Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » First Contact SCE DVD menu screens (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Contact SCE DVD menu screens
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Braga/Moore commentary track on this DVD is interesting, btw.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So have they made up then?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not entirely sure their supposed. . . I refuse to call it a break-up. This is silly.

Anyway, by all accounts yes, some time ago. They've got one on the Generations disc too, which I haven't heard, but which I recall one of our esteemed colleagues describing as remarkably insightful and self-critical.

They seem united in their dislike of "Assimilate this!"

I also thought that, after not having seen the film for awhile, some of the humor seemed a little forced. And it sure jumps into things quickly. Hey, the Borg are attacking. Hey, we destroyed them. Time travel!

Anyway, their commentary track is well worth a listen. They get into a fairly nuanced discussion of the future of the franchise, and what makes a Star Trek story a Star Trek story, and at one point Crisis on Infinite Earths gets brought up, though they cannot remember its name. I haven't listened to Frakes' yet.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also haven't seen it in a while, so please remind me when "assimilate this" was? I thought the Arnie line was Data's "Resistance...is futile!".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

When Worf blows up the part of the deflector that all those Borg are standing on. I'm pretty sure there's a T-shirt.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Oh yeah. Urgh.

Hang on, if the writers both hated it who put the line in? God?

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moore and Braga tried to blame Michael Dorn for that line actually but they couldn't be sure. I heard both of their audio commentaries in Generations and First Contact. It sounds like whatever happened between the two of them is either water under the bridge or a very well organized truce.

I've also watchted the text commentaries by the Okudas in both films and it was rather interesting about all the stuff they knew about the productions like how the Observation Lounge on the E-E is the same setup as the E-D but directly connected to the bridge.

As for the Generations audio comments, they kept making fun of Troi's driving, talked about how the audience acted with the original ending, and of course how Spiner hated cats in real life.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Original ending?
One that involves Kirk's head crushed like a rotten grapefruit, I hope.
Mabye one where collectors in the future dig up Kirk and sell his body parts on Ebay for latinum...

How can they blame Michael Dorn for the "Assimilate This!" line?
It's not as though he produced/wrote/directed/edited the movie.

Next thing you know they'll be blaming the fans for Enterprise's cancellealtion. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Specifically, they couldn't recall (or were perhaps just unwilling to say) who had written that line, or whether it might have been improvised. They aren't really blaming anybody. I mean, it is all in a jokey light atmosphere of gentle introspection.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentile instrospection?

Tell me about the original ending!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Yes, gtenlie spcenistornoit.

At one point in the Generations development process, Kirk died after Soren shot him in the back.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they filmed it. Soran shoots Kirk, then drops the phaser and stands there staring google-eyed at the Nexus, wheeupon Picard sneaks up, grabs the phaser and shoots him. All in all, a bit crap.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps