Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$Continuity Police Bulletin$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$Continuity Police Bulletin$$$
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you just love that title?

Anyway, in the latest episode, we learn a very pertinent fact that violates previous Star Trek continuity.

For the first colonization mission outside of the Terran System, the mission planners were looking for a world that could be a home for humans. They didn't find a world within 20 light years of the system.

Why is this important?

In Star Trek lore, Alpha Centauri has been identified as a world where humans did create a colony. There are a few references to this system in Star Trek: "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Metamorphosis" are two examples. This system is 4 light years from the Terran System.

[This episode, "Terre Nova", has violated 'canon' in other ways, like the history of colonization by humans.]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was never explicitly stated if Alpha Centauri was a colony or a world already inhabited by some race.

AC could've already been colonized by Vulcans, for example.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then colonized slightly AFTER Terra Nova, thanks to technologies that made colonization possible where it was initially considered to be impossible. Perhaps in the 2090s or so.

Still plenty of time for Cochrane to make a trip there and back at warp 2 or so and earn his nickname.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[This episode, "Terre Nova", has violated 'canon' in other ways, like the history of colonization by humans.]

You mind explaining in more detail?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woo-woo! woo-woo!
Officer Snay has stopped a 'continuity mentioning' offender dead in his tracks. He tried to outrun him by saying 'canon' instead, but Snay saw through it.. looks like this perp is going to have to explain himself for implying that it is possible for ENT to violate canon!!!
Good Job, cont-cops

He probably means the Voyager Mars-2103 quote

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember reading the Novel, "Federations" which told the story of Cochrane's first Warp Flight.

Tho' it is a non-canon, it still made use of Alpha Centauri being the first colonized planet .. and that it was Cochrane that colonized it. This would have happen, circa 10 years before the Terra Nova expedition.

One could argue that the launch was done at the same time .. or around the same era... *Shrugs* Who am I to say..

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, dear god, Mike, don't make a big deal over it!

I'm just wondering what makes Enterprise a violation. And speaking of which, since Enterprise takes place before TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY, doesn't that make them the violators?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad boys, Bad boys. Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do? / Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

Paramount Studios, CA:
"We're answering a call about a possible timeline implausibility at this address. I guess maybe someone didn't feel like looking at the old scripts and just kind of put a date in there that sounded good. You know this isn't the first time we been out here..."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pictures Brannon Braga in a wife beater answering the door the the writers offices*

'I didnt *BLEEP* do nothin'! what the *BLEEP*!?'

"Whoa, now calm down there son.."

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

These stories are about the men and women of continuity enforcement. All suspect are innocent until prooven guilty. Parental Discretion IS ADVISED.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a very bad habit that there are always "firsts" and "onlies" where it would have been sufficient to say that it was "early" or "one of few".

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The habit started in the days of TOS, BTW. I'm rewatching all these eps on SCI-FI channel, and everything they encounter is new, nothing like they've seen before etc, etc. A cheap way to heighten drama.
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going with the theory that Q got bored with the universe between ENT and TOS, and he changed the events that "happened", and got bored again between ST6:TUDC, and made everything twisted around (goodbye Eugenics Wars and Khan and hello WW3 and the post atomic horror). And that is why we never talk about the Eugenics Wars from TNG on.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Crusher:
I am going with the theory that Q got bored with the universe between ENT and TOS, and he changed the events that "happened", and got bored again between ST6:TUDC, and made everything twisted around (goodbye Eugenics Wars and Khan and hello WW3 and the post atomic horror). And that is why we never talk about the Eugenics Wars from TNG on.

And then Q changed things back to the TOS version so that the Eugenics Wars could be mentioned in "Dr. Bashir I Presume?" (DS9), right?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
200 years later than they were originally...

(And as much as I like Federation, trying to fit it into post First Contact continuity isn't the easiest job in the world.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps