TOS.

Two, in fact, were specifically identified as such: Kelowitz and Giotto. However, they only appeared in the Season 1.

As far as TOS Navigators...in "The Corbomite Maneuver" Bailey was coordinating with battle drills and was even told by Kirk: "Mr. Bailey, lock phasers!".

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
which (as I know we've discussed before [Smile] ) doesn't jive with the episode, since Spock wore command colors and Mitchell wore operations colors.

Actually, it does jive with the episode. Unless the definition of "jive" has done a 180 degree turn when I haven't been looking.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still what has always bugged me is the lack of enlisted personel in Trek. The only two that I can remember with clarity are Chief DeFalco and of course Chief O'Brian. Does the Big-E have a Chief of the boat so to speak. Who does all the grunt work on the ships. There must be "ordinary seamen" in the ranks. If there is only officers on the ships, my goddess, the academy must mass produce them like Hondas. Opinions, comments?

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was Simon Tarsas, the medical technician from the E-D. But i would surmise that all those people in uniform without the rank pips are the enlisted (well most of them).

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddenberry was of the opinion that all the people in TOS were officers, wasn't he? Big silly man that he is.

There were several people identified in TNG as "crewman", and we can probably assume that they were enlisted.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps