Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » September 28, 1987 - "Encounter at Farpoint" Premieres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: September 28, 1987 - "Encounter at Farpoint" Premieres
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNG is 20 years old this week, and everyone's going on about Star Wars' 30th. [Razz]

11 years old, I was in my parents' bedroom, taping the premiere on Betamax while mom got dinner ready. I remember being amazed at how DIFFERENT everything looked on that 13" television, and how much I hated the Galaxy-class Enterprise's shape - at the time, I remarked that the stardrive section without the saucer looked far more proportionate to how the Enterprise SHOULD look. I looked in amazement when Deforrest Kelley showed up to give the show a TOS blessing, and cheered when the Hood showed up (thus validating my love for the design when most 80s Trek fans despised it). And I remember the shock at discovering that Farpoint was alive, as my pre-pubescent naivete couldn't grasp the meaning of the identical sets and Troi's hammy reactions. Ahh, those were the days.

Happy 20th, TNG! Where were YOU guys when you saw the premiere?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to make you feel old... but I would've been three when it originally aired in the US.

Though I reckon it must've been a good half decade later when I got to see it on the BBC. I can't really recall my first taste of TNG, but I since I was so young and I loved TOS, I imagine I was quite accepting of something that was clearly Star Trek, even if it was decidedly less colourful.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 15. We had it on the TVs in the living room and in my parents bedroom. I kept running back and forth watching from either set, and talking with my dad about the show.

During the commercials by buddy would call and we'd talk about the episode. Ahh the days before the Internet and all these chat features...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was two, so I obviously don't remember the first airing. Probably didn't even see it. But I have very distinct memories of watching early eps on my grandmother's television. I rarely thought to watch it at home until DS9 started. But when we were at my grandparents' there was little to do, so I'd watch TNG on a fuzzy black and white TV. I remember seeing parts of Heart of Glory, Conspiracy, and The Royale. I wish I'd been mature enough to understand what was going on and really appreciate its significance.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was plunked down in front of the TV, aged 12. I'd been looking forward to it for months as I'd kept up with the updates provided in STARLOG, even the drawings of Enterprise that Andy Probert had provided. I remember how frantically worried I was when I couldn't find any episodes for the weeks after that & when "The Naked Now" showed up in January, I was SURE I'd missed months of backstory.

Interestingly enough. I still have the videotape I made of that initial pilot, complete with 1987 commercials.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You couldn't wait four days for this post, Mark? [Smile]

I was ... nine.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wasn't interested in TNG when it first came out. I think the first episode which really got me curious was "The Best of Both Worlds". The two parter was certainly a draw for most people to TNG.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNG finally started in the UK on BBC2 in 1990, believe it or not. I think Sky had been showing it already.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was all of 18 months old. My mom was off doing something--don't remember what, but she wasn't in the house--and my dad plopped me in front of the TV and said "hey, you'll like this." As it happens, I was fascinated, even though I didn't really "get" it at the time.

(For what it's worth, I don't actually remember this; my dad told me the story. I do remember watching TNG as a littl'un, though.)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 13. I do remember that I watched it every week, but for some reason, the thing I remember most is the Cheerios promotion where you could get a poster of the Enterprise and enter a contest to visit the set or something.

Oh, and here's something I made for the anniversary. [Big Grin]
 -

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kawaii!!!

Bottom left, is that a Q? So cute...

Fourth row, next to last, what is that? Think it's familiar.

Don't know any of the Enterprise aliens as I've only seen one episode, when the yankee and the brit are trapped in an escape pod. Blew my socks off, that.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's awesome. I'm pretty sure they're all supposed to be TNG aliens. Let's see here:

Human, Bajoran, Ferengi, Bolian, Andorian

Vulcan, Romulan, Borg, Trill, Cardassian

Klingon, ?????, Benzite, ?????, Zakdorn

Q (or any number of energy beings), ????? (poss. those wierd guys who had Riker trapped in an asylum), Child of Tama, ?????, Pakled

16/20 = good for Mark. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, all of them appeared on TNG!

Human, Bajoran, Ferengi, Bolian, Andorian
Vulcan, Romulan, Borg, Trill, Cardassian
Klingon, Android (like Data), Benzite, Bynar, Zakdorn
Q, the Traveler's species, Child of Tama (or Tamarian), Tarchannen III species (that Geordi turned into), Pakled

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Line 3 position 2 - Data
Line 4 position 4 - The creature Geordi starts to turn into.
Line 3 position 4 = ??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Ahh, okay. I thought it was a Bynar, but they're typically more purple, so...

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps