Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Continuity Violation $$$ Terra Nova (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Continuity Violation $$$ Terra Nova
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you talk to some members *cough*TargetEmployee!*cough* Enterprise already *has* negative viewership.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all boils down to:

Is every 1701 bridge readout a logical, scientific development of every NX-01 readout?

Is every TMP bridge readout a logical, scientific development of every TOS readout?

Are the uniform preferences of TOS a logical, sociological development from the ENT era?

Are the women's attitudes a logical sociological development from the ENT era?

See, if I were to fly off into the sky tomorrow like Superman, that would be consistent with my not being able to fly today. Would it be a logical scientific development, though?

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
suspending a little disbelief for a moment, imagine that the 1701 computer monitors on the bridge actually had moving graphics that just werent apparent.. build the bridge,except with current technology okuda-backlit displays and monitors (using the red/yellow/green display scheme and rectangle format), and i think it wouldnt be so bad.. and changing the lighting a little would radically alter the look of a new Trek production set during TOS.. i know that 'Trials' had to be lit like that to match the old footage, but sticking to the orginal look and embellishing here and there would go a long way to show a futuristic, yet stylistic future.

I dont think people thought in the 60s that trek looked like a definite track our future design standards would look, but one of the reasons i love it is because of its look, which is partially unrealistic.
This same argument goes to the really 70s TMP (Len McCoys lapels and disco medallion), the 80s look of the movies and the beginning of TNG (those episodes arent looking so great now that the 80s are over), its all reflecting the times so it wouldnt really hurt to have a flashback production that also reflects those

If they made a whole new series on the Trials & Tribbleations sets, i would be overjoyed

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right that "reflecting-the-times" is the way Trek has been produced. But does it make sense to try and mold these different pieces together, when producers cared little about preserving the same production design throughout Trek, letting it reflect the times?

If they had taken active care to ensure everything was a logical development of what came before and what came after, the shows would've looked differently. If they hadn't, what's the point of us doing so? We must rather assume that we're looking at an artistic depiction of the Trek universe, and that the 'real' Trek universe looks a bit different.

I'd like to take the discussion to another level and try and figure out how the Trek universe would've been different if it had taken on a logical, real-world-like development that can be scientifically explained and traced, rather than reflecting any of the periods from 1960s to 2000s. That kind of logical development happened certainly during the fourteen years of the TNG era, during the film era (except for maybe TMP), and during the three years of TOS. Between TOS and TMP there is this sudden, unrealistic shift. Same as between "Enterprise" and TOS.

Maybe the "unrealism" is just my personal opinion, but it's very blatant.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
I'd like to take the discussion to another level and try and figure out how the Trek universe would've been different if it had taken on a logical, real-world-like development that can be scientifically explained and traced, rather than reflecting any of the periods from 1960s to 2000s. That kind of logical development happened certainly during the fourteen years of the TNG era, during the film era (except for maybe TMP), and during the three years of TOS. Between TOS and TMP there is this sudden, unrealistic shift. Same as between "Enterprise" and TOS.

And that's the problem... TOS didn't even look like a logical extension of the sixties technology, to say nothing of that in First Contact. Bringing Star Wars briefly back into things, Lucas could reuse props and even the "feel" because the movie-budget props from 1977 don't look all that bad even by today's standards. Television-budget props from 1967, though, looked like shit at the time, much less today.

Even in the sixties, people had to assume that there was some level of budget neccessity. If we assume that the designs from the original series are essentially accurate, but with modern execution, the problem becomes drastically less severe. So yeah, I can see your point, and I agree; but I think it's safe to say that even if no other Star Trek had been produced since, the original series was a budget-constrained interpretation of the 2260s, not an exact facsimile.

Oh yeah, and I also agree about the Natalie Portman bit.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Compare that to the continuity Lucas maintained between TPM and the other movies. I was stunned when I saw that he even kept the same font in the opening crawl."

Because, at the end of the day, the font didn't look dated. So it could be kept. If the font had been some late 70s LED looking thing, it would have been replaced, because it would have looked horrible.

The font Trek used for TMP looked fine, and was still being used for Voyager, over 20 years later.

"None of the changes they made in CGI techniques or vessels seriously affects the perception that this movie is a part of the other three."

The thing is, a lot of Star Wars is set on planetary surfaces, out in the open. You don't need to change Tatooine to look more modern, because it isn't suppossed to be modern. That's a world away from the fairly huge problem of trying to design a bridge to look futuristic, but less futuristic that a similar set designed 35 years ago that now looks slightly quaint.

(And, as an aside, there are a fair few arguements for TMP rewriting cannon, even in regards to the films. Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda, and took it upon himself to train Anakin, against Obi-Wan being trained by Qui-Gon, and considering Anakin to be an annoying little shit. Sure, you can argue that they might get resolved, but I'd put money that some won't, and will require the fans to jump through hoops to explain them).

Also, I do actually find a lot of ANH to look dated compared to ESB and ROTJ. The starship sets in particular. The Death Star never convinced me internally, especially compared to the far superiour sets used for the Star Destroyers in ESB. And compare the graphics of the Death Stars that the Rebels look at in ANH and ROTJ. That's a fairly big tecnology jump in 4 years of story-time.

Tim mentions in another thread that watching TOS today is occasionally hard, because the dated nature of the show ruins the suspension of disbelief that you've built up. If Enterprise had tried to look like a prequel to TOS (or like 30s Flash Gorden), the problem would have been even worse.

In the end, the difference comes down to tecnology. Enterprise has to look tecnologically inferior to TOS, without looking stupid. The SW prequels don't, because they aren't about the tecnology. And because they aren't our future. And we had enough people complaining that the Naboo fighters should have looked more like Z-95 Headhunters anyway...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps