Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » A Quick Thought On the Lack Of Refits Around (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Quick Thought On the Lack Of Refits Around
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having trouble with the saucers not all being modular, or at least, if they didn't keep up with current thinking and realized their mistake, being able to make the saucers modular.

Thinking even more along these lines what kind of shape could a ship take on if all parts are modular? A shorter neck, more tucked in nacelles, and a shorter engineering section would like like what? Connie MkIII? Make the neck tiny, cut the engineering section in third or quarter, and give the nacelles a slight down angle would look kind of Mirande like.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are modular in the sense that given types of rooms for given decks will have similar footprints, and that you can arrange the internal volume of each deck from a handy catalogue of preset templates, and then link it all together with chunks of turboshaft and corridor. That said, the internal volume of a Saladin HAS to have a completely different layout from that of a Constitution, simply because of everything the Connie has in its secondary hull that the Sallie is lacking.

Bear in mind that even with the "not wanting to confuse viewers" BS, we still had an Enterprise (shorthand for post-refit Constitution so I don't have to keep typing the word "refit") fighting at Wolf 359.

I don't think there was any clear demarcation of "pre-refit" and "post-refit". I am more of the opinion that Constututions were cycled in for refits as needs and patrol schedules allowed. And they'd be upgraded where possible and viable. By the time of the Big Refit of the Enterprise, I doubt any Constitutions were identical to each other any more, and we'd have some not-quite-TMP-looking ships like fandom's "Constitution (II)" Phase 2-derived design kicking around immediately prior. I think the Miranda was already flying around in the 2260s with more-or-less its TWOK appearance, albeit with different warp engines and a different bridge (Soyuz-style?). Then the Decatur and Belknap were used as testbeds for the TMP-style warp engines. And when the Enterprise went in, she got all of the systems upgrades those classes had pioneered -- new hull materials, new warp engines, new reactor design, new phasers and torpedoes, new computers, new bridge, new impulse engines, et cetera. By the time she was finished, she'd had more quantitative and more qualitative refitting than any other Constitution thus far, and warranted a new class designation (until Starfleet streamlined subclasses a decade or so later).

That amounted to a new lease on life for a thirty-year-old design, and whilst refit Constitutions were likely still phased out after only a couple-decade extension of their service lives, newbuild Enterprises probably continued to serve actively until the Cardassian Wars of the 2340s, and even later in Reserve fleets.

[Big Grin]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liken it to the conversions of the old Essex and Midway class carriers. There were massive changes as shown below.

Here is a shot of Midway Pre-Conversion:
 -

And here's a shot after Modernization:

-

and some plan views of the massive flight deck changes:

-

IIRC, the Midway was launched in 1944 and only decommissioned in 2000. (Not sure of the exact date) She was a viable weapons system the entire time. The same COULD be true for the Connies.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, they turned her into signal flags? I must've missed that bit. Also, I think I have the book that Midway scan came from because it's awful familiar.

Also, from the NVR:

Award Date: 08/01/1942
Keel Date: 10/27/1943
Launch Date: 03/20/1945
Age (since launch)(At time of disposal) 58.4 years
Delivery Date: 09/01/1945
Age (since delivery) (At time of disposal): 57.9 years
Commission Date: 10/10/1945
Decommission Date: 04/11/1992
Years from Commission to Decommission: 46.5
Stricken Date: 03/17/1997

Remarks: MIDWAY WAS DONATED TO THE SAN DIEGO AIRCRAFT CARRIER MUSEUM.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, they must have moved the image. Hate trusting other peoples sites.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Midway CV-41

Pre-Mod:
 -

1st Mod (SCB 110)
 -

2nd Mod (SCB 101.66)
 -

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someplace I have seen a shot of the SCB 110 version, from the port side, with the bow elevator down part way and used as a parking lot for the crew's POVs when it was headed out to Japan.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.midway.org/

I went to see Midway in San Diego this summer, and got a very good look at her. While she had mostly been restored to her 1960s look, the boat was still very modern-looking after almost sixty years of service. The brand new carrier USS Reagan was just across the bay (and we got a good look at her in a harbor tour the next day) and aside from size, you really couldn't tell the difference in design. The docents on the tour insist that when she was decomissioned, there was really nothing wrong with her except for her age on paper. She could have kept sailing for many more years.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that she wasn't able to handle some of the more modern designs.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

She could have made a good ASW carrier though, and S-3s aren't all that new.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Bear in mind that even with the "not wanting to confuse viewers" BS, we still had an Enterprise (shorthand for post-refit Constitution so I don't have to keep typing the word "refit") fighting at Wolf 359.

Yeah, but it was in two pieces and half destroyed. I doubt most of the viewing audience watching that scene shouted "hold on a cotton-picking minute... what's the movie Enterprise doing there?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I visited the Midway a year or so ago, a docent I was speaking with said that the diesel fuel required by the ship restricted how much aviation fuel and weapons that could be carried. The Midway could only support about a week of constant flight operations before resupplying. A nuclear carrier, which obviously doesn't burn any sort of fossil fuel, could carry enough aviation fuel and weaponry for about a month of operations.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:

Yeah, but it was in two pieces and half destroyed. I doubt most of the viewing audience watching that scene shouted "hold on a cotton-picking minute... what's the movie Enterprise doing there?"
I recognized the windows of the botanical section right off on my first viewing. Spotted the saucer on the second or third. But then, I'm something of a special snowflake in pitiable Trekkie geek circles. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the hardcore fans would have recognised it, but the mainstream audience wouldn't have. And even if they did, it was in a situation where they couldn't have gotton confused.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The back shot of the colour picture of the refit-Midway - the part under the runway - reminds me a little of the 'underslung' "shuttlebay" of the Excelsior class (starship). [Wink]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps