Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Top 10 Star Trek: TNG Episodes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top 10 Star Trek: TNG Episodes
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jammer has started reviewing Star Trek: The Next Generation, and while I�m unwilling to review the entire series, I thought I�d brainstorm my ten favorite episodes. So, without further adieu, and in order by airdate �

�The Arsenal of Freedom�

Split into three groups, the main characters must deal with an ever increasingly dangerous situation � a highly adaptable weapon program that eliminated a planet�s population, and now threatens two landing parties on the planet, and the Enterprise in orbit. Geordi LaForge has always been my favorite character, and seeing him forced to make the tough decisions he does in this episode are great.

�Peak Performance�

War games go bad! Riker�s in command of an old starship in simulated battle drills against the Enterprise. Onboard the Enterprise, Picard has to deal with a (supposedly) Federation expert � a Zakdorn tactical genius, whose first instinct is to cut and run when a curious Ferengi mistakes the war simulation for an attempt to retrieve something valuable from Riker�s older, undergunned ship.

�Booby Trap�

I�ve mentioned I�ve always been a LaForge fan, and this is a great character episode for him. After encountering an ancient battleship adrift in an asteroid field, the Enterprise finds itself caught in an energy-dampening field � the same booby trap that doomed the battleship. Stuck for ideas on how to escape � and with time, of course, running out � LaForge uses the computer�s database on the Enterprise�s engine designer, Dr. Leah Brahms, to work out a solution on the holodeck. There�s a great throw-away conversation about building �ships in bottles� early in the episode. There�s also a sequel to the episode � the fourth season�s decent �Galaxy�s Child�.

�The Defector�

The third season�s standout episode � and that�s saying a lot for a season with such a strong showing (it took effort to limit my �top ten� list to only FOUR from the third season). War between the Federation and the Romulans seem imminent after a high-ranking defector brings word of the construction of a secret outpost in the neutral zone � a violation of treaty, and a perfect launching pad for invasion. Strong Shakespearean overtones across the episode, an excellent performance by Andreas Katsulas and Patrick Stewart in probably the most riveting dialogue ever on the show, and at the end, a brief, lasting hope for peace and prosperity. I probably consider this my favorite episode of the series.

�The High Ground�

On a humanitarian mission, Dr. Crusher is kidnapped by a terrorist cell who requires her services to heal their wounded � they�ve developed a type of transporter that is very dangerous after prolonged useage. The ballsy terrorists even attempt to destroy the Enterprise in an effort to force the Federation to mediate their conflict. Strong parallels are made between Great Britain and the IRA � which is, I presume, why the episode was banned from airing in the United Kingdon.

�The Tin Man�

This episode isn�t just on my list because when I was in elementary school, my best-friend�s father co-wrote it. The discovery of a living spaceship in disputed space sparks a race between the Federation and the Romulans to establish first contact (hah - he also co-wrote that fourth season episode). Adding gasoline to the fire is a dangerously unstable Betazoid (who was once Troi�s patient) brought aboard to help establish contact. A �neato!� moment includes meeting Riker�s previous captain, aboard the Hood.

�The Wounded�

The fourth season episode which introduced the Cardassians, it also provided the first in-depth look at Miles O�Brian, previously just the Irish guy at the transporter console. I�m a huge fan of Deep Space Nine, and this is a show that provides a lot of background information on both O�Brien and the Federation/Cardassian conflict. More than that, it�s a tale of two war veterans, both scarred by their experiences, fundementally changed by the horrors they�ve witnessed, until it overtakes the one. O�Brian�s line to a Cardassian in Ten Foreward says it all: �It�s not you I hate, Cardassian � it�s what I became, because of you.�

�Clues�

The crew � with the exception of the android Data � awakens seconds after being knocked unconcious when the ship travels through a wormhole. However, evidence begins to mount (in the form of �clues�) that they were asleep for a lot longer than thirty seconds, and that Data is lying to them � even more disturbing is who gave Data the order to lie.

�Second Chances�

There�s one particularly bad episode of the second season titled �Up The Long Ladder�, where the Enterprise encounters a civilization of clones who require fresh DNA to keep from expiring. When asked if he will allow a clone to be made of himself, Riker launches into a tirade about the uniqueness of one Will Riker, then questions, if there would be more than one � wouldn�t Will Riker lose something? So flash forward four years and learn that indeed, there does exist another William T. Riker, courtesy of a transporter accident. It�s pretty neat comparing the �seasoned� Commander Riker we�ve known for the last six years contrasted with Lieutenant Riker, who is still very much the man he was when he was first stranded eight years prior. I sometimes think the show would�ve been a lot more interesting if the producers had stuck to their guns � originally, Commander Riker was going to die, and Lt. Riker would�ve been drafted to take his place as Ops Manager. It would�ve given the character a whole new life.

�Timescape�

Returning to the Enterprise, Picard, Data, LaForge and Troi are surprised to find it stuck in time, and that while in the middle of a battle with a Romulan warship! It turns out that not everything is as it seems, but there�s a mystery to unravel from the characters� perspective as they board both ships to determine why a Romulan officer is at the Enterprise�s helm, and if there�s anything they can do to stop Beverly Crusher from being distruptored to death by a Romulan in sickbay.

If I were to expand this list to my top twenty favorite episodes, here would be my favorite episodes number 11-20:

Conspiracy � Aliens attempt a takeover of Starfleet Command by crawling through officers� ears. Creepy.
The Measure of a Man � Is Data alive, or is he the property of Starfleet? Picard and Riker face off in a court-room to make that determination, with Guinan making the chilling revelation that Riker�s success in prosecuting Starfleet�s arguement could give rise to a race of android slaves.
The Enemy � �Enemy Mine� with Geordi LaForge and a stranded Romulan. Meanwhile, the Romulans want their officer back and are willing to provoke a war to get him. This episode introduces Andreas Katsulas as the Romulan Commander Tomalak.
Yesterday�s Enterprise � An alternate view of the future, where the Federation is losing a war against the Klingons. Tasha Yar lives, but billions have died, and the Enterprise is a warship.
Family � De-Borgified, Picard returns to his family home in France to recuperate and mend relations with his brother.
Drumhead � Sabotauge aboard the Enterprise leads a paranoid, conspiracy-hunting Admiral to lead a witchhunt against Capt. Picard.
Conundrum � Aliens wipe the memories of the crew in an attempt to gain access to the superior technology of the Enterprise and use it to end their long war.
Cause & Effect � Caught in a time loop, the Enterprise blows up again and again. Caught in a time loop, the Enterprise blows up again and again. Caught in a time loop, the Enterprise blows up again and again.
The Inner Light � Picard is affected by an alien probe which enables him to live a life on a doomed planet. Plus, it teaches him how to play the flute.
Tapestry � Picard meets God. God is Q. Picard is not amused.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't argue your choices. Good episodes, all. Not neccessarily my top ten, but *shrug*. It's a matter of personal preference. I am going to pick two very small nits, however.

"Adieu" means "goodbye" en fran�ais. The word you're looking for is "ado".

Episode titles: It's "Tin Man", not "The Tin Man".

Looking forward to your next ten. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You invalidate your choices with �The Arsenal of Freedom�
Sorry, but any episode where the crew is imperilled by a L'Eggs nylons contianer is just.....out.
Just for shits (and because i'm waiting for chinese food to get delivered and watch rented Farscape episodes), I'll review your choices.
I'm an ass that way, I know

�Peak Performance� Good overall- I was disapointed in Picard's lack of understanding the war-games' purpose.

�Booby Trap�-
I�ve never been a LaForge fan, and while this does establish his character beyond the "bling guy but now really" routine, it also starts Geordi's track record of questionable choices and blunders that would kill his career if they became public knowledge.
Overall a nice episode- moreso because it establishes Picard's intret in aincent cultures and his zeal for "the good old days of exploration".

�The Defector�: Hell of a great episode- solid performances from all involved and Tomalok's threat to display the gutted Enterprise on Romulus is classic. This should be in any TNG fan's top ten.

�The High Ground�- intresting only in retrospect- I thought the episode fairly boring (and the Federation should have never been involved in any way). I doubt an episode with such sympathetic leanings towards terrorism would or coldbe made today. Aside from that, it's "Meh". The contuation of their trying to do "showcase" episodes focusing on a particular crewmember...and usually making a blase' episode as the result.

�The Tin Man�- not a bad episode- once again, Starfleet entrusts the fate of the crew/ship/galaxy to someone with a bad track record nad mental problems. It would have been a lot better with a stronger lead actor- not that whiney guy.
quote:
A �neato!� moment includes meeting Riker�s previous captain, aboard the Hood.
Indeed a "Neato!" moment.

�The Wounded�- I love this episode to death- it's great. I'd have preferred to see a whole crew on the Phionex (or at least a bridge), but at least we got a new class out of it.
And Cardassians!

�Clues�- I really liked this episode, and they so rarely show it on reruns for some reason.
A great "Data episode"- one of the best, really.

�Second Chances�-Holy shit. This is the very abyss of Star Trek. Far worse that Voyager's Threshold. The corniest cliche' since the "Evil Twin" set-up. What's worse, TNG never mentions it again, and it's up to DS9 to (sorta) tie up the loose ends and make the "Thomas" character believable.

�Timescape�- not bad- another "mystery" episode. THe only goofy parts are the Runabout with a dining rom at the rear (C'mon, who thought that shit up?) and Picard touching a plasma leak without losing his hand..

All of your "expanded list" beat out your top ten IMHO.

I leave you now...to boldly find out...Where the FUCK my chinese food is!
cue TNG music

[ March 04, 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate it. It was tasty.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you sir- you're the one that got my missing shrimp roll!

Seriously: I got jipped.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A runabout with facilities for passengers totally breaks your suspension of disbelief?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

One wherein the entire aft compartment is one big dining room does, yeah.
If it had been a few years later, it would have come equiped with a Emergency Holographic Waiter.

I did like their having to match the Enterprise's rate of relative tumble, though I'm not convinced a Runabout can really fit in the main shuttlebay.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Mixing up episodes, there.. Matching tumble was from "Genesis. The Enterprise was 'frozen' in "Timescape". As for the aft compartment... There's a couch across the aft bulkhead, a table for four, a computer station, a replicator, and four bunks. Seems like an appropriate layout to me. What else wouldyou demand in a semi-autonomous vessel?

Oh, and it easily fits in the main shuttleba.

And one last tidbit. I know it was never named, but I like to think of it as the Rh�ne.

--Jonah

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entire aft compartment of the Runabouts are modular and swappable. This module happened to be designed for VIP transfers. It also had quarters for sleeping.

Second Chances was FAR FAR FAR superior to Threshold or any other episode ini Voyager's "Trilogy of Terror."

His episode list is not bad. I agree with being confused over adding Arsenal of Freedom. Half of it is pretty good, but the threat from a L'eggs module was laughable. I also agree that the expanded list has more stronger episodes than his top 10.

My Top 10 TNG episodes would be:

1. Best of Both Worlds (pts 1 & 2)
2. All Good Things
3. Yesterday's Enterprise
4. Inner Light
5. Too Short a Season
6. The Emissary
7. The Mind's Eye
8. The Drumhead
9. Chain of Command (pts 1 & 2)
10. Relics

Really, it's hard to pick without more thinking. TNG really hit its stride during the last three seasons.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I agree with being confused over adding Arsenal of Freedom. Half of it is pretty good, but the threat from a L'eggs module was laughable."

So, I gather that the real problem here is that they told you what it was made out of. If the effects department had just kept their mouths shut, everything would have been fine?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Well, being a modeller and kit-baser and prop-builder of some experience, Iwhen I found out what they'd used, I said "hey, that was pretty clever". I saw the episode when it first aired, so I had no idea what was used for that shot until some time later. Maybe that helped, too.

I can't just pick a top ten, or even a top twenty. My first pass yielded a top thirty-seven list. [Smile] I'm sure I can pare it further. But even then, I have four categories: wonderful episodes, with only a couple minor nits; otherwise good eisodes that suffered from at least one major plot oversight or writing gaffe; good premises badly executed; and absolute travesties. Yes, there are more episodes than "Shades of Gray" in that last category.

--Jonah

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's just that the concept didn't translate as well as it could have.

Putting the episode in it's time frame as being early TNG, I liked it. Looking back, however, from over a decade later, it seems the episode was shot in a small, confined space (which it was), and the contraints of budget hurt.

I'm fine with the model itself, it's just the way the whole event played out. Doesn't seem near as threatening as the crew acts like it is.

And Geordi telling the engineer off and taking command of the battle section... that whole scene and set-up seems a bit awkward now in hindsight.

It's not a bad episode. It just doesn't live up to its potential.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's only the (never seen) middle sections that are modular units according to the DS9 Technical Manual, isn't it?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes- though you'd think there would be a better use of space in the rear compartment than "giant dining room", but that's mostly a result of their need to have the cameras pan around the table during the first ten minutes of the episode.

I doubt DS9's Runabouts have the same configuration.
quote:
Putting the episode in it's time frame as being early TNG, I liked it. Looking back, however, from over a decade later, it seems the episode was shot in a small, confined space (which it was), and the contraints of budget hurt.
Yeah. the "obvious soundstage" for every planet in first season hurts far worse than on TOS- it's twenty years later, but the sets are just as bad.

My gripe with the L'Eggs container (aside from knowing what it was made from at first sight) was that it's so....tiny.
Nothing that small should have been so formidible as to threaten the Galaxy class, and certainly it could not have had an internal power supply.

It also brings up the notion of weither slavaging alien tech constutes a Prime Directive offense. If not, Sarfleet really should have seized that world before anyone else got their hands on all the goodies left behind and started making gigantic L'Eggs robots.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidentally, since we're discussing this episode, during the Academy Awards tonight, when they did their montage of people who had died over the past year, Vincent Schiavelli was among them.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps