Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS-E: "Miri" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TOS-E: "Miri"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what's going on, but it's on now for me. Will post comments. [Smile] So far:

-Yes, the movements are more smooth. But the CG shots are not distracting at all.

-No enhanced bridge effects AFAIK.

-The shots we've seen of the Enterprise over Earth are in fact of the Enterprise over Miri's world.

-They are keeping the original opening credits showing just Shatner ans Nimoy at this juncture.

-It's in 4x3 as suspected.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-The cleaned up picture does look fantastic. The definition does have downsides, though, as some of the disease appliances look really glued on.

-They have a "closed captioning provided by" bumper, showing the new CG model firing a torpedo.

-There is no indication in the titles or otherwise that these are "enhanced" episodes.

-So far anyway there is no enhancemet of the planetside cityscapes, etc.. Probably won't be thie time out.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

-The phaser effect when Kirk stuns the chick is new & blue. Is the sound effect new too? It certianly wasn't the standard electronic whine, but this early on in the first season they hadn't yet settled on the final effect.

-One noticable consequence of re-doing the effects is shown in this episode: when we come back from each commercial break, the Enterprise is orbiting over a DIFFERENT part of Miri's world, and not the same shot over and over again.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

-The effect of Bones' diseased bit vanishing seems to have been touched up, instead of simply fading from one stage to another.

-No new warp effects - just the usual speeding off.

-Aside from cleaning it up, the end credits haven't changed at all. They added a modern Paramount graphic slide afterward, but that's it.

-No big complaints about this concept. My only question mark is why they decided to do "Miri" as part of the initial batch - it was hardly one of the stronger episodes. Methinks that they were behind on getting "Balance of Terror" done due to the number of shots to be done.

-Will I watch every new episode? Probably only the "big FX" ones, for me. This really wasn't a good example of what could be done, since so few new FX were needed in this one. I'll wait or "BoT" before calling it worthwhile, though.

Mark

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miri was early first season. Are they restoring the episodes in season order?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The various press releases seemed to suggest that they were doing the popular ones first, though I'm not sure who this episode is popular with. It isn't the worst TOS episode featuring children, at least. (Actually, I don't think I've ever seen "And The Children Shall Lead Them.")

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their project was taking longer than expected, because they can't have been doing too much work on it before announcing it, and they just announced it a month ago. It seemed like an awfully ambitious schedule to me.

(My favorite thing in this episode is the way McCoy spins that tricycle wheel.)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked and it seems that both "Balance of Terror" and "Miri" are done, and some markets are showing both of them this weekend, and others are splitting them up over two weeks.

In fact, here's the schedule.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I just checked and it seems that both "Balance of Terror" and "Miri" are done, and some markets are showing both of them this weekend, and others are splitting them up over two weeks.

In fact, here's the schedule.

i guess this is what happens when you move, gain limited access to the net and loose touch overall...

someone wanna give me cliff notes on WHAT your discussing? i'm in port for at least a couple weeks so i suppose i can look back here, curious minded...

MOO. [Big Grin]

Edit: reads more.

Oh. Remasters. does this mean they reshot battle scenes now? like say, how they battled the Doomsday machine or M-5? like remaster so i can master.... hmm.... [Big Grin] ?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Balance of Terror!
I guess I missed Miri (but that one sucks anyway).

It was really very good with a couple of exceptions:

The good:
Enhanced picture is great to see- everything is crystal clear and I noticed many intresting lighting techniques for this episode- like them shading all of Kirk's face exceept for his eyes in a kind of "reverse racoon" pattern.

The GREAT: the new Enterprise shots are so good and generally match the original's shots...except for when the ship gets nailed by that "debris nuke"- then the ship is listing badly.
The RBOP is very VERY nice- an exact replica of the original (no matching the one Eaves made) except in one shot where you can see various hull panels in a sort of checkerboard pattern (not quite the "aztec" of a federation starship, but the general look is close).
The plasma weapon is new and looks much better- a big red ball of flame.

Disapointing:

No new computer screen shots- we're forced to look at the horribly dated cardboard diagram of the Neutral Zone and it really does not match the crispness (newness?) of the show.
The RBOP just "fizzles" into cloak (like the original version) when the pattented cloaking effect would have been much better.
No new background for the outpost's interior we see- the commander still looks to be hailing from a broom closet.
The phasers still look and act like torpedos- bright blue blobs from vaguely the correct spot that (somehow) blow up into big blue coronas of light as they sweep the area for the RBOP.

Nothing to say it's new or improved at all! NOTHING! If they'd announce it was the NEW version, people would watch- as it stands, most will tune it out as "the same old thing".

The timeslot sucked ass- 6AM on what is the WB for one more week- nothing known after that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The phasers still look and act like torpedos- bright blue blobs from vaguely the correct spot that (somehow) blow up into big blue coronas of light as they sweep the area for the RBOP.

I readon the ST site that they did consider fixes for this sequence but ultimately just went with enlarged beams (something about "Proximity Phasers")

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Nothing to say it's new or improved at all! NOTHING! If they'd announce it was the NEW version, people would watch- as it stands, most will tune it out as "the same old thing".

The timeslot sucked ass- 6AM on what is the WB for one more week- nothing known after that.

That's the fault of your local channel, not UPN. [Razz]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these going to be... err... on the net?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Legally, no. Illegaly, what isn't?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked for the episode on a bunch of torrents, but found nada.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Miri played here, but Balance of Terror did. I enjoyed it. I was surprised how little was different considering the industry mindset. There are a few things I might have done differently, but I can understand the dicisions they made.

Only real problem is the way the effect for the engine is done. Its a little too bright and fakey.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I also saw "Balance of Terror," and aside from the uncomfortable realization that maybe the episode doesn't actually make much sense, the updating seems lukewarm. I mean, they've changed it, so purists (like me occasionally I guess) won't be happy, but then they haven't actually changed enough of it to update anything. So it's a thin coat of gloss, is all, which, OK, fine I guess.

One thing this highlights is how the polygon count of your models takes a backseat to how you direct them. The technology of the time meant that effects shots needed to be static, in all sorts of ways. (Only ever seeing one side of the ship, for instance.) And now they've updated the look, but not the style, so the show still feels of its era.

I thought it would be neat to see Enterprise-level effects in a TOS context, but the shows aren't put together in such a way as to support cutting to elaborate effects shots. One would have to either make them longer, warping the act structure and thus fundamentally changing them, or cut existing interior stuff out which would be terrible, if only from an internal integrity point of view.

To sum up: not enough changed to make you angry, and not enough changed to make you excited. (Well, assuming you = me.)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps