Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG "Legacy" speculations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TNG "Legacy" speculations
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as we have DVDs now - wasn't there some sort of tiny ship seen in Legacy entering the planet's atmosphere?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard is hardly the cloak-and-daggery type S31 wants.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to qualify that. He seems quite adept at the "dress up in nice black ninja pyjamas and infiltrate Cardassian biogenic weapons labs" cloaks-and-daggery bits, but less so at the sneaky, underhand, moral-grey-area "developing a cloaking device when they're actually banned" cloak-and-daggery bits.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which seems to be exactly the type of stuff Section 31 excels... [Smile]

Unless Section 31 in 2350s was gentler, kindler, "your mission, should you choose to accept it"-like, and not "let's develop a biogenic weapon guys!"-like [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the ship that was seen at the beginning of Legacy was the one that crashed. We only see it for a second and it's very small. I think it's been stated by someone on the staff of the show that it was just something existing they used, nothing new. Possibly the same ship design that beamed sexy terrorist girl off the Ent D in "Starship Mine".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Picard was had a skill that Section 31 could use, I see no reason why they wouldn't try and use him.

Bashir was tested, and despit his moral attitude, he was accepted (he didn't join them, but it isn't the sort of thing where you post them a copy of your CV and wait for them to get back to you).

What I'm getting at, is that S31 finds the right person for the job, recruits them and tells them only what they need to know, and that the very fate of the federation is relying on them succeding. If JLP was working for them, he may never have found out about the full extent of their nasty plans. There is also the fact that they used people, in the same way they used Bashir in Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges.

And don't forget, Sloan was not the only S31 agent - there could have been other recruiters who were better at the job than him.

But, even though I don't buy JLP ever being in S31, it's a neat idea.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys are trying to stretch S31 too far out. There is a Starfleet Intelligence division that could handle the *legal* cloak-and-dagger stuff. S31 was created to do things "by any means necessary". That being said, I'm not sure I could even picture Picard doing things for Starfleet Intelligence that he couldn't talk about, but it's another possibility.

B.J.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he did something (or over 22-odd years somethings) on the Stargazer that secured him command of the next Enterprise and there just wasn't one ready for him when the Stargazer was lost. He need not have been doing anything special between the two.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, but you can't just be sitting on your butt for 8 years, then boom, be captain of the flagship.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he likely would have been doing something, but it need not be something so amazing that it landed him the flagship.

He may have spent some of the time getting to know the Galaxy class and the Enterprise itself. The ship (according to the Technical Manual) left drydock for the first time in 2358 for its first tests and the Galaxy two years before that.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

"All Good Things" establishes that Picard had never been on the ship before arriving to take command.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Does it rule out time spent on the Galaxy? It seems like a realy bad idea to give command of one of Starfleet's newest ships to someone who knows next to nothing about them.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard did say he hadn't stepped foot on a Galaxy before, but he also said he's familiar with the blueprints and the specs.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

JupiterStation
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Picard was doing some kinda of diplomatic "trouble shooting" job, kinda going all over the Federation and such, helping to establish good relations with first contact civilizations,putting out fires in diplomacy hot spots. That sort of position would have him traveling on various starships, and would explain his image as diplomat and skilled negotiator. As well as gaining favor with the Admiralty [Wink]

Kinda like what Kirk was doing in one of those Original series novels about the years after the first five year mission, but before the V'ger...

IP: Logged
RLF
Member # 1396

- posted      Profile for RLF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Picard going from "rustbucket" Stargazer to "look at the shine on this here flagship" Enterprise.

While Picard did make a wry comment to Scotty about his old command being "old and underpowered," the reactions of his officers when boarding USS Stargazer is rather telling. Most of them seemed to respect the ship and its place in history. LaForge was deep in awe-struck hero-worship territory. Not the responses of people who are unimpressed with some obsolete hulk.

It is possible that Picard's achievements commanding USS Stargazer at least put him on the list of possible captains for a Galaxy-class starship. If nothing else, his record made it clear that he could keep a crew functioning over a long period in deep space.

Re: What Picard was up to between starships.

Well, he seemed very familiar with Klingon culture, language, and politics towards the middle of TNG's run. Maybe he spent a little time in the Empire?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps