Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Another Topic Regarding the Borg ($$$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Topic Regarding the Borg ($$$$)
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry everyone...I didn't know that...
Once again, I'd like to apologize....

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We're a community here, and a community respects its individuals."

Apparently, right up until the point at which they unwittingly do something you don't like, and then you bite their head off? Interesting concept...

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest we move on, what.

What? Oh, right. Uh...how 'bout them Borgsters, eh? I bet they like to go.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think about the evolution of a society, the Borg could've existed a thousand or two years ago but not as we know them. They may have started out on a single planet and expanded though not with the full assimilation philosphy they have now. They may have only attained the power and notoriety in the last few centuries.

One problem I have with everybody knowing about the Borg though. How do you know about a species like that in such detail without them knowing about you. Everybody in the DQ seems to have heard of the Borg but they haven't been totally assimilated. Also, it seems as though the Borg should be alot farther spread than they are. Once you assimilate an entire region, there's not a whole lot of need to keep alot of troops aand ships there. There's no more resistance. There's no chance of attack. The Borg don't appear interested in colonization. Planets could be used for raw materials and construction, but I find it hard to believe that so many of the Borg ships are consentrated in Borg Space. Course, we don't know how many ships the Borg have. Maybe relatively few.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is consistent to have races learn a thing or two about the Borg before being assimilated. It kinda puts the Feds in their place as a typical assimilation victim, instead of a brave stronghold of resistance.

Apparently, the Borg normally assimilate species at a relatively leisurely pace, sending single cubes to test the defences. This gives plenty of time for the victim to come to know the Borg. And this is a good thing, because then the victim can try to devise advanced defenses that the Borg can eventually assimilate.

Perhaps within the next century or two, the Borg will do to Earth what they did to Arturis' people prior to "Hope and Fear": they send multiple cubes and flatten the futile resistance. But not before the victim has developed something like slipstream warp or long-range teleporters or really powerful beam weapons or a new flavor of strawberry that makes them worth assimilating.

The Aardwar (what would the official spelling be?) may have seen the Borg assimilate some neighboring planets at this slow pace, and come to the erroneus conclusion that the Borg were weak.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Federation and, presumably, everyone around them know about the Borg, but they haven't been assimilated. I think it makes sense that everyone in the DQ would know about this "scourge of the galaxy", even if they haven't been done in by them.

And I think I saw someone spell it "Vaarduar", but I don't know for sure. When I watched the episode, I never even figured out quite how it was pronounced... *L*

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The captioning said "Vaadwaur".

And I still want to know the nature of the relations between the Dominion and the Borg. They have to know about each other, and the Dominion has such a high level of technology that the Borg couldn't resist them. There'd have to be a stalemate. Maybe the Jem'Haddar and Vorta are designed to be impervious to assimilation, and their ships are designed to blow up if borded by Borg? That would keep Dommie tech out of Borg hands, and the Dominion could easily handle a single cube if the Borg couldn't adapt.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the Dominion and the Borg know about each other? They're almost as far away from each other as each is from the Federation, and since the Dominion didn't have Q to accelerate their contact, and there's no known Delta-Gamma wormhole, I see no reason for the two to have any relation at all.

The Dominion might know about the Borg from their contact with the Federation, and vice versa, but there's no reason to assume that they MUST interact.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've placed spoiler marks at the title. Saboc, in the future, if you do plan to post something that has to do with a new ep or movie, please place dollar signs in your title as I have done above.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two: I agree. I think the assumption is so far that the Borg have not yet reached Dominion Space. Although, it's certainly possible that the Borg have met some Dommie ships in the AQ during the war. Oooooh, how 'bout this? What if one of the hundred infant changelings sent out by the founders wandered into Borg space and and was assimilated? A changeling drone? Oooooooh. I kinda like that.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh yeah, and I also can see your points about the Borg's leisurely pace of assimilation. They are certainly taking their time with the Feds. If there are almost always a few survivors, like Guinan and her friends, then word would tend to spread about this hostile force.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps