Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS: Space Seed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS: Space Seed
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this a couple of days back- the new Botany Bay is decidely cool (as is the toned-down Enterprie) and looks a tad smaller than it's original form.

It could have just been the early hour (6 a.m.!) but I did not see anything else added in (no Checkov in the background for example).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Space Seed wasn't really a special effects filled episode, so I can understand why only the space scenes were changed. And speaking of space scenes, kudos to the remastered people for the Botany Bay. It looked really weathered. I wonder if anyone ever went back to retrieve it though. It would have made a nice Starfleet Museum piece.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er,,,I thought the ship landed (or most of it anyhow) to establish the colony's first buildings/living quarters.
Chekov does find part of the intact hull after all...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those were cargo carriers and according to Okuda's trivia track on the DVD they're the same ones seen being hauled about by workbees and stacked in the Ent's cargo bay in TMP, so they're probably Starfleet issue. Which explains where some of their supplies came from, specifically Khan's "Starfleet" medallion and possibly where he got the Big Bumper Book of Klingon Proverbs (Junior Illustrated Edition.)

Plus I don't think that thing could have made a sucessful planet fall without burning up.
Well, re-entry maybe, but it would have to have been a chute & airbag assisted splashdown, rememebr this thing is supposed to be 1996 technology.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...1996 technology like manned interplanetary travel, cryogenics and artificial gravity!

Agreed that those containers probably came from the Enterprise, even if they look somewhat bigger than their TMP equivalents. The belt buckle that cues Chekov, though... Why did Khan take that with him when ditching his ship? One would have to assume that Khan beamed across some stuff when taking over the Enterprise, perhaps weapons (although those would be primitive) or mementos from his Princely days.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I always figyred the DY-100's cargo pods would make planetfall -much like lifeboats do- and then be made of a modular construction so as to be the framework for the colony's first structures.
The ship's stardrive is probably not salvaged, but it's power plant probably is.

With regards to the starfleet stuff Kahn's crew had, much of it was probabaly donated by the Enterprise to suppliment the Botany Bay's meager provisions: rations, medical supplies etc.
Kahn's 'lil chickadee would have brought her library (tapes) with her (explaining Kahn's knowing Klingon rip-offs from earth culture).

I always wondered how many of Reliant's crew perished on Ceti Alpha 3...consider that Kahn's ship was only made for about 90 super-bozos- Reliant likely had a crew of three times that number.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I always wondered how many of Reliant's crew perished on Ceti Alpha 3...

"THIS is Ceti Alpha Five!!!!"
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very glad to see the Botany Bay got some proper visible propulsion units. It's hard enough to make this 1990s tech, even without magical invisible rockets like the original model has.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I always wondered how many of Reliant's crew perished on Ceti Alpha 5...
L.A.Graf say "All of them". My bet would be "Two redshirts"; Starfleeters aren't incompetents, at least if there are no heroes nearby who have to be made to look good in comparison.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
...1996 technology like manned interplanetary travel, cryogenics and artificial gravity!

Good point, though that last one might also apply to the 20th Century cryosatellite from TNG.
Mind you, Khan and the rest of the "Augments" were supposed to be as intelligent as they they were strong, so it's not much of a leap that they made advances in cryogenics, deep space propulsion, life support systems and aeronautics (along with, I imagine some rather nasty weapons) that were either lost in the war or classified and intentionally buried by the various governments that defeated them.
But that's straying into conjecture.

quote:
I always figyred the DY-100's cargo pods would make planetfall -much like lifeboats do- and then be made of a modular construction so as to be the framework for the colony's first structures.
The ship's stardrive is probably not salvaged, but it's power plant probably is.

Certainly possible, though they don't look designed for the task. My pet theory would be that one of the pods had a small disassembled shuttle that they planned to reassemble in orbit of whatever planet they planned to settle on, leaving the rest of the ship as an satellite/outpost.
But again I stray into speculation.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may email pics of the New BB to me if you wish [Big Grin]

[email protected]

me would love to see a pic or two...

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shots from the latest remastered episode are as always on Trekmovie.com

http://trekmovie.com/2006/11/19/space-seed-remastered-fx-video/

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly possible, though they don't look designed for the task. My pet theory would be that one of the pods had a small disassembled shuttle that they planned to reassemble in orbit of whatever planet they planned to settle on, leaving the rest of the ship as an satellite/outpost.
But again I stray into speculation.

An orbital station is an intresting notion...maybe the "stem" of the ship served as both weather and communications satellite.

From my ship-design POV, the bulky cargo pod things open up to reveal the ship's re-entry landers (holding the framework for the colony) much like storm shutters open.
The pods with crew still mostly in crypsleep make planetfall (the colony leader and a few revived others choosing a suitable location and directing the pods from the ship in sync orbit).
Once the colony is down, computers slowly revive the colonists while the leader and party position the ship in stable orbit and take the last lander to the surface with whatever portable power supply is available to them.
There's "living off the land", but these are supermen for pete's sake- they'd want as much technology as possible to establish the best colony possible from the start.

I wonder how far Kahn's bunch made it before the star went all nova on them...I'd guess they had some advance warning (if only hours/days) to build additional (makeshift) radiation shielding for the cargo pods...
I gotta say, those stupid twiggy solar panel thingers bug me bigtime. I'd love to make a pristine DY-100 with huge outboard solar arrays: the Botany bay's having been sheared off decades ago by micrometeorites or what have you.
Hmmm...maybe the ones on the "BB" open up from those tiny packahes?

Ya know...the more I see STII, the more I see Kirk as the story's true villan- what a total prick to leave those people out there to die.
Imagine another universe where Kirk saves Kahn and they become...well, not pals, but at least respectful allies.
Again, fuck Kirk- history should judge him harshly.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that's true. I mean, Khan was a despot. Kirk rescued him from eternal floating in space, and Khan repaid him by stealing his ship and trying to kill him. Kirk sentenced him to exile. Seems fairly reasonable.

I was actually surprised by the ending of "Space Seed", not having seen it in a while. Kirk makes no promises to come back and check on Khan. He seems to make it pretty clear that his position is "I'm going to abandon you on this planet, and you'll probably never see civilization again". And Khan was cool with that. Just because an unforeseeable disaster later struck, that's not Kirk's fault.

Remember, these were criminals whose sentence was to be left to their own devices on a remote planet. Stopping by every few months to say "Hey, how's everything going here? Need anything? Food, medicine, towels?" kind of defeats the purpose.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again with the star going nove. It didn't! The next planet out went blooey (although I know of no astronomical reason why this would happen), and that altered Ceti Alpha V's orbit and fucked over the global climate.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps