Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Hindsight time - Excelsior vs. Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hindsight time - Excelsior vs. Enterprise
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why make the series about the Feds? I'd like to see a seies about a Klingon captain for once. Maybe a Qud class BOP during the Pacification War or something. Or maybe a female Romulan Tal-Shiar captain who has a thing for Klingon hookers. Interspecies Lesbian action.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As big of a Sulu fan as I am, I'd rather see an Enterprise-B series than an Excelsior series. You could completely remove every character from Generations if you wanted to, introduce a cast of unknown characters (maybe keep Demora in there, Harriman too if Ruckman is up to the task) and the series would still be set in that golden heyday giving us TOS movie tech and settings with the ability to show more.
Mind you, I'd probaly feel bad for the actors who would be wearing those gorgeous-but-heavy movie uniforms week after week.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why feel sorry for them? They can make money for the rest of their lives going to conventions and signing photos. "Yes, I was redshirted crewman #2 in that episode where I delivered my line of 'Aye, aye captain' with Shakespearean demeanor."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever been to a con with some no name as guest star?
I was commenting on it a few years back with some older guy that turned out to be Jeremy Brett (Boba Fett) nad he agreed, but it was just "weekend money".

Aaron Eisenberg (a gret guy to hang out with) walked through a show several times talking with me and no one else knew who he was....imagine the strangness of being one of those "red shirts".

I only knew Casey Biggs by his voice- he's got blonde hair offscreen. Also very cool to talk with though- that "Damar" voice is aawesome and really how he talks.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's definitely a lot to explore in the Sulu era. But we have to distinguish what fans would like to see and what the producers can and want to do. Much more than in Enterprise, the style of a Sulu series would have been predetermined, as would the basic setting of the series. I doubt that B&B or anyone of the creative staff would have seen the Sulu series as the challenge that Enterprise obviously was to them.

Well, the fourth season of Enterprise proves that exploring and explaining the known universe is a good (even redeeming) idea, but this was done only after preparing new ground in the preceding three seasons. I would have loved all of Enterprise to be like that, and I may have enjoyed a (short?) Sulu series along these lines too, but it doesn't have enough potential for seven seasons.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Why make the series about the Feds? I'd like to see a seies about a Klingon captain for once. Maybe a Qud class BOP during the Pacification War or something. Or maybe a female Romulan Tal-Shiar captain who has a thing for Klingon hookers. Interspecies Lesbian action.

Setting up a series that appeals primarially with a small, core/nitch audience may be a cool idea, but it won't have a broad enough appeal to pull in the viewers and ratings.

The majority of the people are going to watch a series they can relate to. Sadly, the majority of people aren't going to relate to Klingons or Romulans as the main cast.

This is the same reasoning why we here in the United States have programs that focus on Americans. We don't have any programminmg where Japanese or other foreign nationalities are the main focus of the cast. People are so myopic they can't identify or relate to anything that is too different from themselves.

This is the same reasoning why in Trek all the lead role captains have been human and why humans make up the majority of the cast/crew. It's also why the majority of the starships and plantes have been named after American ships, people or places with strong historic connections to our Anglo-Saxon/Roman/Greek heritage. It's what people know and understand. You name a ship "Gettysburg" and you don't have to explain it.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The series could always explain a few things, like Klingon History 101.

I always liked the Klingons way more than those wussy feds.

Fed Captain: "OOH AHH! I'm a big fat wussy! Let's go explore and make friends!

Klingon Captain: "Let's kill everybody and get drunk."

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If yuou ever had a friend like that, you'd know it gets old real fast. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The series could always explain a few things, like Klingon History 101.

I always liked the Klingons way more than those wussy feds.

Fed Captain: "OOH AHH! I'm a big fat wussy! Let's go explore and make friends!

But thats what Star Trek is about! At least to me it is. But beyond that, its about the human condition, and its a little hard to explore that if you don't even have humans. I'd much rather watch the same old show than a show thats not only the opposite of why I like Star Trek, but would compleatly alienate me as the viewer.

That and the make-up costs would be huge.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's be cool to see some dramatic moment from both sides.
They could do the Tomed Incident anthology i one season by focusing on the Romulans one week and the Feds the next- if done well, the viewers would grow to like characters from both sides (and hate some too!) and the season would build to one climatic battle- ending with most of the characters deaths and a bitter peace established in the final episode.

I'd love to see a Captain just say "enough" and retire at the season's end.

It would break the mold a bit and give a real culture to the Romulans- like how DS9 remade the Cardassians from TNG's lamest new aliens into Trek's most complex species.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would, indeed, be interesting.
Da_bang80
Member # 528

I like that idea. Instead of having a whole show dedicated to the crew of one starship, make a show about one ship exploring some wierd region of space that only the best treknobabble can explain. The nex week the show would have the crew of a warship fighting in a war. Then maybe a show about the commander of a starbase dealing with some catastrophe. Kinda like an anthology of short stories in Star Trek or something.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Er...more like the show "24" than that. Each season would be it's own contained story instead of week-to-week.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

You could set a season on DS9 and call it 26 [Big Grin]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's sooo sad that I got that joke immeadeately.

So sad.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps