Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Best Job Blowing up a Set? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Job Blowing up a Set?
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they'd reversed the shot or used a different angle then you would've been all "they thought they could fool us by using a different angle, how dare they insult our KBoP related intelligence!" [Wink]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(He makes a good point.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At leat there would have been the effort of deception.
I could respect that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, of course; I always respect people who make an effort to deceive me...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course you do:it's all about the skill involved and the effort applied.
All fiction (particularly sci-fi) is deception: the best of it makes you forget what you're seeing is not real.
The only diffrence between a great movie and the MST3K stuff is the effort applied.

But thats' the same diffrence between a master magician and a cheap coin trick.

Besides, anything new beats nothing- and they gave us nothing new in that scene.
I dont mind the 80% re-used footage in WYLB because there is new stuff sprinkled in and creative editing of the old stuff to spice things up.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you look at the WYLB sequences, the old stuff was all clumped together at the top or bottom of a given scene - it seems they were simply short of footage at places and built up the missing time with extras. Not TOO much effort went into it, except for doing stuff like reversing the "Generations" footage of some Klingon getting blown over a console, to make it look instead that he was getting SUCKED out of the same Vor'cha that got rammed by a bunch of battlebugs in the previous year's finale.

Speaking of which, the blowing up of the BoP bridge in "Generations" was pretty good... Though we don't really see the results.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doo-ball post!
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingon getting sucked out is not reversed. That same shot is used in both "Undiscovered Country" and "Generations." The whole sequence of shots of Klingons in a ship going up in flames is exactly the same from instance to instance.

Granted, the Klingon getting sucked feet first is a great bit of effects work, since he moves laterally and isn't really falling or launching (or at least doesn't appear to be doing either) and I would certainly be tempted to use it again.

I can forgive DS9 for making use of such footage many years after its original use and on their type of budget. I cannot forgive "Generations" for using it one movie later and had a comparable budget.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the reuse of footage can be explained... it's due to the Wormhole Aliens/Prophets.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps