Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS-E: "Miri" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TOS-E: "Miri"
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing this argument and I'm simply not convinced. Even if it has validity, the fact that HD will only make the CGI more blatantly obvious seems to cancel out any benefit for me. If I could see what the original effects looked like in HD then perhaps my opinion might be slightly mitigated, but it seems that we won't have that opportunity.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

The timeslot sucked ass- 6AM on what is the WB for one more week- nothing known after that.

You think that sucks? I'll trade you: The New York affiliate has it scheduled for 3:35AM, but thanks to late-night schedule shuffling due to the previous evening's football game running long, they ran it early, so that anyone tuning in or starting recording at the proper time was treated to the last 10 minutes of BoT and 40 minutes of "Access Hollywood".

Arrrrrgggggggghhhhhh! [Mad]

--------------------
Old jedi never die...
The just fade in and out.

emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Thus, the whole idea is to preserve the original as much as possible. We'll never see huge sweeping changes to the makeup or blocking of VFX shots. The doomsday machine will still look like a half-smoked joint, but it'll move smoother. The four other Connies in the wargames will bear correct registrations, but will move in the same formations. That's what they're trying to do in the first place, and with few exceptions and dramatic liberties, that's all we'll get.

That's mostly the case, but there was some implication in the interview on StarTrek.com that there may be some small additions, like (perhaps) the Antares in "Charlie X". But we'll just have to wait to see if that pans out.

--------------------
Old jedi never die...
The just fade in and out.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I agree about the nacelle caps - they sort of stand out and look CGI-ish - they can SO do better than that now-a-days.

That's just looking at those caps though - I wonder if they will show these in Australia!?!

Andrew

The ship actually looks much more like a model than the Defiant did on Enterpeise.
The end caps look spot-on to me.

As to VFX, I really had to watch close during the first Enterprise shots to make certain it was the new version I was watching (not having seen BoT in several years).

As to "not making everyone happy", I'm happy with TOS for probably the first time since childhood- it looks great and not overly re-done (nit-picks about old screen graphics aside).

The real test for me will not be Doomsday Machine or Ultimate computer, but will be Arena and Journey to babel where they had no "bad guy" ship due to bugetary constraints and just used a glowy effect.
I want to see a Gorn ship! An Orion ship too!
quote:
To sum up: I am totally against an update, but I feel just as strongly that if it's going to be done it shouldn't be lukewarm and half-assed.
Mim! WATCH it first, then bitch about it!
The new version of BoT was neither un-needed or half-assed.
More than anything else, they really cleaned up the original footage with this version and it looks amazing- as clean as the restored and added stuff in DS9.
For probabaly the first time, TOS looks like it could be part of the TNG and DS9 universes and not just some cheesy 60's show with the same name.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
No, the plan is to sell the HD (or Blu-Ray? or both?) versions.

How do you know? I haven't read anything about *any* release of these new episodes.
But I'd *suspect* that they would release the new version in as many formats as possible in order to maximise sales.

Mim: You may not care about the silent majority, but "they" do. They've probably decided that they've exhausted selling TOS to purists and uping the quality in order to create a selling point for a re-release.
Demographically, they probably figure that they will gain a larger audience than what they'd lose by this update and they're probably right.

Heck, even with the Star Wars Special Edition thing (where they re-did the effects, released once, then re-leased the original without the new effects) they probably sold more by releasing in this order because more ended up buying both than being turned off altogether.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I would probably change is the lighting temperature. The new effects shots look 'warmer' than the old ones did. The following is about 10 minutes of work in Photoshop, and also includes an attempt to make the self-illuminated surfaces look more like they used to. Its not a great job, but it gets the idea across.

-

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, nice job, Boh. I certainly prefer the original warmer colour, which might also imply subtly different paint colour to that seen later. The pictures of the redone episodes I've seen suggest that the Enterprise is a dark battleship grey, which doens't jibe even with the Defiant from Enterprise, which itself was a much brighter, better colour.

I haven't seen any of the episodes (obviously, as I'm a member of a second class market) but based on comments people have made about the Bird of Prey episode combined with the apparently unfavourable scheduling choices, it makes me wonder if this initial screening is not simply to test the waters. If the first feedback is good, perhaps there will be a future advertising campaign and better scheduling. Does that sound likely?

btw can people try to cut down on the use of three letter acronyms to describe the less obvious references, please? By all means, use the obvious, universally recognisable ones like TOS or any of the series names, but I had real trouble figuring out what BoT was before someone mentioned the full title in their post, despite the Bird of Prey references (sorry, I can't call the Bird of Prey a "bop". It looks silly, but perhaps that's just a British thing). In the end I had to check the episode listings on Jammer's Reviews just to be sure.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about other stations, but this week its moving to 6PM on Saturday on CW11/KSTW in Seattle.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did the man just say about acronyms?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Station call letters don't stand for anything.)

quote:
Moving on this afternoon, here's something else that's very cool from Comic-Con. File this as Rumor Mill-worthy, but I learned while down in San Diego that not only is Paramount working to release The Ultimate Star Trek Movie Collection in high-definition on HD-DVD and (possibly) Blu-ray Disc... the studio is quietly remastering all 79 episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series for eventual high-def disc release as well. Paramount also has sparkling high-def masters of all 4 seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise to release on disc.
From here.

Now, however, I was fairly certain that this information was in all the press releases too, and apparently it isn't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was somehow able to attain a copy of the enhaced version of Balance of Teror and I must say I enjoyed it. I was actually more pleased with the crisp image quality of the original live action scenes than the CGI scenes, though they weren't bad either. I did note that the Bird of Prey seemed more "bulbous" than I remembered.

Also while surfing YouTube I found this.
Not for the faint of heart, especially with the sound on.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stupid chills me just as much as the original videos did. Maybe more because that's the worst music ever. EVER. Simon will back me up on this.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had to watch that clip with the music off- i particularly hate how the sratships and planetkillers "rev-up" to move forward quickly...(shudder).
Still, if the CGI was used with an art director withsome sense, it could be cool.

Er....without Elvis, for fuck's sake.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I especially like it when one of the Connies' deflector dish moves. I also find it interesting that the Guardian of Forever is big enough to have a Connie fly through it. Seriously, did they even watch an episode of Star Trek when they did this?
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Connie at the beginning that looks like it's ice skating.

The moving deflector dish actually seems like a good idea to me though. I mean, if you're constantly going to use it as a weapon to fire deus ex machina beams at everything, it might as well be pointed in the right direction.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps