Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Data uses a contraction in 'Insurrection'.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Data uses a contraction in 'Insurrection'....
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Soong deliberatly but in some sort of mental programming block to prevent Data from using contractions? I never thought of that.

But then, considering Data made Lal, and she had no problems using contractions, you wonder why he couldn't have slightly altered his own programming.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Soong put a block to it?

Certainly these "forced inhumanity subroutines" had to be something more complex than single lines of code in the linguistics or body movement databases. They'd have to actively damp Data's efforts to learn and evolve. At times, Data might gain the upper hand, but then the programming would force him to regress again...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data did progress over time though, even before he got the emotion chip (although most of it was in the first couple of seasons). I wonder if he was actively trying to use contractions all that time, and those instances where he did were when he managed to successfully beat (or at least trick) his programming?

quote:
Lore said Soong had to make Data "less perfect" to satisfy the inhabitant's whining.
I'd take anything Lore said with a pinch of salt though. IIRC, Lore was implying that Data was physically less perfect. This was countered by Soong saying that they were virtually identical, apart from "a bit of programming." Which would tie into Lore's point, thinking about it, but in a different way.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I don't necessarily believe Lore, but Soong seemed to confirm the basics of what Lore was saying, albeit with an approach that would make Data feel better about himself.

He told Data, "The last thing you should think of yourself as is 'less perfect'." I always took that to mean, "Yes, what Lore's saying is true, but he's being a brat and you shouldn't think of it in that way."

The part Lore left out, though, is the fact that the colonists weren't so much jealous as the were terrified that Lore might do something like, oh, say... contact a giant space organism to wipe them all out, what with him being evil and all.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

i still want to know how the giant snowflake "rewarded" Lore for what he had done. Gave him free crushed ice the next time he had a party?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's always bugged me as well: if it was shown to be more intelligent, I'd think it might have altered/evolved Lore emotionally and Lore wanted more "treatments".

As to Data, It's possible that each time Data was seriously damaged or had to be "re-booted", all his emotional growth was lost.
Data was forcibly deactivated several times: mabye the core programming re-asserts itself each time (with his "growth" being effectivly de-fragged in the process).

It's also possible that Lore somehow fucked with Data's programming (when Lore replaced him in Datalore) to limit the potential threat he posed.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data's, uh, mother, does confirm that Data occasionally freaked everybody out, at least.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With his detachable penis.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone looked down to find it floating in their drink one too many times. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realise it was detahable. Perhaps that's why Yar looked so keen...

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered about that little hologram of her that he had, if he turned it upside down and shook it, did her clothes disappear?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, people in the 24th century are freaked out by anything from loud music to the color of Liam's hair, so whatever other "activities" Data liked to indulge himself in, they can hardly have been more shocking than those innocent sunday morning cyber-flashes.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before his modesty subroutine was added, Data walked around in the buff. Fatjo's speculation about Data's lack of modesty in "The Most Toys" was apparently incorrect.

From a production standpoint, does anyone know where they got the footage of Yar for the holographic doohickey Data had of her? I think it showed up in "The Measure of a Man" and "The Most Toys". Was it something they grabbed from existing footage, or did Crosby actually stand for it? I'm kind of guessing it was from the hologram during her funeral, but she seemed to just stand there and shift her weight for a little while without talking. I also seem to remember the hologram being seen froma number of angles.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's from Yar's holographic will/goodbye message.

It being in the stok footage shots in the (awful) Measure of a Man was just assinine.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps