Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ideas for series 5 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ideas for series 5
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make sure them thar doohickeys ain't set on "y'all coulda knocked me over with a feather." 8)

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anymore info on what this contemporary, no technobabble Trek is going to be about? And what does contemporary mean in Trek? The show isn't contemporary, it takes place 400 years in the future for crying out loud. I want to see something with a continuing story line, more like Star Wars or B5. It's what DS9 tried way too late to do.

Trek's biggest story flaw is that nobody thinks ahead and plans out how one season will effect another. So everything has a very isolated feel. Then when you want to go back and add something, you've got to deal with the fact that the two events were nevr really supposed to interact in the first place.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Characters I'd like to see on a new show, just because:

An Andorian female (I just like women painted blue). Andorians are supposed to be very martial, so there's a possible security chief. Or a background tendency for another officer. (an agressive helmsman?)

A Kzin. (we have the computer technology, we can build him.) Another possible security head honcho. Even the Jem'Hadar would think twice about facing down a 8', 400# intelligent tiger with an attitude problem.

Klingon. Second in command, foil for the captain.

Romulan. Acting Ensign or Acting LtJg, only, cause we still don't trust the Romulans. Perhaps they did something unwise just after the end of the war. Acting as guide to area. Probably has secrets. Probably returns distrust.

Cardassian Science Officer? just because I liked the "vipers"

a few more human officers to round up the crew.

We need something truly new for the "alien" character, though. I dunno. A clone? Some race that only played a bit part before? A Horta?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Ballo and I have been reading the same books :)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that a alien-yet-thinks-and-talks-and-looks-almost-100%-like-a-human is the necxt step. It may be something like Captain Calhoun, from the NF novel series. That's it! we should bring in Peter David to help!

Actually, Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin might be kinda cool as co-creators of a Trek series.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOOOO! No Peter "spawn of Satan" David!

Die! Die!

*jumps up and down on Peter David voodoo doll*

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::Adds another to the list of Calvin & Hobbes fans::

How do they expect to make a show with no technobabble?!

::Plots to have Brannon Braga and his puppet Rick Berman shot from a cannon::

------------------
7 of 9 alarm clock: "Wake up. Resistance is futile."
Dilbert: "I wonder if I could ever date a woman like Jeri Ryan."
7 of 9 alarm clock: "That too is futile."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited November 10, 1999).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are more rumors about series 5. A website called SF Crowsnest (http://207.201.173.29//sfnews/newse1199.htm) says that the Berman/Braga show involves a ship called USS Excellent (3x larger than EntD) that is helping a Federation-like alliance being invaded by a bunch of genetically enhanced barbarians (similar to the "Supermen" of the Eugenics war, but they won). Supposedly the captain will be an alien and Q will appear in the first episode.

Please take this with a big hunk o' salt.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a bad "Sliders" episode.

"Captain Krax! The CroMags are attacking again!"

*looks quizzically at Montgomery*

I've never read anything by Peter David that I didn't like. Especially "Hulk: Future Imperfect"

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books :)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did somebody say "Calvin and Hobbes"...? *gets himself a new status line* :-)

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that "The Icy Black Hand of Death" would be a better name for a club...

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for a wierd character, a CGI would seem to be the next step, but I shy away from it for some reason. We had a sentient mass of circuits as a main character, then we had a big glob of liquid as a main character, then we had someone who isn't even there as a main character. What's left, having the computer itself be alive?

Just a minute. A living ship? Anyone like the sound of that?

As for the Kzin, did they originate in Ringworld and spread into all other sci-fi from there, or did I miss something?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount bought the right to use Niven's Kzin in an episode or two of the animated series.

As far as a CGI character...thanks but no thanks. I have yet to see any such character I would want to watch on a regular basis. They either have no personality, or I want to throttle them repeatedly.

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A rumor about the new series (originally from SF Crowsnest) which I posted on the parallel series 5 thread says that they are thinking about making the captain (!) a CGI alien. However, a captain can't be a clown like Jar Jar Binks; he or she must interact believably and dramatically with the other characters. Also, I don't think you could produce that much CGI on a weekly basis. It would make filming much too difficult.

About the Kzin: Really? They actually bought them from Larry Niven? That's amazing. Has anyone heard of anything similar (except in comic book crossovers)?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, they negotiated rights to adapt one Kzin story for one episode of TAS. They did not, however, gain the rights to use the Kzin in perpetuity.

One of those cat-like people (Caitians?) wouldn't be difficult though.

There seem to be a few fans this might please. There is even a fan-fic comic featuring a Caitian, though it's not quite serious in tone: Haul Trek.

--Baloo

------------------
Remember: pillage before you burn!
[ol]-- G. Khan[/ol]
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps