Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG remastered (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: TNG remastered
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I looked at that display for the Pegasus and the nacelles look nothing like the one's on the Cheyenne. Hell I don't even know if those were nacelles on the display.
Obviously not, since Sternbach's design doesn't have four nacelles. Unless that display was supposed to be yet another design of an actual LCARS side-view ship display, which would make the Pegasus's primary hull as flat as a pancake, and the nacelles would be one-on-top-of-the-other, both dorsal and ventral.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you misunderstood me. By Cheyenne I meant this ship. I know that Sternbach's ship had only two nacelles. Also, don't you think that those displays could represent some other part of the ship?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: the Oberth issue...

Dukhat, you said that better than I ever could. Yes, I keep the two things distinct. I have no problem using the fandom Gagarin or FASA Sagan names for the Grissom's class -- but for me, an Oberth is something else again.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I'm hoping, if a TNG-remastering project does become a reality, that changes like this will be made. But as I said before, if they're just going to update the physical models with CGI of the same ships, I don't see the point.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, the Oberth-class was meant to look like this.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really argue with that, but somehow I feel like I should...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Obviously, the Oberth-class was meant to look like this.

Actually I think it was meant to look like this. [Big Grin]
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...what I linked to is actually CALLED Oberth-class, so...um..yeah.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well damn your right.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but for me, an Oberth is something else again."

So, for you, it doesn't make sense for a single class of ship to have been built over a span of 100 years or so, but it makes perfect sense for two identical classes of ship with different names to have been built at those two times?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means that when he watches TNG he imagines that the Oberth is a different design from the Grissom. (Which I think is whacky, personally, but whatever floats one's boat... [Wink] )

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Why? I just recognise the restrictions (time and money) on the producers of TNG. The folks in the art department wanted things that the VFX people often couldn't deliver on. So when I know a ship or class was intended to be something other than what we ended up with onscreen, I have no problem going with the intention for my own record-keeping purposes. It doesn't happen as often as it seems. The Oberth class was intended to be something other than what we got, and a couple other ships got defaulted to stock footage through the above-mentioned restraints.

--Jonah

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do understand where you're coming from, and I didn't mean to be critical. It's just that a basic tenet of my method of looking at the Star Trek universe is that what ultimately ends up onscreen (budget restrictions, warts, and all) is what counts. Period.

As I said, whatever floats one's boat...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Whereas I recognise that what we see on-screen is an imperfect reflection of what's "really" happening. I choose purity of intention over rationalisation of shortfall. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
It's just that a basic tenet of my method of looking at the Star Trek universe is that what ultimately ends up onscreen (budget restrictions, warts, and all) is what counts. Period.
Which returns us to the original topic of this thread: TNG remastered. Let's say that they make a new CGI design for the Tsiolkovsky, one that was more in line with what Okuda & Sternbach imagined the ship to look like. Or even better, have multiple new CGI designs for each episode where the Grissom was used. Obviously, this change will now invalidate what was "formerly" canon and official, i.e. the Oberth class being a new design, multiple changes in the Encyclopedia (if a new one ever comes out, which is unlikely) and the Grissom-type ship now being relegated to just Star Trek III.

So what's canon now?

Obviously the answer to this question will ultimately rest with the individual viewer. But I personally think the whole point is moot, because I doubt they'll make changes like what I've just described.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps