Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The STXII Movie Ideas Discussion (and Halflings) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The STXII Movie Ideas Discussion (and Halflings)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://trekmovie.com/2010/09/29/viral-video-star-wars-v-star-trek-movie-trailer/

I've not watched many videos on said subject (SW vs ST) but this one made me think, once again, about what we might see for the next movie (assuimg they make it)...

There's plenty to predict what will be there (After affects of both Post-Nero & ex-Vulcan) but what else? I know ive talked about this before but... i play halflings (and they like to talk) so...

1) All the bad things that happened to the Federation previously within Spock's understanding is available (possibly) so Feddy planners & INTEL folks might make plans to blunt shut events (V'Ger, the Whale Probe, The Bontany Bay, the DDM, various space cromazamo, the Borg)

Now you can imagine that this knowledge presented to the Feddy powers-that-be around this time will probably be horrified at the very least, especially in the various ways Spock explains how they solved them (well most of them)

2) some major events that happen to the Federation's foes (Praxis for the ridge-heads, the super nova for the Roms) & how the Feddy's can overcome the clear denials that will result)

3) the possibly of all those things happening anyway, regardless of what the feddy's do to counter, blunt or neuter the danger(s)

Ooooo shinies..... anyway, Talk!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want there to be Klingons. STXI entirely glossed it over, but the Nero & co. really went to town on their fleet too. So what are the Romulans going to do about it? Or would they prefer to go after the newly-weakened Earth, or what's left of Vulcan?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Teh PW
Member # 1203

obviously in cannon terms, the question of what, militarially or otherwise, does the Klingon Empire or the Romulan Empire do to either benifite from this loss the Federation suffered from the destruction of Vulcan... do they (the feds) cheat, use time travel to unfuck this? Do they accept this, secretly conceiling that they could do something & choose not too (the reason they dont doesnt matter, only the politcal timebomb matters)?

i kinda wish the book writers wasnt so cock-held cause the-what-ifs are innumerous at this time...

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was Earth newly weakened? My big question is why the bulk of Starfleet appeared to be stationed in one sector, the Laurentian System. What could be so important there that Starfleet would risk leaving its core worlds defenseless, or did they just drop the ball and fail to perceive the magnatude of Nero's actions.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STarfleet always drops the ball when it comes to protecting planets- earth in particular gets screwed but Betazed also got caught with it's pants down.
in that case, it was said that their defenses were out of date- implying that each world (or at least those without philosophical reasons not to) is at least partly in charge of it's own defense.

Vulcan and Andor have an advantage in that they had spacefaring military vessels prior to Federation membership and likely maintain some sort of "home fleet"- particularly after the Cardassian War and Borg incursions.

...as this applies to the Abramsverse and it's poorly thought out structure of fleet opertions is anyone's guess.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you go? Is there a Daniels in the future? What prevented the TimeCopFeds from stopping this? What about the Gaurdian? That's the problem with all the Time Travel crap. Where do you stop and say they CAN'T go back and hit that big red shiney RESET?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
How was Earth newly weakened?

All the Starfleet ships that Nero destroyed before the Enterprise got to Vulcan.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Teh PW
Member # 1203

uhh that was 6 or 7 ships, known Feddy cruisers, light cruisers, or frigates? or you talking about the much larger loss that the ridge-heads took? Unless Nero nailed several civilian or star fleet ships inroute to Vulcan, the only loss the feddy's stomach was Vulcan itself, the blow to the federation's base. The ridge-heads on the other hand, will merely freak, build a shit more ships & and maybe cause Praxis to go boom earlier...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Where do you go? Is there a Daniels in the future? What prevented the TimeCopFeds from stopping this? What about the Gaurdian? That's the problem with all the Time Travel crap. Where do you stop and say they CAN'T go back and hit that big red shiney RESET?

Exactly- that's why I look at the Abramsverse stuff as "an alternate reality" like the ones Worf kept jumping into in Parallels- not affecting the TNG timeline at all.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. The events of the JJ Verse are entirely separate to that of anything we ever saw in 'normal' Trek. Meaning that reality can keep going. It just doesn't have Spock in it anymore, oh and there's no Romulus. That fits in nicely with the issues in All Good Things... that there was a problem with The Romulan Star Empire and the Klingons had taken over.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Teh PW
Member # 1203

reality for STO maybe, and yes, maybe for AGT's point of view too... but not the books, destiny (and back to the books are semi-cannon/totally non-cannon debate) wise...

its like the series totally fragmented after the last TNG movie... into so many possible realities... which continues to be prime universe?

as for Daniel's, maybe he can't interfer because when the temporal war was 'won', either they no longer had authority to intervine or the ability to...

i wonder... dos anyone know or have contact with some of the older power brokers in all things Trek, if in fact they too are gripping with these questions? or is it just a property to be managed like all TM'ed properties? o.O

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Of course. The events of the JJ Verse are entirely separate to that of anything we ever saw in 'normal' Trek. Meaning that reality can keep going. It just doesn't have Spock in it anymore, oh and there's no Romulus. That fits in nicely with the issues in All Good Things... that there was a problem with The Romulan Star Empire and the Klingons had taken over.

The destruction of Romulus doesn't necessitate the extinction of the Romulan Race. I assume there are other populated worlds in the empire.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any future Abrams movie, will likely take into account none of these questions. Making it an alternate timeline was done precisely so they wouldn't have to worry about how it ties in with established material. I don't think we'll see a revisiting of Prime-verse events from the TOS era. This timeline will continue with completely different events. At least onscreen. I think the next movie will be a good old-fashioned action adventure thing. Freaky aliens, hot chicks, and Kirk will end up with his shirt off. Just like TOS should be.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Teh PW
Member # 1203

*nods* that would be the cheap & sadly, american way to do it... its how D&D has managed to say 'fuck-off' to previous royalty leachs over the years...

though i do agree on how you think it'll turn out... i just hope that they consider the big events in TOS/TMP/TNG histories...

surely it can't be that the arrival of Nero caused the DDM, Nomad, The Whale Probe, V'Ger or even the Bountany Bay to not happen, could it?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nero arrived after V'Ger, Botany Bay and Nomad were launched, so they'd all still be good. Whale Probe and Doomsday Machine, well... if you believe the novels, they're both issues with Borg so who knows what happened there.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps