Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Continuity Violation $$$ Terra Nova (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Continuity Violation $$$ Terra Nova
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized it... thanks to one of Ryan's posts.

The colony was launched 70 years ago. 2151-70 is around 2081 [plus or minus a 5 year margin is still within my range of this violation]. Archer says that Mars, specifically Utopia Planitia was colonized before this point in time. However Harry Kim specifically stated in "The 37's" that Mars was colonized in 2103.

Small thing? Maybe... I maintain that a prequel makes such small comments extremely hard to keep consistant.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't we just get everybody to post the same discussion in the same thread? If you wonder of what I speak, I speak of this thread. J's post would've answered a question of mine (good thing I looked at this thread).

Is it really so hard to click on "Enterprise" and see, oh, gee, there's always a thread on the topic I want to discuss!!!!!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. At the time that I checked there were no threads specifically about the timeline issue, only about the Alpha Centuari and 20 ly issue.

2. I hadn't checked other threads that didn't have topics unrelated to this one. Specifically that at least three other posters had realized the same thing I did... including Ryan and Siegfried... but I had yet to read those threads yet [simply because they didn't have a closely related topic].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps 2103 was the date of the first permanent colony on Mars, but UP had been settled and abandoned at some point before that?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it wasn't originally a permanant settlement, with rotating crews, like the space station. Or perhaps it was only incorporated in 2103.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a military (or otherwise governmental) outpost which wasn't colonized by civilians (or at least non-NASA-equivalent people) until later.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Kim has dyslexia and meant 2013.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR, it wasn't until 2103 that the Fundamental Declarations of Mars were written.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got an exact quote on this? I'm sure no one actually bothered to record Voyager, but...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have the episode but I remember Kim's words almost verbatim:

Earhart: "Blah blah blah something about Martians invading Earth."

Kim: Actually, it was the other way around you stupid bitch. People from Earth colonized Mars in 2103.

Like I said, 'almost verbatim'.

But we already know that NASA/ISA/whatever was already performing flag and bootprint missions in the 2030s.

My own speculation of early Earth space exploration goes by the idea that pre-WWWIII Earth explored the solar system out as far as Saturn ('Tommorrow Is Yesterday') before WWWIII. Then the planet goes into the shitter and we don't get back out there until Cochrane.

Here, "Enterprise" actually manages to support fan speculation! After Cochrane flew, humanity began colonizing the major points of the solar system before heading out into deep space for good. According to me, anyway. Something that annoyed me however, was the further attempts at psuedo-continuity. New Berlin was mentioned in "First Contact". And we've never heard of anything other than Utopia Planitia when it comes to Mars. Some umpteen million people on the moon (according to Riker), and probably multiply that by a dozen for Mars, and you'd think there would be more than one city. Of course, now we have the idea that Utopia and New Berlin are the oldest cities on Luna and Mars. Now, how often in history has the first established settlement become the biggest city? Plymouth vs. New York City.

Nitpicking, yes, but so be it.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Crusher is from the moon, but not from New Berlin.
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dr. Crusher is from the moon."

"Yes, so you spent you childhood on the moon, right?"

I don't know, "moon" sounds somewhat funny when used with people. "Where are you from?" "The moon."

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Tycho City also mentioned as a lunar city in First Contact?

Anyway, I could see that it is possible for the first settlements on Luna and Mars to be among the biggest. Both planets have wide expansion areas, but you can't actually use that area since there's no air, water, or ground vegetation. For those reasons, I can see the first settlement on Luna being a city with interconnected additions. In 2067, the core of the city is built. In 2070, 2073, etc, additions are built onto the city to expand it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Perhaps 2103 was the date of the first permanent colony on Mars, but UP had been settled and abandoned at some point before that?

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Perhaps it wasn't originally a permanant settlement, with rotating crews, like the space station. Or perhaps it was only incorporated in 2103.

Or perhaps, TPTB are falling down on the job when it comes to maintaining "continuity." Just a thought...

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One pretty strong candidate for a violation is all that we can come up with thus far, even though the producers have 500+ hours of material to be "continuous" with, and you say they are falling down on the job? Talk about a
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps