Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ideas for series 5 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ideas for series 5
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Niven himself wrote that episode of TAS and used the Kzinti in it.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please enlighten my slow mind. What is TAS, who is Niven, and what is the race you mentioned. I must be a little behind on something.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I can give you some partial details.

1. TAS = Star Trek: The Animated Series
2. Larry Niven is an author of the Ringworld novel(s)?
3. The Kzin supposedly are a race of 'cat-like humanoids' from his novels - and since he wrote an episode of TAS - he used this race as an adversary. (I haven't seen that episode in question) What I have seen of TAS, hasn't been that bad.
4. Think of the Kzin as Kilrathi(esque) from the Wing Commander III computer game, at least - I didn't get I, II or IV or see the movie.
5. I like my idea that the Tzenkethi might be an alternate name of the Kzin - like Humans are to 'Earthlings' or 'Terrans'. The names look Kzintish...

Andrew

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited November 12, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, the episode of TAS that Niven rote is essentially a retelling of his Known Space story "The Slaver Weapon," With Spock playing the part of the Pierson's Puppetteer.

I suppose the truth is that they were short on stories at the time... I just love the idea of the Kzin.

Larry Niven: SF author, writing alone and often in tandem with Jerry Pournelle. Wrote, among other things,

Oath of Fealty (origin of my fave quote, "think of it as evolution in action.")
The Mote in God's Eye (and its sequel)
Ringworld (and its sequels)
The Man-Kzin Wars (and sequels)
The ARM stories
The Legacy of Heorot (and its sequel)
Rainbow Mars
A World out of Time
Fallen Angels
The Integral Trees (and its sequel)
Dream Park (and its sequels)

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books :)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, "The Man-Kzin Wars" is a cooperative anthology. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote a couple of the stories, but it's actually a shared-world series. I recall seeing the intro in the first installment and either Larry Niven or Jerry Pournelle (or both) claimed that although they wanted to write stories about the Man-Kzin wars, they realized that war stories weren't their strong suit. Instead, they recruited authors who were good at the genre, filled them in on the background, and had them start filling in the blanks.

The Niven/Pournelle stories are quite good, but the others are just as interesting.

--Baloo

------------------
Remember: pillage before you burn!
-- G. Khan
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 12, 1999).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To respond to the CGI character idea, I think I would hate it. Jar Jar looked cool (the character got annoying) but he still wasn't perfect. The CGI effects for a series regular would have to be about 5 times better. And they wouldn't be, so I'd hate it.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind how fast computer technology improves nowadays. Can't find the tech to live up to your idea? Wait six months, you'll be able to do it.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books :)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd like to see the Tzenkethi be a bit more...unique. Quite possibly CGI in nature. Why? Well, all of Trek's seldom seen aliens tend to be more mysterious than your average Tarellian. Breen-humanoid in general form but unknown features. Tholians-cyrstaline...things.

Which reminds me, Tholians for Trek X!

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps